VIDEO - Worst penalty ever called against the Bruins?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Most Bruins fans will say the too many men on the ice in Montreal was the worst penalty but it was the right call and the officials HAD to call it. However I am talking about May 19, 1974 - SCF Game 6 at The Spectrum in South Philadelphia

Less than 6 minutes left in the third period and the Bruins are facing elimination as they trail 1-0. Giles Gilbert had been brilliant but Bernie Parent was just a little bit better.

Then this happened

oHvlpMg.png

Most of you have never seen these two penalties as the NBC tape was not available until recently. The Bucyk call was probably legit but the call on Orr was unbelivable and pretty much handed the Cup to Philadelphia.

I have cued the tape to just before the Bucyk penalty.

https://youtu.be/7e78IkizgPw?t=5365

So for fun let's consider this a HGDT (Historic Game Day Thread) and post how you would have reacted if HF Boards existed in 1974.

To this day I still hate Art Skov (RIP as he died in 2009) and Kate Smith for what hapened that awful afternoon in Philly.

TheRza80

Since The 80's
Sep 19, 2009
Well to me they both were penalties, but lots of penalties weren't being called so you mean to tell me if that was a bruin on a breakaway and the flyer held them up you wouldn't want to penalty or at least a penalty shot, not the worst calls in my opinion.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Well to me they both were penalties, but lots of penalties weren't being called so you mean to tell me if that was a bruin on a breakaway and the flyer held them up you wouldn't want to penalty or at least a penalty shot, not the worst calls in my opinion.

These calls were made in the final minutes of an elimination game for the Cup.

TheRza80

Since The 80's
Sep 19, 2009
These calls were made in the final minutes of an elimination game for the Cup.

yes I realize that there's lots of trips and stumbles and falls going on in the background everywhere I watched the clip from the bucyk penalty and from what I seen he did trip him with a stick plus his leg got in the way but it did look over exaggerated like a dive for sure. Bobby's penalty was just that a penalty, it's unfortunate that these two penalties were called and Bruins lost but they also had two periods before this to tie the game I'm assuming. i'm just saying that if that was a Bruin on a breakaway like that I would want a penalty or at least a penalty shot that's all.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
1:33:28 on the YouTube clip has another good dive, but at least it wasn't called.

Going by the modern calls of the game, they were both penalties. I don't know what was being called and what wasn't that long ago, but Orr was losing the footrace so he couldn't take away the middle of the ice.

So when the Flyer cut to the middle, Orr went around him, took one hand off the stick, and impeded the progress of the attacking player. Methinks that would get called in most instances.

By modern standards, a dive or embellishment would likely have also been called on the first one, thus negating the power play.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bep Guidolin was more concerned with Kate Smith than the game. The players hated playing for him and Sinden fired him a few days later and hired Don Cherry

Ff76f7s.png

NBC's prediction on when a new Garden would be built was pretty close to accurate.

OwTeSdZ.png

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
It's tough for a lot of people to judge...because they are used to today's standard...and didn't see hockey at that time...whole different world...heck, watch games from the 80's and 90's...hooks and holds are standard...bear hugs and two-handers are called...

There are still a lot of people out there that can't imagine a ref having it out for a team. Strictly professional saints. Funny though, we see it everyday in MLB. Even look at one of those old umps wrong, and you're gonna be taught a lesson. Sometimes blacklisted...for years.

In the NHL, it's clear both Lucic and Marchand are blacklisted. There's no official list. There doesn't have to be. They probably joke about it, in passing...but that's about it...

Bottom-line, refs are human. And are more than capable of hating/screwing over players and teams.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
First one is a dive worthy of Montreal.

Gawd...sure was.. And then Philly # 2 van impe flopping after the Bucyk penalty expired...seemed to me Orr was hacked down around that time crossing the blue line...

Bruins should have had minimum 4 cups in the 70's...1970..1971...1972 and 1974...

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It was a different era back in the 70's. Refs and linesmen could be found after a game in the old Penalty Box bar on Causeway Street because their hotel was the Madison.

The penalty on Orr was decisive. It all but eliminated any chance to pull Gilbert and go all out to tie the game.

I didn't know until today that Kate Smith got $15K to sing that afternoon which would be 75K in today's dollars. It was bizarre.

The Kate Smith Philly thing still exists today as I found out in 2011 when this happened at a game I was at.

It was and is justified because they were the... Bruins

It's tough for a lot of people to judge...because they are used to today's standard...and didn't see hockey at that time...whole different world...heck, watch games from the 80's and 90's...hooks and holds are standard...bear hugs and two-handers are called...

There are still a lot of people out there that can't imagine a ref having it out for a team. Strictly professional saints. Funny though, we see it everyday in MLB. Even look at one of those old umps wrong, and you're gonna be taught a lesson. Sometimes blacklisted...for years.

In the NHL, it's clear both Lucic and Marchand are blacklisted. There's no official list. There doesn't have to be. They probably joke about it, in passing...but that's about it...

Bottom-line, refs are human. And are more than capable of hating/screwing over players and teams.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruins should have had minimum 4 cups in the 70's...1970..1971...1972 and 1974...

Agree - but the Bruins let the 74 Cup get away from them in Game 2 at Boston and you can hear the glee of former Bruins TV announcer Don Earle who was fired to allow Fred Cusick to return.

BruinsRule774774

Aug 3, 2006
Worcester Ma
Axelsson's 'foot in the crease' no goal is up there for me.

That was Tim Taylor . Unfortunately that and the too many men were calls that had to be made .
The one that gets me is the phantom high stick by Bergy on wiesnewski In game 7 of 2011with under 2 minutes left,Which led to the tieing goal but that god for Horton in OT

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Some of the calls in Game 7 vs the Habs last year were wretched.

I'm thinking of the Dale Weiss hook on Smith (?) where the Bruins get a holding-the-stick.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Agree - but the Bruins let the 74 Cup get away from them in Game 2 at Boston and you can hear the glee of former Bruins TV announcer Don Earle who was fired to allow Fred Cusick to return.

Ugg....

Yeah the Bruins let some great seasons go to waste...

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
That was Tim Taylor . Unfortunately that and the too many men were calls that had to be made .
The one that gets me is the phantom high stick by Bergy on wiesnewski In game 7 of 2011with under 2 minutes left,Which led to the tieing goal but that god for Horton in OT

Yes....he totally sold it and I can't even imagine how fans would feel if Habs won that game in OT...Hortons goal is a top 2/3 goal for me all time...never tire of watching it:nod:

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
Gawd...sure was.. And then Philly # 2 van impe flopping after the Bucyk penalty expired...seemed to me Orr was hacked down around that time crossing the blue line...

…and 1979.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
First one was a huge dive, Orr's penalty was a joke and he had been tackled from behind on the rush earlier in the shift with no call. Brutal.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I still cant believe we lost to the Flyers. Even with WHA and expansion and bad trades Boston should have taken them out.

Just like in 1971 Boston blew a lead that was in the bag and would have put them up 2-0. Clarke in game 2 the last 5 minutes would have set a single season penalty record if they called all the **** he pulled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad