VIDEO - Worst penalty ever called against the Bruins?

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Does anyone know what the actual penalty called on Orr was? I found box scores from the series (here if anyone is interested http://bigmouthsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/1974-SC-playoff-summaries-PHI.pdf ) but it just lists the player penalized and at what time.

The announcer suggests it was a hold, but I don't think the modern standard in which taking a hand off the stick and making contact with an opposing player instantly got the call back then.

And the player stayed on his feet, so I don't think it was a trip.

I'm thinking maybe it was interference, but having lived through the dead puck era (when that seemingly didn't exist ;) ) I don't know what the standards were in 1974.

I'm just wondering if the ref might have seen it as a slash, since Orr does the slashing motion and he seemed to have missed the puck.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It was holding :rant:

PAHBiUC.png
vdelngU.png

Does anyone know what the actual penalty called on Orr was? I found box scores from the series (here if anyone is interested http://bigmouthsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/1974-SC-playoff-summaries-PHI.pdf ) but it just lists the player penalized and at what time.

The announcer suggests it was a hold, but I don't think the modern standard in which taking a hand off the stick and making contact with an opposing player instantly got the call back then.

And the player stayed on his feet, so I don't think it was a trip.

I'm thinking maybe it was interference, but having lived through the dead puck era (when that seemingly didn't exist ;) ) I don't know what the standards were in 1974.

I'm just wondering if the ref might have seen it as a slash, since Orr does the slashing motion and he seemed to have missed the puck.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
It was holding :rant:

PAHBiUC.png
vdelngU.png

Awesome Fenway - thanks so much!!

Referencing the quote by Carol Vadnais that you don't make that call at that stage of such an important game, it's the age-old debate. Is a penalty a penalty, or should the refs swallow the whistles in important games?

No one wants a series decided on a marginal call; at the same time, I did sit through many of those seemingly endless dead puck era multiple overtime games and the rule book was completely ignored.

Maybe if that infraction occurred in the neutral zone they let it slide; but it was a great scoring chance negated.

I was trying to think of a similar call in an important game that we benefited from and recalled Christian Ehrhoff getting called when Patrice Bergeron had a breakaway in Game 7.

However I don't know that it's a great comparison since Ehrhoff's stick clearly makes contact with Bergeron's leg and he did go down (and not that any of it matters since Luongo lost track of the puck and it went in. ;) )

That being said, if that call wasn't made, I'd have been livid.

(Unrelated note: at 1:03 Eddie Olcyzk so desperately wanted this goal disallowed! )

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Awesome Fenway - thanks so much!!

Referencing the quote by Carol Vadnais that you don't make that call at that stage of such an important game, it's the age-old debate. Is a penalty a penalty, or should the refs swallow the whistles in important games?

No one wants a series decided on a marginal call; at the same time, I did sit through many of those seemingly endless dead puck era multiple overtime games and the rule book was completely ignored.

Maybe if that infraction occurred in the neutral zone they let it slide; but it was a great scoring chance negated.

I was trying to think of a similar call in an important game that we benefited from and recalled Christian Ehrhoff getting called when Patrice Bergeron had a breakaway in Game 7.

However I don't know that it's a great comparison since Ehrhoff's stick clearly makes contact with Bergeron's leg and he did go down (and not that any of it matters since Luongo lost track of the puck and it went in. ;) )

That being said, if that call wasn't made, I'd have been livid.

(Unrelated note: at 1:03 Eddie Olcyzk so desperately wanted this goal disallowed! )

Yeah...I didn't think it was a penalty either...it's hilarious how Olcyzk was trying so hard to be smarter than everyone else with his analysis...then it flips to the ref calling it a good goal...:laugh:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Interesting summary...Boston had a few chances on the PP too...

I went to Game 3 in Philly on the spur of the moment. I was off that day and I was playing the brand new scratch tickets at a bar in Cambridge that is now the People's Republic. I won $100 and went to South Station and caught a train to NY and then took a Metroliner to Philly and got to 30th St at 6:30 PM.

I can't put in words how scary the Philly subway was in 1974, the train was 50 years old. Incredibly I walked up to the box office and asked for one ticket and they sold me one for $8 :laugh:

I was one row above Bob Wilson who was forced to broadcast from the balcony as the Spectrum press box was filled with Boston, Philly and Canadian TV and they moved radio into the seating area. We lost in OT 3-2 on a Clarke goal. :cry:

On the Orr penalty :dunno: Sinden was convinced Skov hated the Bruins and I think the NHL wanted an expansion team to win the Cup. The NBC announcers Tim Ryan and Ted Lindsay were unsure as well.

Bep Guidolin was insulted that Harry offered him a one year contract and quit.

wzLx93j.png

Esposito then unloaded on his former coach.

rBmwO4E.png

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Agree - but the Bruins let the 74 Cup get away from them in Game 2 at Boston and you can hear the glee of former Bruins TV announcer Don Earle who was fired to allow Fred Cusick to return.

How I hated Bobby Clarke the hockey player, I didn't even like him against the USSR.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
Agreed. I hated - literally hated - Clarke then, and my opinion hasn't changed in 40 years.

Same goes with scum like Nilan, Linesman, Dale Hunter, Samuelsson, Lemieux...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad