WC: Video-Highlights of the World Ice Hockey Championship 2013

masa2009

May 11, 2011
The announcing is so bush league, it's pathetic.
This is the OFFICIAL streaming service of the IIHF. Good lord.
Would it hurt to actually hire one native English speaking play by play guy for each arena?
It sounds like it was done by fans. And the worst thing is that it was already like that last year.

I mean, you have guys who worked NCAA DI games for college radios/TVs and would kill to add a World Championship gig to their resume. You could get them for a mid-range hotel room and a few meal tickets.
They would do a far better job than this.
I can understand maybe using Finnish players to whom English is not the mother tongue as analysts, but the play by play should be done by people who have a professional mastery of English.

gorgos

Feb 16, 2010
Holy crap! Are the IIHF using the same announcers as last year?! Oh my freaking god! They are beyond horrible. Why? Just... Why?

Luckily, I don't use the streaming service for live match viewing, but even watching the highlights are as painful as poking my eyes out with a fork.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
The announcing is so bush league, it's pathetic.
This is the OFFICIAL streaming service of the IIHF. Good lord.
Would it hurt to actually hire one native English speaking play by play guy for each arena?
It sounds like it was done by fans. And the worst thing is that it was already like that last year.

I mean, you have guys who worked NCAA DI games for college radios/TVs and would kill to add a World Championship gig to their resume. You could get them for a mid-range hotel room and a few meal tickets.
They would do a far better job than this.
I can understand maybe using Finnish players to whom English is not the mother tongue as analysts, but the play by play should be done by people who have a professional mastery of English.

they have apparantly a few native speakers....I think the play by play guy for the denmark-canada game was pretty good actually

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
These guys sound like they're more or less all from the British Isles. So I think this non-native crap is unjust. However, they're still not pleasant to listen to (no slight towards their accents).

Switlo

Oct 19, 2011
These guys sound like they're more or less all from the British Isles. So I think this non-native crap is unjust. However, they're still not pleasant to listen to (no slight towards their accents).

Actually you've beaten me in it. It IS British announcer and oh my...all these crap coming from NA posters here about non-native English commentators, even the freakiest Jordie accent of Northern England Newcastle area is billion times more English than your can-us language you're mistaking for english:sarcasm::help: No offense here, but as a person who had been living in different areas of UK for 2 years it freaks me out when over the pond buddies try to downgrade original English spelling & pronounciation

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
But the hockey is great
Imagine if somebody new to the sport was watching the olympic final or Stanley Cup game 7 with those same announcers: it doesn't matter how good the game itself is :laugh:

Since the live matches are blocked in almost all actual hockey countries, they must be directed to people who are not that familiar with the sport in the first place. Announcers like that can't be exactly giving the best and most exciting image of the sport. And for fans who already know hockey it's just cringeworthy.

The problem definitely isn't their accent, or maybe it is a bit funny to hear British voice in a hockey game, but the problem is that clearly they have no idea about the game or at least are not experienced enough as announcers to communicate it the right way. I couldn't care less about their accents or non-native English if they just showed some real excitement and enthusiasm.

IIHF must be really cheapskate if they really can't find more bearable announcers.

Last edited:

masa2009

May 11, 2011
Actually you've beaten me in it. It IS British announcer and oh my...all these crap coming from NA posters here about non-native English commentators, even the freakiest Jordie accent of Northern England Newcastle area is billion times more English than your can-us language you're mistaking for english:sarcasm::help: No offense here, but as a person who had been living in different areas of UK for 2 years it freaks me out when over the pond buddies try to downgrade original English spelling & pronounciation

The Canada-Denmark guy who does several of the Stockholm games may be from the British isles, although some of his sentences sound unnatural in the context of hockey commentary. He may be a UK expat, or a Swede who has lived in the UK for a while. His English is acceptable but other than dropping a few general stats and player names his calls are very vague. He sounds like some English-speaking hockey fan they found by chance in Sweden and converted into an announcer. He at least tries but doesn't sound like an English language career announcer.

In Helsinki however, many games are obviously called by someone who is NOT from an English speaking country, has a thick Nordic accent and whose elocution in English is not good enough to keep up with the pace of a hockey game.
"Oh and the counter attack! Oh, and the score! Yes it's the score! Here is is!"

BTW, there are quite a few people here (including me) who are not North American or even native English speakers and find it awkward.
If it was the Division III in Greece or something, I'd cut them some slack, but for the top division with a multi million budget...

Schalkenullvier*

I too thought (from the highlights) that the canada-denmark play by play was pretty good. He does use more of a football lingo than we're used to, but I don't mind it.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Man, it looks like no matter how many goals are scored in a game, how many great chances and saves there are, they make it no longer than two minutes...What's up with this stupidity?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad