Value of: Viktor Rask to Bos

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
that's a tough ask, even though most Canes fans would be fine with trading Rask somewhere. C is the thinnest position on the NHL roster so there'd have to be an NHL C coming back if Rask is going. or CAR will have to have a corresponding move to bring in a center before trading Rask.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
At least one 2nd rd pick I’d say. It was rumored the ask for Rask from MTL at the draft was two 2nd rd picks. So maybe now a pick plus b prospect.

It’d be nice if CAR could package Rask with one of Skinner or Faulk to bring back a decent center, with the idea that Rask is an acceptable downgrade at C for the other team, offset by the value added from Skinner or Faulk....that’s probably a pipe dream though. Rask is more than likely dealt for futures this summer.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
that's a tough ask, even though most Canes fans would be fine with trading Rask somewhere. C is the thinnest position on the NHL roster so there'd have to be an NHL C coming back if Rask is going. or CAR will have to have a corresponding move to bring in a center before trading Rask.

With Lindholm gone, do you think that makes Rask less expendable?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
it's possible if the Canes can get an upgrade at C in a Faulk trade. Otherwise we have the same issue as Boston.

Very much so, at least until we know what we're getting back for Faulk or TVR, whichever is traded

Towards the end of the season, when I was talking to Canes fans, it seemed like Rask was a movable piece especially coming off the injury. Wasn't sure how much moving Lindholm might have changed Rasks importance to the team. I know you guys have deep prospect center depth, but NHL ready is another thing.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’m not convinced Rask will be better than the kids 12 months from now. Would rather try the kids and then react at the TDL if needed unless we find ourselves able to get a real top 6C that can turn the Bruins top 9 into something more approximating TOR or TB.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
While there'd be a hole at 3C/4C for the Canes, I'm not sure that can't be fixed in another trade, should the Canes want to shed Victor (which I'm not sold on). With that said, I'd ask for something like Boston's 2019 2nd plus one of Jack Studnicka/Trent Frederic. They might not want to pay that, but if Rask get's back to his form of a couple of years ago, you've got a 20 goal scorer who could put up 45-50 points.

Reactions: Unsustainable

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I wouldn't want to trade Rask right now with the Canes C depth and the fact he wouldn't return much more than a 2nd round pick. Without him, you're banking on Aho, Staal, Necas with no backup plan.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
While there'd be a hole at 3C/4C for the Canes, I'm not sure that can't be fixed in another trade, should the Canes want to shed Victor (which I'm not sold on). With that said, I'd ask for something like Boston's 2019 2nd plus one of Jack Studnicka/Trent Frederic. They might not want to pay that, but if Rask get's back to his form of a couple of years ago, you've got a 20 goal scorer who could put up 45-50 points.

That's a tough pill for me to swallow, which I think it means its a fair deal. I might try and add Adam McQ to free up some cap space to make me feel a bit better about it. But otherwise Bruins sacrifice some future for a better chance to win now

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018

Yeah I am not over sold on the idea that the bruins would part with Jack Studnicka and a 2nd round for Rask. The Bruins would be better served letting Frederic, JFK, Donato, Fitzy or Studnicka player that role to get their feet wet in the NHL vs Rask who is carrying a 4 million a year contract to 2022 or something like that.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It’s interesting now that as a Canes fan I agree it’s no longer easy to move Rask. We don’t know if Aho is even going to play center, let alone whether or not Necas is ready for the third line role. Rask is definitely needed if the answer is no to either, yet to me the changes to this team began when Rask had to start sitting and we put Lindholm there in his spot. We were markedly quicker at center since Jstaal and Rask combined left us pretty slow there. Made it easier to let Rask go. Now we may not have a choice.

If that rumored deal was close I doubt his value changed much from that. 2 second rounders or one and a b level prospect or something like that. Just don’t know if he’s really available before we know who’s doing what.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It’s interesting now that as a Canes fan I agree it’s no longer easy to move Rask. We don’t know if Aho is even going to play center, let alone whether or not Necas is ready for the third line role. Rask is definitely needed if the answer is no to either, yet to me the changes to this team began when Rask had to start sitting and we put Lindholm there in his spot. We were markedly quicker at center since Jstaal and Rask combined left us pretty slow there. Made it easier to let Rask go. Now we may not have a choice.

If that rumored deal was close I doubt his value changed much from that. 2 second rounders or one and a b level prospect or something like that. Just don’t know if he’s really available before we know who’s doing what.
Don't get me wrong Bleed....I'm something of a Rask fan-boy/apologist. I think he gets short shrift in a lot of conversations. That said, w/Skinner and Faulk most likely on the block (or perhaps TVR), I feel certain as part of any return we could find a tweener center to fill in.

Personally, I think after his shoulder surgery and a summer of training, Rask has a distinct possibility of returning to form.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I assumed with the current exodus of former core players Rask was as good as gone, and he still may be. I agree if a center comes back in our other deals he’s gone to the highest bidder. Just as it sits now it may not be as easy to let him go until that replacement is found.

I actually think the team believes Necas is ready, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they move Rask and chance it.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Pretty simple,

Bruins have a hole at 3C, what would it cost the Bruins to acquire Rask to fill that position?

Thanks

heard a Carolina insider doing the interview circuit yesterday in Calgary or Edmonton sports talk... and one thing he said scares the crap out of me

dude says... if victor rask never becomes more than Carolinas 4th line center its ok. they aren't up against the cap limit. and he would be a dangerous 4th liner

dude actually is saying rask might not be good enough to be a top 3 center even on a team like Carolina

the only think I know about rask is he will turn 26 this year... is already on a multi year deal at 4 mill... and has failed miserably when given top mins

have we seen the best he has to offer? is it 30-45 point with second line icetime racking up negative goals against?

if you can get Carolina to eat half the contract... get back to me and maybe we can figure out a trade. otherwise this guy doesn't have a job on my team

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
heard a Carolina insider doing the interview circuit yesterday in Calgary or Edmonton sports talk... and one thing he said scares the crap out of me

dude says... if victor rask never becomes more than Carolinas 4th line center its ok. they aren't up against the cap limit. and he would be a dangerous 4th liner

dude actually is saying rask might not be good enough to be a top 3 center even on a team like Carolina

the only think I know about rask is he will turn 26 this year... is already on a multi year deal at 4 mill... and has failed miserably when given top mins

have we seen the best he has to offer? is it 30-45 point with second line icetime racking up negative goals against?

if you can get Carolina to eat half the contract... get back to me and maybe we can figure out a trade. otherwise this guy doesn't have a job on my team

Victor Rask isn't one ounce a lesser player offensively compared to Derek Ryan (who just go $10 million over 3 years) and he is much better defensively.

Rask's Relative GF% over the past 3 years: +4.07%, +4.74%, +5.98% (2017-18)

Another easy analysis would be Elias Lindholm vs. Victor Rask.

Past 3 years of stats (5v5):

5v5 StatsAgeGPGAPtsPts/60P1/60CF%GF%Rel GF%
Victor Rask252333441751.451.0350.5494.86
Elias Lindholm232352351741.41.095344.4-2.67
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Not sure how you conclude he "failed miserably when given top mins". Rask is a 45+ point middle-6 C when healthy. Those players get paid about $4 million.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad