Prospect Info: Viljami Marjala, F (159th overall, 2021)

Koira666

Jun 3, 2019
4+12=16 points in 25 games so far. Really liked his game, not the strongest skater or the hardest shot but his hockey IQ and passing are outstanding. TPS is not the strongest team in Liiga, would be interesting to see him in Rochester later in the spring..

SabreHawk

Jul 6, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
He broke the team rookie scoring record! Need to sign him!

Attachments

• IMG_5755.jpeg
    IMG_5755.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 3

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Viljami Marjala has a 5 game playoff point streak going in Liiga postseason. 5 games 1 goal, 4 assist for 5 points.

Nice PP snipe in the 1st tonight, you have seen similar high left circle snipes from him if you ever watched his highlights.

His team is suprising everyone currently with the way they are performing, making the Liiga favorites Tappara look vulnerable as the lowest seeded team. He is a huge part of the transition play and offense for that team. Over 21 minutes last game in a losing game 1 effort.

I could see him have similar performance to another TPS alumni, Nashville Predators prospect Juuso Pärssinen as they have similar strengths. Pärssinen plays a more direct game and Marjala a more cerebral but both are good skaters, have a decent shot, Marjala has a better wrister, and good playmaking. Neither is very physical but have size and puck protection ability due to it.

Edit. Marjala with key secondary assist 1+1 tonight in the 2nd.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Viljami Marjala has a 5 game playoff point streak going in Liiga postseason. 5 games 1 goal, 4 assist for 5 points.

Nice PP snipe in the 1st tonight, you have seen similar high left circle snipes from him if you ever watched his highlights.

His team is suprising everyone currently with the way they are performing, making the Liiga favorites Tappara look vulnerable as the lowest seeded team. He is a huge part of the transition play and offense for that team. Over 21 minutes last game in a losing game 1 effort.

I could see him have similar performance to another TPS alumni, Nashville Predators prospect Juuso Pärssinen as they have similar strengths. Pärssinen plays a more direct game and Marjala a more cerebral but both are good skaters, have a decent shot, Marjala has a better wrister, and good playmaking. Neither is very physical but have size and puck protection ability due to it.

Edit. Marjala with key secondary assist 1+1 tonight in the 2nd.

Looks like they took the 2ndary away.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Was looking for a thread for this guy. Then I realized you guys dont have a thread for Marjala?! Guy is tearing it up.

Dont see any reason why he wouldnt be playing in the NHL in like 2-3 years max.

His first Liiga playoffs goal:

Reactions: SabreHawk

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Looks like they took the 2ndary away.

Odd. Marjala still made that play 100%. Also set up a glorious chance two shifts later to shift the momentum back in their favor. And just now created a scoring chance for himself with movement and deception. You get the point, he is on fire against one of the best teams in europe.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Was looking for a thread for this guy. Then I realized you guys dont have a thread for Marjala?! Guy is tearing it up.

Dont see any reason why he wouldnt be playing in the NHL in like 2-3 years max.

His first Liiga playoffs goal:

Took a bit to find it but moving this to his thread. The database error and subsequent reindexing has eaten a lot of the search feature, sadly.

Reactions: Gsus

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Could have had another there. Close.

Had another glorious chance by filling the right lane on a 3-on-2 rush, going to the net as the middle lane guy cleared it and just missed at a point blank shot after the LW puck carrier fed the crease.

Edit 2 - looks like TPS will win as they picked up an ENG from Dudas a moment ago. I missed the 2nd Tappara goal, Marjala's line had been caught on with an icing and I went to get a refill on my coffee and they were reviewing a goal when I came back.

Last edited:

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
A couple rough turnovers, intercepted passes early in the 3rd but him and his line made up for them by creating some of their own next shift. A nervous 3rd period for him and basically the whole team, as one of the younger teams.

It's a good sign that he can clearly elevate his game for the playoffs, he did the exact same thing last season, though you wouldn't think that from his 22-23 stats. Those guys always seem to be the guys who can make it at higher levels.

He needs to add stength to make the NHL and be able to possess the puck in the Ozone, he doesn't have enough speed to separate in the NHL despite being very elusive on his skates.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Back in action today. Anyone watching it?

Tossed it on in the background while I have lunch. I see he's listed in his usual spot as 2C by their pre-game release:

Last edited:

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Another 2 goals in G6 for Marjala, but team gets eliminated. Similar PP goal as the one before and a coast to coast PP goal, both obviously huge goals for the team as they were looking for him to set the tone.

Breakout season, was the leading offensive weapon for his team in thr playoffs. Not strong enough to battle effectively from a static position but very dangerous in transition and moving into small pockets in Ozone.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I think he is a guy you need to give a deal to. If he flames out, fine. But I something with him that I’d like to see developed within the organization. don’t let another team sign him to a deal and he pans out…

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I think he is a guy you need to give a deal to. If he flames out, fine. But I something with him that I’d like to see developed within the organization. don’t let another team sign him to a deal and he pans out…
Per CapFriendly they still have one more season to make a decision on him. My hunch is they'll wait until then.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Per CapFriendly they still have one more season to make a decision on him. My hunch is they'll wait until then.

It'll be interesting to see what they do there. He's carried that U20 breakout so nicely into this season that there is probably at least a pro player there even if it's more of a Biro or Jobst replacement in a year or two to start. And then see how he can advance from their. It's great to see him not only succeeding but carrying it into the playoffs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Makes the very early Finn WC invite but I would imagine he is just a placeholder for now -

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad