[VIDEO] Mark Messier, The Anti-Canuck - A 20-Minute Look At His Catastrophic Time in Vancouver

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
The Lost Shifts Ep. 2: Mark Messier, the Anti-Canuck - Vancouver Is Awesome

In the storied mythos of the Vancouver Canucks, Mark Messier is undoubtedly the team's greatest villain. No coach, no general manager, nor any other player remains as reviled as the notorious Messier. If one were to consult any lifelong Canucks supporter for their opinion of their team's captain from 1997 to 2000, the responses would be unanimous: he epitomizes the injustices that have maligned the team throughout their fifty-year history.

He was always known for his gritty style. He was a talented playmaker, and he also possessed an excellent wrist shot. He was intelligent with the puck and reliable defensively. However, he punished opponents with vicious elbows, body checks and a malicious, physical approach. He was the ideal two-way forward.

In Vancouver, his physicality was absent. From the very beginning, commentators noticed a complete lack of intensity from the player frequently regarded as fierce and passionate. He was passive and lethargic. His words were hypocritical. His conduct destroyed his reputation in Vancouver.

In Episode II of The Lost Shifts, we examine Messier's play in one of his earliest performances with the Canucks: a home game against the Detroit Red Wings on October 26, 1997. It became clear within only a month that this acquisition was a blunder of catastrophic proportions.

Our format today deviates from that of our Pavel Bure episode (Episode I). In order to illustrate Messier's apathetic conduct in the most effective and concise fashion, today's presentation features every piece of footage from the match in which he appears on-screen as well as a few extended shifts where his absence from the frame should be considered troublesome.

Interview audio from Dan Russell's CKNW 980 show Sportstalk, as well as the insights of numerous commentators can be heard throughout the video. Episode II concludes with a five-minute montage feature.

Read the full article detailing his story of betrayal and sabotage at Pass It To Bulis: The Lost Shifts Ep. 2: Mark Messier, the Anti-Canuck - Vancouver Is Awesome

I am @CambieKev on Twitter.

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I dug into Messier a bit because I didn't know much the story. Was shocked to find out this happened when he was late in his 30's.

General question: was he a lot more engaged in his 2nd stint with NYR? Statistically, it looks like he saw a small bump in year 1 back with the Rags, but other than that, his stats were similar to Vancouver.

I actually don't even remember his 2nd stint with NYR, and I watched a lot of Ranger games during those years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fixxer

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
Mark Messier's performance in Vancouver was on par with what can reasonably be expected from a guy in his late thirties.

This to a tee. The Canucks went at him because Gretzky fleeced them the season before. They were prepared to do whatever it took despite Messier being horrible in the latter half of 96-97 and during the playoffs

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Mark Messier's performance in Vancouver was on par with what can reasonably be expected from a guy in his late thirties.

While that is true, I think a large part if the vitriol comes from his perceived attitude during this time. In particular his influence in bringing in Keenan and then seeing many popular players traded off. While the merits of those trades can be debated (and has been argued, the team was aging; it was a logical choice the ultimately led to success), the closeness of Messier to the management and ownership further spurred his perception in Vancouver. It's ultimately easier to pin the franchises downswing on one high-priced player, and it is compounded by him being the main opponent in 1994.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
At age 36 you can't realistically expect a guy to play as physically as he did at age 29, it's just not gonna happen.

And really in hockey mileage, Messier by that point was more like a 38-40 year old, he played so much extra hockey factoring in all the playoffs, Canada Cups, etc.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
The thing is...Messier was the best thing to happen to late 90s Canucks. If he hadn't they'd have been stuck with Trevor Linden as captain until the end of time.

Messier and Keenan ushered in the end of the Linden era.
Linden is traded for Bertuzzi and McCabe......hence without Messier showing up the West Coast Express never happens.
McCabe is included as a key piece in the chicago trade which brought Chicago's draft pick to Vancouver which they then used to draft both Sedins....hence without Messier the Canucks may end up with one, but definitely not both Sedins. Does 2011 ever happen then?

Canucks have what....6 players jerseys retired? Naslund 'claims' he learned leadership from Messier. That intangible aside, would Naslund have excelled as much as he did without Bertuzzi on his wing?

Could it be legitimately argued that the Canucks most successful season in history and 50% of their jersey retirements don't happen if Messier doesn't sign in Vancouver?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->