Prospect Info: Viljami Marjala, F (159th overall, 2021)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
https://thehockeywriters.com/viljami-marjala-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

While Marjala is a strong skater, he does not have game-changing speed by any means. Even though he didn’t shoot as much with Quebec as he previously had, he still has a heavy and accurate shot. He prefers to shoot from in close than taking low-percentage shots. His playmaking is what turns heads. He uses his vision and enhanced instincts to create scoring chances for his teammates.

Marjala plays a smart and responsible defensive game. He understands his role and positions himself well on the ice. He plays much better than his listed 178 pounds. He battles hard for pucks and uses his body well to establish positioning on defense and protecting the puck when it’s in his possession.

Strengths

• Vision
  • Passing
  • Hockey IQ
Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Speed
  • Shot
  • Compete Level
NHL Potential

With the proper development, Marjala could be a middle-six winger in the NHL who is an option on the power play. He still needs to work on his speed and finishing plays before he can even consider turning pro. He will be a long-term project before he can even threaten for an NHL roster spot.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Solid pick.

High IQ, two-way playmaker. Can play center or wing. Not a dynamic guy but he plays a super smooth and smart game.

Needs to add a lot of strength/power to help in multiple facets of the game (engaging in battles, power on shot, more powerful skating)

Longshot but could see him developing into a nice bottom-9 piece.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Only watched 1 game of shifts, but I think this one might be my least favorite of our picks

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Top scoring non Canadian U18 in the Q last year, so he's got that going for him; which is nice.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like how he ended the year for the Remparts and now Quebec goes into the QMJHL playoffs starting on the 5th against Chicoutimi. Hoping he has a good playoff, would be an interesting darkhorse candidate as he had some earlier season struggles before putting together some quality production down the last 8-10 games of the season.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
When I was looking at the front page of HFSabres and I saw this name I immediately said who? I honestly don't remember the Sabres drafting this guy.. at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad