[VIDEO] Mark Messier, The Anti-Canuck - A 20-Minute Look At His Catastrophic Time in Vancouver

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Great work, it's great watching the overall gameplay in all of the instalments. It's also a great reminder of an era that was a bit tough to watch even for a non-fan.

And bonus points for including Erik Satie!

Iwuwd

Oct 11, 2019
That was tough watching a 37 year old who most likely had Corona Virus in that video. I'm glad the NHL canceled the season because of this performance.

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
Advance Notice: I will not be posting further on this subject -- and I certainly won't be responding to posters who confront me -- because my experience on this forum is that any attempt at a rational discussion about Messier's time in Vancouver brings out the worst in posters (a small minority of Canuck fans) who feel it is their sworn duty to loudly denigrate anything to do with Messier in this particular time frame.

With that out of the way, I will now present some cold, hard reality for those who might have been around at that time or who aren't well-versed in the topic (because I wouldn't want them to believe a lot of the stuff posted so far in this thread):

Accusation #1: Messier's arrival destroyed the team
REALITY: The Canucks were already well-into a sharp decline before Messier arrived.

Before Messier:
94/95: 18-18-12 (2nd place)
95/96: 32-35-15 (3rd place)
96/97: 35-40-7 (4th place, missed playoffs)

With Messier:
97/98: 25-43-14 (7th place, missed playoffs)
98/99: 23-47-12 (4th place, missed playoffs)
99/00: 30-29-15-8 (3rd place, missed playoffs by four points)

In retrospect (and at the time, if anyone was looking at it rationally), it's obvious that the early-90s' Canucks team was falling apart from about 1995, and the free-agent signing attempts of Gretzky in '96 (Wayne was willing but Canucks' Stan McCammon, reporting to John McCaw, botched it), and Messier in '97 (successfuly), were desperate moves to prop-up a team in decline. Mess's arrival in autumn '97 coincided with the team's nadir circa 1997-98... whether he was there or not.

Accusation #2: Messier demanded Wayne Maki's retired #11
REALITY: #11 was NOT retired, and it was the Canucks management that told Messier he could wear #11 before he arrived in Vancouver, without consulting the Maki family

Like, duh! This is supposed to be Messier's fault?? An obscure player, who died when Mess was 8 years old (in the middle of violent stick-fight), is supposed to be on a free-agent's mind in 1997 as he's looking for a multi-million dollar deal? How is a brand-new free-agent signing supposed to have "respect for (Canucks') history"? Isn't that managements' job? Is Messier supposed to come into the dressing room, see his #11 practice jersey, and immediately say: "Attention! After my careful off-season study of Canucks' history, I -- on my first day here -- refuse to wear the jersey management has given me because I know a lot about an obscure player!" (cue standing ovation from dressing room)

From The Vancouver Sun, October 18th 1997:
No. 11 was re-issued to new Canuck captain Mark Messier this season after 23 years out of circulation. Beverly Maki was not contacted before the Messier signing July 28 and was shocked to discover her husband's number had been re-issued watching the news conference on television. She doesn't object to Messier wearing No. 11 but would like the number retired again following Messier's career.

Around this time (just after?), Beverly Maki said: "We've offered to let Mark wear it for the three years he plays here and then we want them to retire the number again."

In fact, Pat Quinn had told Messier that everything had been taken care of before he arrived, but in fact no one from the Canucks had contacted the Maki family. Canucks' management deserve 100% of the blame here, and it is to them that fans should express their anger.

Accusation #3: Messier demanded Linden relinquish the captaincy
REALITY: Linden offered it to Messier freely

When Messier signed in Vancouver at the '97 press conference, he was asked about the captaincy and he publicly endorsed Linden, saying there was no reason to change the captain. However, years later, Linden admitted he felt had had no choice but to give up the captaincy because if the team failed, he was going to get second guessed. That is, Linden completely chickened out at the moment the team was going into a decline. (I don't necessarily fault Linden, though, because it seems that he was under pressure -- probably from Canucks' management, again -- to defer to the high-priced veteran they'd just signed.)

Somehow, Canucks' management subtly pressuring Linden to consider giving up the 'C' has been twisted into "The-evil-Messier-told-noble-Linden-to-give-him-the-'C'-now-or-else!". What Linden should have done here was man-up and do exactly what he told the BC-media he planned to do in September 1997 -- keep the 'C' and just let Messier be another veteran leadership presence in the room. Linden chose not to do what he had planned to do.

Accusation #4: Messier's presence dispirited the Canucks' dressing room
REALITY: The Canucks' dressing room was in a shambolic state, with Linden as captain, from at least 1996, if not 1995.

From LCS-Hockey (1997):
In the summer of 1995 . . . Once holdout captain Trevor Linden was signed, that was supposed to be the year the Canucks took their offense to the next level. Instead . . . rumors of strife and conflict swirled around players and coaching staff alike. After months of speculation, Pat Quinn fired his taciturn coach, Rick Ley, and stepped behind the bench himself....

So, in the summer of 1996, Quinn addressed the dissension in the dressing room by hiring a young, articulate "players’ coach", Tom Renney. Changing the mood was supposed to fix the vibe in the Vancouver dressing room and once again, come training camp, fans were cautiously optimistic about the fresh start. Once again, it didn’t take long for the vision to unravel.... A few big-margin losses quickly drained away all the promised team-spirit, so in-fighting and finger-pointing became the team traditions in a year where the Canucks failed to make the playoffs for the first time this decade.

This is all one year or more before Messier arrived. (Wait, wasn't Linden supposed to be the perfect captain...?) In spring 1997, when Esa Tikkanen and Russ Courtnall were both picked up by the Rangers at the deadline, they both commented publicly on how dysfunctional the Canucks' team was at that time.

Years after Messier left, people like Markus Naslund and Brian Burke have repeatedly praised Mess's leadership qualities during that difficult period for the franchise. (The only Canuck I'm aware of who threw Mess under the bus is that notable Hall of Famer, Gino Odjick, whose 15-minutes of local fame were up by then.)

Accusation #5: Messier's play was terrible & he was hated by Canuck fans
REALITY: Messier's play was passable, considering his age, and he was voted team MVP by the Vancouver fans in 2000

Remembering that Messier was 36 to 39 years old, his point production was:
1998 - 0.73 PPG (3rd on the Canucks)
1999 - 0.81 PPG (2nd on the Canucks)
2000 - 0.82 PPG (2nd on the Canucks)

Since the Dead-Puck era started (roughly 1998 forward), Mess's 0.82 PPG is the 10th-highest in the NHL among 39, 40, and 41-year-olds (min. 40 games played). And most of the names above him played on considerably better teams.

And, again -- this is the hard one for Canucks' fans to swallow -- Messier was voted team MVP for 1999-2000 by Canucks' fans. This, when he was almost 40.

(Five years from now, will Alex Ovechkin be able to get 0.82 PPG? I doubt it.)

Messier's MVP-of-team status in 2000 was probably well deserved. The 1999-2000 Canucks went through a stretch where they won just 3 times in 16 games without injured Mark Messier in the line-up -- and in those final 30 games with Messier, they won 15 games and collected 37 points, missing the playoffs by just 4 points. In that 30 game playoff push, Messier had 26 points. In other words, had 39-year-old Mess not missed some games, they'd probably have made the playoffs in 2000.

Clearly, Messier was not at his best in Vancouver (duh!), and he was not as physically or defensively engaged as during his salad years. But that's exactly what you'd expect from someone his age -- like, say, Joe Thornton today with San Jose.

I could go on, but that's enough...

CONCLUSION:
The Canucks from 1997 to 2000 sucked, with or without Messier. Obviously Messier didn't play that well (though not that bad either), nor did the team, but only a loser-mentality would attempt to pin this on one player. THE FACT IS THIS WAS A NON-PLAYOFF TEAM, AND ALREADY IN DECLINE, BEFORE MESSIER ARRIVED.

The Canucks'-management is mainly to blame for bringing in Messier when it should have been obvious that a youth-movement led by up-and-comers was what was needed, not a pushing-40 veteran, who -- by virtue of his weighty contract -- would be forced into playing big minutes.

At the end of the day, Messier had about 17 brilliant, Hall of Fame seasons (1980-1997) when he was the 2nd to 4th best center in hockey, the winningest player (along with Trottier, Lowe), and he was widely popular and respected by fans, teammates, and media. He is one of the greatest hockey leaders of all time, and his reputation there is fully deserved. His piddly three years on the west coast playing for a team in decline is never going to change that.
Counterpoints:

Point #1:

The Canucks were three games below .500 in 1995-96 and five games below .500 in 1996-97. In both years, the team dealt with significant injuries. Namely, Pavel Bure was absent for all but 15 games of the 1995-96 campaign due to his knee injury.

In 1996-97, Bure suffered all season from a neck injury, hampering his ability to play at his usual level. Trevor Linden played only 49 games as a result of an MCL sprain and later a rib injury.

Linden adds heart to Canucks: Canuck captain, still suffering from torn rib cartilage, makes surprise return to lineup.: [FINAL Edition]
MacIntyre, Ian. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]27 Mar 1997: C.1.
Linden missed the previous eight games due to his rib injury, sustained on March 8 when cross-checked by Detroit Red Wing Vladimir Konstantinov. In December and January Linden missed 24 games due to torn knee ligaments.
Over-matched defence crew killing Canucks: Injuries to Jyrki Lumme, Bret Hedican and Chris Joseph add to defensive woes as Vancouver losing streak reaches four games.: [FINAL Edition]
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]02 Jan 1997: F.1.
Tom Renney and the Canucks are in a 3-9-1 pickle because Quinn has been unable to provide sufficient blueline depth to overcome the loss to injury of Jyrki Lumme, Bret Hedican and Chris Joseph.
Canucks' sick bay still full: Vancouver's injured include Bure, Linden and Roberts.: [FINAL Edition]
The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C.
[Vancouver, B.C]21 Mar 1997: C.4.
The most talented forward line for the Vancouver Canucks watches from the press box late in the NHL season.

Sniper Pavel Bure, captain Trevor Linden and versatile Dave Roberts are injured and their return is not imminent.

Bure suffers from recurring headaches stemming from a whiplash injury suffered in the league opener back in October.

Linden has sore ribs and hasn't played since March 8, while Roberts has a hip problem that won't go away.

Earlier this week, the Canucks also had netminder Kirk McLean, defenceman Jyrki Lumme and forward Sergei Nemchinov on the sidelines with various ailments.

The Canucks were unable to trade for immediate help at the deadline this week because of their lengthy injury list.

Linden and McLean had been mentioned in several trade rumors.

``We have played reasonably well, considering our depth,'' Canucks coach Tom Renney said this week after a 1-3-1 road trip.

The Canucks are concerned about the slow recovery of Bure.
The Boston Bruins had allegedly proposed sending Adam Oates to Vancouver in exchange for Trevor Linden, one-for-one. The Canucks declined.

Vancouver not on Oates' itinerary: Bruins wanted Trevor Linden for 34-year-old centre straight up, but Canucks declined.: [FINAL Edition]
MacIntyre, Iain. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]26 Feb 1997: E.2.
As the hockey world buzzed Monday over the trade of Toronto Maple Leaf Doug Gilmour, it became clearer in the happy little land of the Vancouver Canucks that Adam Oates likely isn't coming here and Russ Courtnall isn't staying.

And a source close to Oates said the 34-year-old could be going to the Canucks as part of a package that would see Vancouver captain Trevor Linden go to the Bruins.

But Canuck assistant general manager George McPhee said late Monday afternoon that the club had not spoken recently with the Bruins. Asked if it were possible Linden could be involved in a trade with Boston, McPhee said ``definitely not.''

``We've talked to them -- we've talked to every team -- but I wouldn't say anything is happening,'' McPhee said. ``It was a while ago.''

The Bruins asked several weeks ago for a straight Oates-for-Linden swap, but the Canucks flatly refused that proposal.
The Canucks struggled in the 1995-96 and 1996-97 seasons as result of missing their stars. Linden was an 80-point player and a Selke Trophy candidate in 1995-96, but the team missed Bure. They faced the 1996 Stanley Cup Champion Colorado Avalanche in the first round of that year's playoffs, losing in six games. The next season, not only were Bure and Linden hurt, but the team had other injuries to top players. They missed the playoffs by a mere four points as a result.

Point #2:

One of the Messier's contract demands was the #11 (see #9 in the following image).

A look at the handwritten contract Mark Messier signed with Canucks in 1997 (PHOTOS) | Offside

messier-canucks-contract-2.png

This was written into his contract. It was part of his brand a la #99 for Gretzky and #66 for Lemieux. A precedent had been set in Vancouver for players not to wear #11. Chris Oddleifson, the Canucks' captain in 1976-77, changed his number to fourteen after Maki's death.

A respectable leader would have chosen to change his number out of respect for the family. To the Makis, the #11 was a symbol of a departed family member; to Mark Messier, the number #11 was part of his image. Messier's insistence that he continue to wear #11 prompted a response from Oddleifson. He was aware of the family's grievance, but opted to have the team's management defend his use of the number.

The Maki family lobbied unsuccessfully for three months in private. Their insistence that the number was retired suggests that they wanted it to remain that way; when they chose to make their story public, they seemed to offer some concessions so that the team would listen. This was not a significant issue in my article, but we can discuss it here.

The team was also responsible for this mishandling of the number, likely due to the fact that #11 was included in the contract. One must recall that the Canucks were one of many suitors for his services, and he took advantage. They were obligated to honor his request. I thought he could have handled this situation better by changing his number out of respect for the team's history and the wishes of the Maki family. His brand was much more important.

Maki jersey status unresolved: [Final Edition]
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]17 Oct 1997: C1 FRONT.
The widow of Wayne Maki, the Vancouver Canuck winger who died of brain cancer 23 years ago, is still upset that the Canucks refuse to acknowledge her husband's No. 11 jersey was retired following his death.
The number is currently being worn by new Vancouver captain Mark Messier. Canuck management contends the number was never officially retired, but merely taken out of circulation, before being issued to Messier on July 28.

Beverly Maki, through her lawyer George Majic, has written Canuck president Pat Quinn three times and forwarded documentation to his office, offering proof that No. 11 was in fact retired following the 1973-74 season. As well, there has been a number of telephone conversations between parties representing both sides. Not satisifed with the Canuck responses, Beverly Maki opted to go public this week.

"When I came over in the [Bob] Schmautz trade, I wore No. 11 for the remainder of the season but when I came to training camp in the fall, I was told the No. 11 was retired because of Wayne's death," Oddleison said Thursday. "The Canuck argument is that jerseys are retired because of service. Mrs. Maki is not looking for an ounce of money. She's appealing to the Canucks on a humanitarian stance, not a legal one. She is offering a win-win situation."

Messier, told Thursday of the family's emotional reaction to the issue, said he would be more than happy to meet the Makis.

"Yes, I'm aware No. 11 was worn by Mr. Maki and I have offered to do numerous things," Messier said. "I've had numerous talks with Pat and he assured me not to worry about it, he was taking care of it. We even talked about doing some kind of ceremony."

Majic said the Makis have remained quiet since Messier's signing and have been trying to resolve what to them is a very sensitive and important matter.

"We have been very patient," said Majic, a Fernie lawyer and longtime friend of the family. "I wrote to Pat and said `do the right thing, make the family happy.' The Makis would never deny Mark wearing No. 11. Mark Messier is a total class act. and the family would consider it a great honor for him to wear the shirt. We're not trying to embarass anybody here. All the family wants is maybe a photo-opportunity -- and a little respect for a husband and a dad."
They relented, allowing the number to be temporarily un-retired as long as Wayne Maki's memory was honored in the some fashion.

Point #3:

I've addressed this point in the article. The team could not co-exist with Messier looking in from the outside. Linden knew that; Leetch knew that. Messier admitted that he would not be providing as much leadership without being in the role of captain. He was brought to Vancouver for leadership.

Obviously, it was a mistake to allow him to operate" as usual."

Ex-captain lightens his load
Starkman, Randy. Toronto Star; Toronto, Ont. [Toronto, Ont]03 Oct 1997: E.2.
Messier conceded he had been holding himself back to a degree in some areas because of his status as a new member on the team.

"Obviously when Trevor was captain, there's certain things that you don't do to step in the way of the leader of the hockey club. There's no question about that. For me right now, it's business as usual, trying to do the things I've done over the last eight, nine years."
Could he have not just done things as usual without taking the captaincy? Who would say this? Messier inferred that to conduct his behavior as he did in New York without the "C" on his chest would be to interfere with role of the group's leader. He could not just be himself without it.

Over the course of the year, he and Mike Keenan hijacked the dressing room and effectively ousted the other leaders.

Point #4:

The controversy with regards to the team's dressing room had much to do with the team's coach, Tom Renney. This was the grievance that numerous players had when they left. Renney was a rookie NHL coach, and his experience came from coaching junior-aged players. His greatest flaw was his treatment of the players as if they were kids. His systems were excessively complex. This is what Russ Courtnall said when he was traded.

Frankly, it reminds me of the experience of Oilers players with Dallas Eakins in Edmonton -- "fat-free this and fat-free that."

Bored of education: Life with Canucks like being back in school: Tik, Russ: [Final Edition]
Tony Gallagher and staff reporter. The Province; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]22 Apr 1997: A48 / FRONT.
On Monday, Russ Courtnall and Esa Tikkanen went on the record with descriptions of life under Canucks coach Tom Renney this season and it is a picture that needs to change for the club to go forward.

"It was like being back in school," said Tikkanen. "You had a guy who had been in the league 17 years (Dave Babych) who was being told what he could do and what he couldn't do with his life."

"Since I've come to the Rangers, I've seen how they treat the players and what a team atmosphere should be," Courtnall said. "The guys are relaxed and joking around and serious when they have to be. There is pizza and beer on the bus and the plane and everyone is talking, playing cards and enjoying each other's company.

"In Vancouver, the coach would take things off the plane. We'd get on and there would be fat-free this and fat-free that. A lot has been made of this beer on the charters thing, but you can't be following professionals around telling them what they can eat and can't drink."

Renney responded that the complaints were about "minor rules" and that players were treated as adults this season.

"Anyone can disagree with what a coach does or doesn't do," Renney said. "There's no question we're doing the right thing in Vancouver."
Shovel the blame on coach Renney: [Final Edition]
Macrae, Neil. The Province; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]27 Mar 1997: A76.
Renney has to be held as much, if not more, responsible for this disastrous season as anyone because his team looks like it hasn't had a practice all year.

Many of the players complain they don't get enough time away from the rink, that Renney skates them too much.

You wouldn't believe that after seeing them play. General manager Pat Quinn has to be doing some serious second-guessing about his decision to hire Renney. It's obvious his players have quit on him.
This is what Alexander Mogilny said about Renney:

Mogilny just wants to win: Happiness is a winning season says Canuck Alexander Mogilny as free agency looms July 1.: [FINAL Edition]
MacIntyre, Iain. The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]14 Apr 1997: D.3.
And even the coach is good enough for Mogilny, who earlier in the season was upset with Tom Renney over his lack of playing time.

``It was his first year,'' Mogilny said of Renney. ``And you've got to realize the first year for anybody is tough. I thought he came around. Coming from junior and the national team, it's a different ball game than here.

``There's no kids on this team. It's all grown-up men. I hope he understands that. I hope he'll learn because he's got a good mind for hockey. He's learning to work with his key players and understand what they need. It's not like you need to baby guys. I thought he came around quite a bit toward the end.''

Mogilny claimed he never disliked Renney, but believed the coach did not like him because Mogilny wasn't playing as much as he did last season. Renney conceded Sunday he did not know how to handle elite European players, but said he will learn from his mistakes.
Renney's heart was in the right place, but, in Mogilny's words, he treated the players as if they were "kids."

The team needed a players' coach. Nevertheless, they missed the playoffs by just four points even with all of the injuries and the objections of some to Renney's dressing room culture. Their result was commendable in light of the circumstances. They would have been a playoff team had they been healthy. It was the first time since 1989-90 that Linden did not play a full season and also the first time that they missed the playoffs since 1989-90. There's a correlation.

The following season, the team fell to 18 games under .500 with the Messier and Keenan distractions. The Renney experience paled in comparison. They finished last in the Western Conference.

Point #5:

Mark Messier's play was terrible. I've provided ample footage, unless you are confident enough to say that this was the norm for Messier.

Messier was a fantastic player in his prime. He was intense and powerful. In Vancouver, he coasted and was criticized for his careless, lackadaisical efforts; you can see that in the presentation above.

His level of interest rose in the final year, showing that he was capable of playing that way throughout his time in Vancouver. He became the leader of a young pack of players. His situation as the team's sole leader may have inspired him. I've cited in my article a quotation in which he admits having evolved his approach over the course of the three seasons.

Last edited:

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Not going to clutter with quoting the above post, but the #11 appearing in the contract does not automatically make it a Messier demand. It’s just as likely (and honestly, seems more so) that the team put that in there as a way of showing him what they we’re willing to do to get him.

So if that is the real contract (even reading the link behind it, I’m not sure, but let’s assume it is) the appearance of #11 does not equal a “Messier demand”.

Thinking about it logically, if no one on the team had #11, there is no reason for Messier to have to demand it, as I think it’s a stretch for him to have known the franchise had unofficially retired it. IMO, it’s much more likely that part was put in by the team.

CambieKev

Aug 26, 2019
Not going to clutter with quoting the above post, but the #11 appearing in the contract does not automatically make it a Messier demand. It’s just as likely (and honestly, seems more so) that the team put that in there as a way of showing him what they we’re willing to do to get him.

So if that is the real contract (even reading the link behind it, I’m not sure, but let’s assume it is) the appearance of #11 does not equal a “Messier demand”.

Thinking about it logically, if no one on the team had #11, there is no reason for Messier to have to demand it, as I think it’s a stretch for him to have known the franchise had unofficially retired it. IMO, it’s much more likely that part was put in by the team.
I appreciate the response.

The photographs were sourced from this tweet by Darren Rovell, ESPN's sports business reporter at the time of the tweet; he has since moved on to the Action Network.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...e-espn-action-network-theyre-buying-me-brand/

He says that the contract was in the Monarch Sports & Wealth Management offices. Monarch Sports & Wealth Management was founded by Barry Klarberg, who was once Mark Messier's accountant.

Barry Klarberg - Wikipedia

HOCKEY; Let's Hoist That Banner! Will Messier Join Party?
The primary negotiator for Messier is his father, Doug. The top bargainer for the Rangers' ownership is Dave Checketts, president of Madison Square Garden.

Barry Klarberg, Messier's accountant, said late tonight that Doug Messier spoke earlier in the day via a telephone conference call with Checketts and Neil Smith, the Rangers' president and general manager, and that more information was exchanged.

"As you can see, it's going down to the wire," said Klarberg, who said he hoped a settlement would be reached by Friday. "Mark has a good handle on what's going on."
HOCKEY; Messier Gets Impatient About New Contract
Barry Klarberg gets paid to count Mark Messier's money. As Messier's accountant, Klarberg is also involved in negotiations with the Rangers to get his client a new contract. But Klarberg hasn't seen any new numbers with dollar signs in front of them attached to Messier's name.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Snipped for space
I don’t doubt the contract or intend to call in to doubt anything about it, I just don’t think it serves as proof that Messier demanded any jersey number, when that line item can just as easily be from the team. I have my opinion above why I think that is the more likely case.
Perhaps I missed something in the links (accountant here working OT, reading hockey boards between clients) but I didn’t take it to be a list of Messier’s contract demands direct from him.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Ooof... it's rough seeing a certain group of a single fan base trying to vilify a guy who was on the down swing of his career.

When Messier returned to the Rangers and coasted well into his 40s I couldn't wait for him to hang them up so we can move into a better, younger direction but I wasn't as delusional about the overall status of the Rangers to think that Messier was the only problem. Don't blame Messier, blame the ones who gave him ice time and a contract when he was well over the hill, and yes that included his time before he even went to Vancouver.

The length some guys go to try and convince people that Messier is a "horrible human being" is cringe worthy at best and flat out stupid at worst.

Reactions: barbu

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I can't believe he stole the number of The Canucks hero who was best remembered for cracking the skull of another player with a tomahawk swing.......

The guy would have been banned for life from today's NHL.
It wasn’t in my time, never watched the guy play. Apparently both players were charged with assault for swinging there sticks at each other, nobody ever claimed he was a Canuck hero, don’t know where you got that from... you don’t take a deceased players number that’s nobody wore after 1974... it’s a respect thing and when you’re regarded as a great leader in the sport you ESPECIALLY don’t do that. That’s why that award to me is a “fake” award that nobody will ever care about. All the other stuff that happened with him and the Canucks is whatever, I don’t care about that stuff as we got some pretty good players in the Linden trade.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It wasn’t in my time, never watched the guy play. Apparently both players were charged with assault for swinging there sticks at each other, nobody ever claimed he was a Canuck hero, don’t know where you got that from... you don’t take a deceased players number that’s nobody wore after 1974... it’s a respect thing and when you’re regarded as a great leader in the sport you ESPECIALLY don’t do that. That’s why that award to me is a “fake” award that nobody will ever care about. All the other stuff that happened with him and the Canucks is whatever, I don’t care about that stuff as we got some pretty good players in the Linden trade.

Respect for a guy that nearly killed someone with a tomahawk swing? Surely you must be joking?

Its sad that the guy was diagnosed with brain cancer, but his number being unofficially retired was a little ridiculous. He was there for 2-3 seasons.

Canucks fans are just clinging to any reason to slag Messier.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Advance Notice: I will not be posting further on this subject -- and I certainly won't be responding to posters who confront me -- because my experience on this forum is that any attempt at a rational discussion about Messier's time in Vancouver brings out the worst in posters (a small minority of Canuck fans) who feel it is their sworn duty to loudly denigrate anything to do with Messier in this particular time frame.

With that out of the way, I will now present some cold, hard reality for those who might have been around at that time or who aren't well-versed in the topic (because I wouldn't want them to believe a lot of the stuff posted so far in this thread):

Accusation #1: Messier's arrival destroyed the team
REALITY: The Canucks were already well-into a sharp decline before Messier arrived.

Before Messier:
94/95: 18-18-12 (2nd place)
95/96: 32-35-15 (3rd place)
96/97: 35-40-7 (4th place, missed playoffs)

With Messier:
97/98: 25-43-14 (7th place, missed playoffs)
98/99: 23-47-12 (4th place, missed playoffs)
99/00: 30-29-15-8 (3rd place, missed playoffs by four points)

In retrospect (and at the time, if anyone was looking at it rationally), it's obvious that the early-90s' Canucks team was falling apart from about 1995, and the free-agent signing attempts of Gretzky in '96 (Wayne was willing but Canucks' Stan McCammon, reporting to John McCaw, botched it), and Messier in '97 (successfuly), were desperate moves to prop-up a team in decline. Mess's arrival in autumn '97 coincided with the team's nadir circa 1997-98... whether he was there or not.

Accusation #2: Messier demanded Wayne Maki's retired #11
REALITY: #11 was NOT retired, and it was the Canucks management that told Messier he could wear #11 before he arrived in Vancouver, without consulting the Maki family

Like, duh! This is supposed to be Messier's fault?? An obscure player, who died when Mess was 8 years old (in the middle of violent stick-fight), is supposed to be on a free-agent's mind in 1997 as he's looking for a multi-million dollar deal? How is a brand-new free-agent signing supposed to have "respect for (Canucks') history"? Isn't that managements' job? Is Messier supposed to come into the dressing room, see his #11 practice jersey, and immediately say: "Attention! After my careful off-season study of Canucks' history, I -- on my first day here -- refuse to wear the jersey management has given me because I know a lot about an obscure player!" (cue standing ovation from dressing room)

From The Vancouver Sun, October 18th 1997:
No. 11 was re-issued to new Canuck captain Mark Messier this season after 23 years out of circulation. Beverly Maki was not contacted before the Messier signing July 28 and was shocked to discover her husband's number had been re-issued watching the news conference on television. She doesn't object to Messier wearing No. 11 but would like the number retired again following Messier's career.

Around this time (just after?), Beverly Maki said: "We've offered to let Mark wear it for the three years he plays here and then we want them to retire the number again."

In fact, Pat Quinn had told Messier that everything had been taken care of before he arrived, but in fact no one from the Canucks had contacted the Maki family. Canucks' management deserve 100% of the blame here, and it is to them that fans should express their anger.

Accusation #3: Messier demanded Linden relinquish the captaincy
REALITY: Linden offered it to Messier freely

When Messier signed in Vancouver at the '97 press conference, he was asked about the captaincy and he publicly endorsed Linden, saying there was no reason to change the captain. However, years later, Linden admitted he felt had had no choice but to give up the captaincy because if the team failed, he was going to get second guessed. That is, Linden completely chickened out at the moment the team was going into a decline. (I don't necessarily fault Linden, though, because it seems that he was under pressure -- probably from Canucks' management, again -- to defer to the high-priced veteran they'd just signed.)

Somehow, Canucks' management subtly pressuring Linden to consider giving up the 'C' has been twisted into "The-evil-Messier-told-noble-Linden-to-give-him-the-'C'-now-or-else!". What Linden should have done here was man-up and do exactly what he told the BC-media he planned to do in September 1997 -- keep the 'C' and just let Messier be another veteran leadership presence in the room. Linden chose not to do what he had planned to do.

Accusation #4: Messier's presence dispirited the Canucks' dressing room
REALITY: The Canucks' dressing room was in a shambolic state, with Linden as captain, from at least 1996, if not 1995.

From LCS-Hockey (1997):
In the summer of 1995 . . . Once holdout captain Trevor Linden was signed, that was supposed to be the year the Canucks took their offense to the next level. Instead . . . rumors of strife and conflict swirled around players and coaching staff alike. After months of speculation, Pat Quinn fired his taciturn coach, Rick Ley, and stepped behind the bench himself....

So, in the summer of 1996, Quinn addressed the dissension in the dressing room by hiring a young, articulate "players’ coach", Tom Renney. Changing the mood was supposed to fix the vibe in the Vancouver dressing room and once again, come training camp, fans were cautiously optimistic about the fresh start. Once again, it didn’t take long for the vision to unravel.... A few big-margin losses quickly drained away all the promised team-spirit, so in-fighting and finger-pointing became the team traditions in a year where the Canucks failed to make the playoffs for the first time this decade.

This is all one year or more before Messier arrived. (Wait, wasn't Linden supposed to be the perfect captain...?) In spring 1997, when Esa Tikkanen and Russ Courtnall were both picked up by the Rangers at the deadline, they both commented publicly on how dysfunctional the Canucks' team was at that time.

Years after Messier left, people like Markus Naslund and Brian Burke have repeatedly praised Mess's leadership qualities during that difficult period for the franchise. (The only Canuck I'm aware of who threw Mess under the bus is that notable Hall of Famer, Gino Odjick, whose 15-minutes of local fame were up by then.)

Accusation #5: Messier's play was terrible & he was hated by Canuck fans
REALITY: Messier's play was passable, considering his age, and he was voted team MVP by the Vancouver fans in 2000

Remembering that Messier was 36 to 39 years old, his point production was:
1998 - 0.73 PPG (3rd on the Canucks)
1999 - 0.81 PPG (2nd on the Canucks)
2000 - 0.82 PPG (2nd on the Canucks)

Since the Dead-Puck era started (roughly 1998 forward), Mess's 0.82 PPG is the 10th-highest in the NHL among 39, 40, and 41-year-olds (min. 40 games played). And most of the names above him played on considerably better teams.

And, again -- this is the hard one for Canucks' fans to swallow -- Messier was voted team MVP for 1999-2000 by Canucks' fans. This, when he was almost 40.

(Five years from now, will Alex Ovechkin be able to get 0.82 PPG? I doubt it.)

Messier's MVP-of-team status in 2000 was probably well deserved. The 1999-2000 Canucks went through a stretch where they won just 3 times in 16 games without injured Mark Messier in the line-up -- and in those final 30 games with Messier, they won 15 games and collected 37 points, missing the playoffs by just 4 points. In that 30 game playoff push, Messier had 26 points. In other words, had 39-year-old Mess not missed some games, they'd probably have made the playoffs in 2000.

Clearly, Messier was not at his best in Vancouver (duh!), and he was not as physically or defensively engaged as during his salad years. But that's exactly what you'd expect from someone his age -- like, say, Joe Thornton today with San Jose.

I could go on, but that's enough...

CONCLUSION:
The Canucks from 1997 to 2000 sucked, with or without Messier. Obviously Messier didn't play that well (though not that bad either), nor did the team, but only a loser-mentality would attempt to pin this on one player. THE FACT IS THIS WAS A NON-PLAYOFF TEAM, AND ALREADY IN DECLINE, BEFORE MESSIER ARRIVED.

The Canucks'-management is mainly to blame for bringing in Messier when it should have been obvious that a youth-movement led by up-and-comers was what was needed, not a pushing-40 veteran, who -- by virtue of his weighty contract -- would be forced into playing big minutes.

At the end of the day, Messier had about 17 brilliant, Hall of Fame seasons (1980-1997) when he was the 2nd to 4th best center in hockey, the winningest player (along with Trottier, Lowe), and he was widely popular and respected by fans, teammates, and media. He is one of the greatest hockey leaders of all time, and his reputation there is fully deserved. His piddly three years on the west coast playing for a team in decline is never going to change that.
Wayne maki died half a decade after the ted green stuff

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Respect for a guy that nearly killed someone with a tomahawk swing? Surely you must be joking?

Its sad that the guy was diagnosed with brain cancer, but his number being unofficially retired was a little ridiculous. He was there for 2-3 seasons.

Canucks fans are just clinging to any reason to slag Messier.

I’m not. Again both were charged for that stick swinging fight not sure why you’re leaving that little detail out. If Green had connected he would have “nearly killed him with a tomahawk swing”. Seems like a kill or be killed situation when two guys are swinging there sticks at each other no?Green also returned to play two more seasons and also won a cup. Both were acquitted.

There’s a saying that goes “respect the dead”. Not sure if you’ve heard of it.

It’s just weird you’ve won all these cups, you’re brought to the team to show/bring leadership and you’re first move? Take the dead guys number.

CambieKev

Aug 26, 2019
The iconic number he wore for two and a half seasons of his career.
This is irrelevant. He was a member of the Canucks when he was diagnosed with brain cancer partway through the 1972-73 season; he passed away just over a year later. The team took his number out of circulation.

The situation is very similar to that of the Pittsburgh Penguins' Michel Brière, who played one season in 1969-70 with the Penguins before being involved in a car crash. He passed away on April 13, 1971 after nearly a year in a coma. His #21 was unofficially retired for 30 years before the team decided to officially raise a banner in his honor in 2001.

No other player has ever worn #21 in Pittsburgh out of respect for Brière.

Bill Masterton's #19 was retired by the North Stars and has never been worn in Dallas. He played 38 NHL games with the North Stars in 1967-68. The NHL named a trophy after him in his memory.

Likewise, #28, #37 and #38 are no longer worn in Vancouver due to the passing of Luc Bourdon, Pavol Demitra, and Rick Rypien, respectively.

Before Connor Hellebuyck could switch to his current #37, he asked for the blessing of Dan Snyder's family.

Mark Messier did not have the blessing of the Maki family.

Canucks look rich and confused: [Final Edition]
Cox, Damien. Toronto Star; Toronto, Ont. [Toronto, Ont]28 Aug 1997: D.9.
The splash of the Messier signing was muffled somewhat by the callous manner in which the club gave No. 11 to the former Ranger captain, a jersey number that had been unofficially retired by the club for almost a quarter-century in honor of former Canuck Wayne Maki.

Maki died of cancer in 1974, and his family wasn't asked for permission to put his number back in circulation.

``They said they tried to get a hold of us, but obviously they didn't try very hard to get our blessing, which they don't have,'' said Maki's son, Wayne Jr
This story was publicized throughout the news from the very day Messier arrived in Vancouver. The list appears to feature his own criteria for signing: a no trade clause, travel benefits for Messier Management International, the option to live in Washington State, etc. His agent was his father, Doug.

The only other explanation is that the team forced Messier to wear #11, but that doesn't sound right. Messier has always been an independent thinker and never was afraid to challenge his team's management.

When the Rangers re-signed Gretzky in 1997:

Final showing?; Marvel at aging piece of art while you still can
Cole, Cam. Edmonton Journal; Edmonton, Alta. [Edmonton, Alta]08 Oct 1997: D.1.
He got the money the Rangers refused to pay Mark Messier because Gretzky didn't back the club into a corner.

He said he wanted to stay, and a deal was worked out quickly.

"We don't respond to threats," said Garden president Dave Checketts, an obvious shot at Messier's confrontational approach.
When Messier was negotiating a contract renewal in 1991 with the Oilers:

Contract Mess bugs the Oilers: [Final Edition]

Turchansky, Ray. Edmonton Journal; Edmonton, Alta. [Edmonton, Alta]22 Jan 1991: D1.
Doug Messier had told the media his son could be an ex-Oiler if he doesn't get a new pact. He's asking for $2 million a year, while the Oilers have offered a reported $1.5 million for each of five years.

"I'm surprised," Sather said of the latest stories coming from the Messier camp. "Maybe it's Messier's way of negotiating."

Sather also repeated that he's not trying to trade the 30-year-old centre, who was the NHL's most valuable player last year.

Asked whether he expects negotiations to go on a long time, Sather said: "I don't think so."

Meanwhile, coach John Muckler is tired of the soap opera.

"What can I do?" said Muckler. "All I can do is give a player more ice time. I don't mind a guy renegotiating his contract, but I don't like guys walking out in the middle of a season."
Messier held out and was traded to the Rangers because he refused to accept the Oilers' deal. He became the third-highest paid player in the NHL.

$13-million deal : Rangers sign Messier to five-year contract: [Final Edition]
Kitchener - Waterloo Record; Kitchener, Ont. [Kitchener, Ont]12 Dec 1991: D2.
Messier spent 12 years with the Edmonton Oilers, playing on five Stanley Cup championship teams. He held out this year and, after rejecting a $2 million offer from the Oilers, was traded to the Rangers on Oct. 4 for Bernie Nicholls and rookies Louie DeBrusk and Steven Rice.
Messier said he and Smith talked about negotiating a new deal prior to his arrival in New York.

"I talked to Neil about a week before the trade and he assured me that, if the deal went through, there wouldn't be any problem getting this done," said Messier, who was represented by his father Doug and signed the contract Tuesday night. "I have to say Neil kept his word."

Neither the Rangers nor Messier would reveal exact financial details of the contract, which Smith called "the most complicated I've ever negotiated." However, Messier confirmed Wednesday that the deal covered five years, and he has mentioned the $13-million total in recent weeks.

Messier was reported to have received a $1-million signing bonus and will earn $1.75 million this season. He will then receive $2.35 million, $2.50 million, $2.65 million and $2.75 million over the remaining four years.

Both Smith and Messier said the deal is loaded with incentive clauses which are largely team oriented.

Messier's asking price too rich for Oilers
Strachan, Al. The Globe and Mail; Toronto, Ont. [Toronto, Ont]07 Feb 1991: C.10.
Pocklington feels he has been more than fair with the Messiers, but that $2-million is out of the question, largely because of the trickle- down effect it would have on the contracts of other Oilers.

But if Doug Messier proves flexible, then his son could stay in Edmonton. The burning question, though, is, if Messier is prepared to make concessions, why hasn't he already done so? The Messiers started bargaining at $2-million and stayed there. The Oilers' offers have been inching gradually upward.

The two sides met on Tuesday in Boston. Yesterday, Doug Messier was unavailable and Sather was in transit between the East Coast and Edmonton. But in a recent interview, Sather said, "I've offered Mark a hell of a deal. I'm willing to renegotiate as long as he's willing to put an extra year on his contract. I've offered him one year, two years. He says he would like six. That part is wide open.

"His contract was signed two years ago. He was happy as hell when he got his million. Very happy. What came into the picture was what Brett Hull got. All of a sudden, Hull and these other guys are making more money, so it's time to renegotiate again for the third time."

Sather said that if Messier accepts the offer on the table, "he's going to be very close to, if not the third-highest paid player in hockey."

That would mean that the Oilers are willing to pay what Steve Yzerman gets from the Detroit Red Wings, about $1.5-million (U.S.).

"In that neighbourhood," Sather said.
Trade rumors fly around Messier: [Final Edition]
Matheson, Jim. Edmonton Journal; Edmonton, Alta. [Edmonton, Alta]08 Jan 1991: D1.
Messier said Sather talked to his father Doug for 90 minutes Saturday about the contract impasse. Talks have been going on for more than four months.

"Doug gave Slats four different proposals, every one geared to my being able to stay in Edmonton," said the Oiler captain. "That's been my objective since the start of the talks. It's always been that way."

Doug Messier said he's waiting to hear back from Sather.

"I gave them to Glen and he was going to take them and discuss it with Peter (Pocklington) before he left for Phoenix (GM meetings). One of the proposals was for the time left on the current contract (1 1/2 years), one was for something long term . . . a number of different things with differing degrees of dollars," he said.

"I really hope something can be worked out. I feel I've put everything I have into the Oilers. I'd be pretty devastated if I was traded or sold," Messier said.
After no deal materialized with the Oilers, Messier requested a trade.

Messier says he's heading east; Trade talks been going on for a year: [FINAL Edition]
Turchansky, Ray. Edmonton Journal; Edmonton, Alta. [Edmonton, Alta]05 Sep 1991: E1.
Messier has two years left on a contract that paid him $962,000 last year. Negotiations to pay him more than $2 million annually fell apart over the issue of deferred payments.

Now Messier says: "I don't really think finances or money have anything to do with it anymore."

He just wants out. And he went public with that request to speed up matters.

"I haven't talked to Glen hardly since the middle of the playoffs last season, for whatever reason. Renegotiating the contract came to a complete halt somewhere around January and I never talked to him about it after that.

"They've been trying to deal me for the last year."
Oilers general manager Glen Sather was in a difficult position, however. Everyone wanted a raise and the team simply did not possess the funds.

Dollars and sense of Sather's woes: [Final Edition]
Short, John. Edmonton Journal; Edmonton, Alta. [Edmonton, Alta]06 Sep 1991: E3.
A message from Esa Tikkanen's agent called for a $750,000 signing bonus in addition to $800,000 and $900,000 a year in a two-year contract.

"Why pay $750,000 in up-front bonus money to someone who's only going to do it again (make similar demands) in two years?" Sather fumed.

Agent Rich Winter's demand leaves Sather no closer to signing malcontent players. "The whole thing is ludicrous," he snapped after working all day on possible trades.

"Mark Messier, Craig Simpson, Steve Smith, Jeff Beukeboom and Glen Anderson are all asking ridiculous amounts of money," he told me.

One of the other clauses in the Vancouver contract proposal, "single room on road," is annotated, "not in contract, but parties will work together on this." I'm not sure they were forcing him to have a single room on the road or suggesting that he stay in his own room, so this appears to be a proposal drafted from the Messier party's perspective rather than the team's, or at the very least a list of terms that the team was offering.

In any case, he always had the ability to switch his number, regardless of whether the team permitted him its use. I don't doubt he would have received some merit points from that. Instead, he pretended that this was not an issue.

He is considered to be the greatest leader in hockey, but he also walked out on three teams over money. In that regard, he is somewhat overrated as a leader relative to other examples we've seen in the NHL.

Last edited:

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Canucks fans probably should have let this go, but way less more than everyone here reminding Canucks fans of this should have let go their bitterness towards the Canucks since the evil burrows and Kesler and super evil lightning rod Sedins haven’t played for them in ages and ages now. The “get a life” thing is a pendulum. It swings both ways.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
This is irrelevant. He was a member of the Canucks when he was diagnosed with brain cancer partway through the 1972-73 season; he passed away just over a year later. The team took his number out of circulation.

And the team gave it to Messier, indeed haven't retired the number to this day and I'm not aware of any pressure to do so even post-Messier.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Messier didn't even face any criminal charges for things he did on the ice unlike other Canuck heroes.

A true Anti-Canuck.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Ooof... it's rough seeing a certain group of a single fan base trying to vilify a guy who was on the down swing of his career.

When Messier returned to the Rangers and coasted well into his 40s I couldn't wait for him to hang them up so we can move into a better, younger direction but I wasn't as delusional about the overall status of the Rangers to think that Messier was the only problem. Don't blame Messier, blame the ones who gave him ice time and a contract when he was well over the hill, and yes that included his time before he even went to Vancouver.

The length some guys go to try and convince people that Messier is a "horrible human being" is cringe worthy at best and flat out stupid at worst.

If the only issue was his play, and his compensation, he would still be criticized, but it would have been a dead issue a long time ago. That happens all the time in pro sports.

What made this arrangement unique is was what he demanded from the team, which was something ownership should have never signed up for, but now that he had the power to do absolutely whatever he wanted, his decisions seemed more out of self interest, which contradicted his brand of supposed "greatest leader in sports".

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

The two seasons prior to signing with the Canucks Messier scored 74-47-52-99 and 71-36-48-84, it was both his offence and his leadership that let him command such high $$$ in free agency. A sudden decline could be somewhat forgiven and chalked up as a mistake, but his much vaunted leadership and overall effort/play was just ass. Something like how John Tortorella was here except he stuck around for 3 years and got paid a lot more money. I mean if the Canucks were able to pay Steve Yzerman or Joe Sakic past their prime, even if their on ice results weren't that good you wouldn't expect much ill will towards them because they probably would have you know, actually lead. Or the Canucks do have a good example of this Mats Sundin.

The thing that always makes me shake my head is where a lot of people here are saying 'why are Canuck fans so obsessed with Messier', I'd counter with 'why does it bother so many other fans that we hate Messier? Without arguing back and forth over specific points there are numerous circumstances and reasons experienced directly by Canucks fans in the 90's contributing to the ill will and leaving such a shitty impression of the guy. I mean what, can't we have that one? And if I may point out about the two viewpoints above, OP posted this on the Canucks board as well and has a mere 15 replies that say very little.

Thinking about it some more I think Torts makes a pretty good comparison, yet you don't see people championing his time here.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The thing that always makes me shake my head is where a lot of people here are saying 'why are Canuck fans so obsessed with Messier', I'd counter with 'why does it bother so many other fans that we hate Messier?

Because Canucks fans don't keep it to themselves.

I'm sure you can post all the anti-Messier threads you want on the Canucks board. The fact that Canucks fans keep posting all the anti-Messier stuff on the main boards is a cry for attention that no one else cares about.

CambieKev

Aug 26, 2019
Two weeks ago, Mike Keenan spoke with Scott Morrison on the Iron Mike Keenan Podcast about the entire ordeal. He spent a significant amount of time talking about it. Two key points that he discusses:

1. Mark Messier was the reason for Keenan's hiring in Vancouver. Keenan was effectively given a blank cheque because Messier wanted Keenan in Vancouver. To keep Messier happy, the organization promised him that they would hire his preferred coach.

2. The dressing room conflict was the result of the veteran group rejecting Messier. The leadership divide was between Messier and Linden. The organization was committed to Messier due to the new contract. The early 1998 fire sale was the fallout of this.

"I don't know how comfortable the room was, at that point, with the presence of Mark in the room, which had changed the franchise. Trevor was the number one guy on the team... but when mark comes in -- they acquired Mark Messier, so the dynamics of the room, the team building, had changed completely. There had to be a selection, and of course, Mark was the fella that brought me in... I was going to go with the man that won [with me], so that made a difference in the locker room as well."

3. Keenan did not appreciate the way that he was fired; he was in Whistler during the All-Star break and was notified by his agent at midnight on that Friday. Burke did not tell him until that Sunday.

I've time stamped it; it begins at 4:15:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad