News Article: Vigneault: Rangers aren’t done with ‘unfairly criticized’ Girardi

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The "unfairly criticized" part is annoying me too..

He's absolutely deserving of and and all criticism for his play this year.

I disagree. There is a difference between won't and can't I don't think his body can do it, but he tries to will it. At least he's not a huge ***** in the postseason like other albatross contracts.

*Bob Richards*

Girardi needs to be used like Kimmo Timmonen was used for the Hawks last postseason. Part of me still thinks he might have some effectiveness in a diminished role. If he really is banged up and injured though then there is no excuse. A healthy McIlrath is still greater than a 50% Girardi.

Also, this is the coach supporting a long tenured leader on the team. He was never going to throw him under the bus.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Lots of false outrage. I'll reserve judgement until Girardi is back on the ice getting 20 minutes and going -2. Bottom line is you stand up for your guys...you never know when you'll need them.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The fact that it's Penguins fans praying for his return and not Ranger fans, says it all, really

I took the time to read through a few pages of Penguins HF posters on the subject of this series so far and the consensus seems to be that a lot more than half thought the Rangers had completely outplayed their team in both games--which IMO is not the case at all.

Fans tend to have a very jaundiced outlook on their own teams. Unless you're a Blackhawks or maybe a Kings fan the greater likelihood is that defeatism is a main component of your fandom.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
How is this surprising ? They pay girardi a lot. The team made the finals and semis w him as a top Rd . They are gonna hope he plays well

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
I took the time to read through a few pages of Penguins HF posters on the subject of this series so far and the consensus seems to be that a lot more than half thought the Rangers had completely outplayed their team in both games--which IMO is not the case at all.

Fans tend to have a very jaundiced outlook on their own teams. Unless you're a Blackhawks or maybe a Kings fan the greater likelihood is that defeatism is a main component of your fandom.

I think they're right. The Rangers have outplayed Pittsburgh. In the first game they just couldn't get a bounce to go for them and one defensive pairing screwed everything up. In Game Two, they were clearly the better team.

I'm guessing you don't see the irony at all in you claiming this is "not the case at all."

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I read the whole article... Not just the artistic license taken by the author parts (especially the title)

Sounds to me like AV AAAAAAAANNND the team feel Girardi is a leader and a warrior... And that when he's healthy he'll be back.

Not tues necessarily, but when healthy. I don't see an issue with it. Like others have been saying... AV isn't gonna throw him under the bus... Should have his minutes reduced but I'm not surprised he will be back.

rangerrat

Jan 3, 2010
Whole body probably means lingering issues from broken knee cap that is prohibiting Danny G from being the player he was last year + possible lingering issues from concussion in Boyle hit?

If that's the case, he could be out indefinitely. That knee cap issue... it definitely has played a part in what he was this year.

Wow imagine that somoeone who may of hit the nail on the head, Danny G could be damaged more then we ever thought. Think about it,AV loves this guy and would be playing him in a heart beat ahead of MCI, Hmmmmm Danny G maybe hurting like AV said "The Whole BODY THING!!!!!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think they're right. The Rangers have outplayed Pittsburgh. In the first game they just couldn't get a bounce to go for them and one defensive pairing screwed everything up. In Game Two, they were clearly the better team.

I'm guessing you don't see the irony at all in you claiming this is "not the case at all."

To put my statement in the correct context I put an 'IMO' in front of it. The first period of game #1 the Rangers had an edge even with the late goal by Pittsburgh. After that Pittsburgh was the better team--again that's my opinion. You can look for irony if you like. In the second game Pittsburgh pretty much controlled the game until Miller got the puck to Yandle to tie it and then Brassard followed it quickly.

My opinion is the series has been evenly played so far.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
This is just AV being a politician.

The difference between Torts and AV when handling a beloved locker room vet: when Torts benched Richards in the playoffs, he basically called out Richards, and when AV benched Girardi this year, he said it was due to injuries and vigorously defended anyone who criticized Girardi's play. It's why Torts is no longer the coach here and AV will keep his job despite what posters here say.

Of course, AV's track record is that he prefers to play Girardi, and I'm sure he will at some point, but I think for now it is clear that he's going with other options until somebody gives him an excuse to put G back in.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

The difference between Torts and AV when handling a beloved locker room vet: when Torts benched Richards in the playoffs, he basically called out Richards, and when AV benched Girardi this year, he said it was due to injuries and vigorously defended anyone who criticized Girardi's play. It's why Torts is no longer the coach here and AV will keep his job despite what posters here say.

That's a very good way of putting it. It's just professionalism by AV, and I respect that.

I still thought that a shaky McIlrath was better than Girardi. The difference between the two is the Pens won't challenge McIlrath if Dylan is in position because they don't want to get Kunhackled.

They'll skate in on Girardi all day. And they did that all season. They know they won't pay a price for it.

I'm ofcourse hoping Dylan plays again, and this time stays in position.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Are you referring to HF Boards Penguins?

If so, it's probably do to all the horse **** they are reading here.

I sincerely doubt Sullivan broke down and said "It's over...Skjei will be playing 10 minutes!!!! Why God?!?"

Skjei played 19 minutes, but I get what you are saying.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Are you referring to HF Boards Penguins?

If so, it's probably do to all the horse **** they are reading here.

I sincerely doubt Sullivan broke down and said "It's over...Skjei will be playing 10 minutes!!!! Why God?!?"

DG gets exposed, exploited when he's on the ice and it's been that way since the Kings series two years ago.

It's evident to others, too. Here, here.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
"As Vigneault stated, the Rangers hoped they could keep him healthy by not allowing him to play through so many injuries. So Girardi got in 74 regular-season games"

Well that great idea didn't quite pan out now did it? Same went for "Giving Boyler a breather".

And because of this they're going to be stuck with the McIlrath situation again next year where he needs games to develop and progress when they could have done that this year. That's if he isn't traded

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
There was no reason for AV to belittle and put Girardi down. G. AV isn't dumb. He knows Girardi is banged up from head to toe. Girardi has not and never will admit he is hurt, and will say whatever he has to say to get back in the line up. AV knows this and won't let it happen until he knows for sure Girardi is ready, or we have a couple of more injuries.

It's too bad that AV was so easily swayed into allowing Girardi to talk himself into the line up when it was clear he couldn't play. Not only did it cost us several games during the season. It cost MCI and Skeji valuable ice and development time they could have used during the regular season. In that regard AV is stubborn.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012

Of course, AV's track record is that he prefers to play Girardi, and I'm sure he will at some point, but I think for now it is clear that he's going with other options until somebody gives him an excuse to put G back in.

If it were AV being a politician, that would be fine.

But his many peculiar line-up decisions make one skeptical.

It's easy to see him putting Girardi back in, and damn the team. "It's the right thing to do."

No, it isn't.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Nothing AV said was wrong.

What I have a problem with is his use of Mcilrath kid is good play him. 9 mins is silly

But I'll tell you now of Girardi isn't fully healthy he won't go back in and if McDonagh is back first Mcilrath will sit and Skjei will play the right side book it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad