News Article: Vigneault: Rangers aren’t done with ‘unfairly criticized’ Girardi

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
McIlrath and his 9 shaky minutes were better than anything Girardi gives. Girardi hurts the team whenever he plays. Don't really know how else to put it.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
And I'm not shocked by any of those quotes. The coach isn't going to toss a well respected guy like Girardi under the bus and he shouldn't. He's going to defend his players. I'll reserve my meltdowns and criticisms until he's back in the lineup playing 20+ minutes.

Exactly. I know fans would love to see AV say Girardi was benched because he sucks, but he's not going to throw a respected member of his leadership core under the bus. Tortorella would, but he's not here.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
McIlrath and his 9 shaky minutes were better than anything Girardi gives. Girardi hurts the team whenever he plays. Don't really know how else to put it.

this right here is the sole and simple reason why Girardi shouldn't be playing.

we all saw how dynamic the team was yesterday, right? We saw how effective the Dmen were at acquiring the puck and then moving it out. We saw how poised the team was in the D zone, and we saw McIlrath do just fine in his 9 minutes of ice time.

If Girardi's playing 9 minutes too, then I'm OK with it. Problem is, he won't. AV will play him 20 minutes, and it hurts the team immensely.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The point is that Girardi would have been glued to the bench a long time ago if Torts was coach.

The same guy that marched Brad Richards out night after night? The same guy that loved Girardi? Not only do I not think you're right, but whats the point on harping on it when Vigneault has been a more successful Ranger coach?

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
The same guy that marched Brad Richards out night after night? The same guy that loved Girardi? Not only do I not think you're right, but whats the point on harping on it when Vigneault has been a more successful Ranger coach?

Torts had no problem benching Richards in the 2013 playoffs when he sucked.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I thought short term memory was only for old duffers and the extremely drug addled?

I kind of remember (but apparently not everyone does) Girardi being literally catapulted head first by Brian Boyle into the end boards about two weeks ago. In between then and now this narrative was conceptualized that Girardi after coming back and playing one playoff game was sat out for the second not because he's banged up but because AV and his coaching staff had decided he was washed up but didn't want to want to hurt his feelings or let the press and fans in on the secret. All a conspiracy.

Maybe he's just ****ing banged up? Then again maybe Elvis and Hitler really are still alive.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
All coaches will have their moments where they give a player too much ice time or too long a leash based on what they were in the past. I can't remember a case as dramatic as the 1,500 minutes AV gave to this version of Dan Girardi this season.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
All coaches will have their moments where they give a player too much ice time or too long a leash based on what they were in the past. I can't remember a case as dramatic as the 1,500 minutes AV gave to this version of Dan Girardi this season.

You know he's bad when he's had decreasing minutes five years in a row, played 2:30/game less this year than last year (though he lost PP time), and played the least minutes of any year in his career since his rookie year...and it's still way too much.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The "unfairly criticized" part is annoying me too..

He's absolutely deserving of and and all criticism for his play this year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The "unfairly criticized" part is annoying me too..

He's absolutely deserving of and and all criticism for his play this year.

AV is sticking up for a veteran player on his team. What's he going to say, "Yes all the criticism that the guy sucks and is done is totally justified!" He's defending his guy as he should.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Does he have to talk about him like Girardi is Achilles? I'd prefer McIlrath but I can live with Girardi on the 3rd pairing, if AV gives the Top-4 heavy minutes. He should have never been paired with Marc, that was ridiculous.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I dont know what this means. I mean, I know its more ridiculous than your average AV conspiracy theory, but I still dont really get it.

This line from AV:

“It’s never easy playing against talented players like that and such a talented team,†Vigneault said. “You look at their record since Christmas, they’re the best in the NHL. So it’s a challenge, it’s an opportunity for us. It’s going to take our best hockey of the year.â€

..as if he feels the Pens deserve to win this series. It may be a stretch but what else can explain his thinking Girardi is no problem??

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
And I'm not shocked by any of those quotes. The coach isn't going to toss a well respected guy like Girardi under the bus and he shouldn't. He's going to defend his players. I'll reserve my meltdowns and criticisms until he's back in the lineup playing 20+ minutes.
Defending is one thing; stubbornly insisting he's going back into the lineup after seeing teams so obviously exploit him as a glaring weakness is another thing.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This line from AV:

..as if he feels the Pens deserve to win this series. It may be a stretch but what else can explain his thinking Girardi is no problem??

I don't see any issues there...coachspeak, showing deference to an opponent.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
What an idiot. Girardi was fully to blame for the game 1 loss. He caused both goals to make it 2-0. Team goes out in game 2 and wins without him. AV response is to find a way to get Girardi back in the lineup. This is a circus.

BarbaraAlphanse

Whole body probably means lingering issues from broken knee cap that is prohibiting Danny G from being the player he was last year + possible lingering issues from concussion in Boyle hit?

If that's the case, he could be out indefinitely. That knee cap issue... it definitely has played a part in what he was this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad