Recalled/Assigned: Viktor Arvidsson Recalled On "Emergency Basis"

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
I like new blood coming onto the team right now. Someone who hasn't been around for the slump and is excited about playing his first game and can hopefully translate that attitude to the rest of the team. We need some positive emotion on this team.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I like new blood coming onto the team right now. Someone who hasn't been around for the slump and is excited about playing his first game and can hopefully translate that attitude to the rest of the team. We need some positive emotion on this team.

So, you're in the glass-half-full camp then, eh? :)

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Looks like he'll make his debut tonight. Pumped for the kid.

Is Watson injured? Keeps getting passed over for callups.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Looks like he'll make his debut tonight. Pumped for the kid.

Is Watson injured? Keeps getting passed over for callups.

I don't think Watson is injured. He's just not as good as we think. I'm not even sure he's NHL material at this point, unless it's a 4th line plug role.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't think Watson is injured. He's just not as good as we think. I'm not even sure he's NHL material at this point, unless it's a 4th line plug role.
I've never been a Watson believer. I've always hoped we can convince a team to take him as part of a package deal for something good.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Granted I take most of what I think Watson is/can do from watching him with the Peterborough Petes/London Knights. That's becoming more distant though. I can understand the need for a more offensively gifted player in the lineup. Just a random thought about him being passed over more than once. I don't get to see him much playing for the ads and all.

OpenWheel

Jan 10, 2007
Keweenaw Peninsula
Very excited about Arvidsson.

At his age, with his game, no need to spend too long learning in the AHL, if he can really play. His abilities should suit the coaching philosopy in Nashville too and really help him. Hopefully he's going to be a real asset, and be here to stay.

Great move by the team. Happy for the kid. As others said, maybe the enthusiasm will be contagious. And the heck with pure 'energy role' players. Put the puck in the net and help your line put it in the net.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
HockeyDB lists him at 5'8, and the Preds list him at 5'11. I'm 5'10 and he is shorter than me... I'll say 5'9 :)

Meanwhile, he was great tonight. Got third star, but that was totally ridiculous. However, he did everything but score. I don't want Wilson out too much longer, but for as long as the kid's around, he's not gonna take a shift off, that's for sure.

Hockeyfever

Jan 5, 2012
I've never been a Watson believer. I've always hoped we can convince a team to take him as part of a package deal for something good.

Who needs a 20 or more goal scorer every year he has been a pro? You must be right he cant be good. Aaron Sims said Watson was only the third player in Admirals history to ever do that. Currently leads the entire AHL in GWG and 13th in the league in goals. Can't be any good though right?:sarcasm:

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
He had a bit of the deer in the headlights look in the first, but definitely settled in. Good energy but wish he wasn't so short.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Who needs a 20 or more goal scorer every year he has been a pro? You must be right he cant be good. Aaron Sims said Watson was only the third player in Admirals history to ever do that. Currently leads the entire AHL in GWG and 13th in the league in goals. Can't be any good though right?:sarcasm:
I'm not a believer in what I see when he's in Nashville. Granted, I never thought he was given a fair shake under Trotz so I can't say definitively. That doesn't change my hope however that we could use him as a prospect in a sweet deal to bring back a bigger name forward.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
He had a bit of the deer in the headlights look in the first, but definitely settled in. Good energy but wish he wasn't so short.

What does it matter if he's short? Sully was short and he was pretty darn good. Kariya was short and he was even better. St. Louis is pretty darn good too. Arnott was 6'4" and soft as a marshmallow. Franson is 6'5" and he makes stupid plays with the puck. If the kid has jets, and he does, his height shouldn't matter. He got some really good shots on net last night. He wasn't afraid to go out there and do the things that have made him successful throughout his hockey career.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
What does it matter if he's short? Sully was short and he was pretty darn good. Kariya was short and he was even better. St. Louis is pretty darn good too. Arnott was 6'4" and soft as a marshmallow. Franson is 6'5" and he makes stupid plays with the puck. If the kid has jets, and he does, his height shouldn't matter. He got some really good shots on net last night. He wasn't afraid to go out there and do the things that have made him successful throughout his hockey career.

Short forwards are just fine assuming they have quickness to avoid big checks. It's the undersized d-men that I can't understand having a place in the game.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013

Brad Marchand says hi.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
If you isolated Arvidsson's play last night, the kid was fearless. He planted himself in front of the net and was not easily moved. He took hacks and whacks, and stood his ground. He did things most Predators forwards don't do. He's not here for long this year, but don't count him out for next...

and as for Watson, anyone who has given up on him based on his cup of coffee in a previous season is fooling themselves. The American League is perfect for DEVELOPMENT. They don't all pan out, and perhaps he won't, but he's on track as far as the organization is concerned.

Predsboro

Feb 29, 2008
A team can only have 4 regular recalls (despite the roster expansion) but there is an unlimited number of emergency recalls. So if the recall is due to injury then it makes sense to invoke the emergency conditions otherwise it limits unnecessarily the team's flexibility for further recalls.

So it is definitely bad news that he got recalled under emergency conditions.

Bingo ... was about to post this same clarification. Stick tap ....

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
yes liquid they do. the problem gets to be where do you play him once wilson and neal return? 3 of the guys he would 'replace', (cullen, beck, bourque) are playing good hockey. santo is a possibility of course but when both wilson and neal return, you would expect santo to be sat anyway (if he continues to play like he has). but for him to stick right now, he's got to produce a couple of goals in this call up. the first game was promising, but he has to actually produce points.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Short forwards are just fine assuming they have quickness to avoid big checks. It's the undersized d-men that I can't understand having a place in the game.
Not putting him on some pedestal or anything but Ryan Ellis is making a decent career for himself.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville

I'm with you; even if it turns out he's too slow or whatever to play 3rd he takes Goose's role in my mind.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
yes liquid they do. the problem gets to be where do you play him once wilson and neal return? 3 of the guys he would 'replace', (cullen, beck, bourque) are playing good hockey. santo is a possibility of course but when both wilson and neal return, you would expect santo to be sat anyway (if he continues to play like he has). but for him to stick right now, he's got to produce a couple of goals in this call up. the first game was promising, but he has to actually produce points.

I think if he can pot something, or shows spark for someone else, we might see Hook and Santo both sitting and the kid playing 3rd opposite VS with MC centering them. Santo looked to be playing the right role the other night - 4th line and PK - and Bourque is better at it (and I can't believe I'm gonna' say it, but Nystrom may be, too).

More interesting will be the 3rd pairing; the point someone raised about Peterson's observation of them "splitting" and giving those 3 or 4 breakaways on Peks is partly Jones playing his off-side and not yet making the instinctual move and part Co*y is still a below-avg defender. Co*y hasn't produced much O - he's clearly the least effective of the 4 RHs - so if that D doesn't get better Lavy has to think about Barts (not Volch, I know this board thinks Volch is better but look at the stats and really think about Volch crashing around back there) when we're on the road and he's at a disadvantage on changes. Giving up the O upside from Franson to Barts, but gaining both upside from O and D for Jones and upside for Barts D isn't so far-fetched, especially on the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad