VIDEO - Bruins vs Soviet Red Army - January 8, 1976

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I watched some vintage games from the early 80s on nhl network this week as well. For their time it was probably great. To me it looked like beer league. A few guys who can go and a bunch of others who can't skate that well...maybe not even backwards. The shots in those days were pretty awful save for a few (compared to today). It's not even close IMO. Skill is off the charts today vs what that video showed.

Dangerous words. Follow that logic and you might conclude Bobby Orr wouldn't automatically win the Norris every season in today's NHL...

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
Tretiak left such an impression on Montreal, they actually drafted him. Serge Savard went to Moscow 4 times to try to convince the soviets to let the aging superstar come to Montreal but they eventually vetoed it citing his military rank as the reason (he was a lieutenant colonel).
That was around 1984...I guess Montreal found another goalie not too long after that.

You are correct with Montreal chasing Tretiak and I just want to add that I had the opportunity to meet Tretiak at an Eaton Store downtown Montreal as he a few others Paul Henderson and Esposito were signing hockey memorabilia and such.
I really cannot recall the time period but I do recall talking to them for a very brief moment.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Dangerous words. Follow that logic and you might conclude Bobby Orr wouldn't automatically win the Norris every season in today's NHL...

He may not. The league has much more talent than it did back then. It's just the facts. Orr would be great in any era but many guys who were 15-20 goal guys in the 70s-80s don't have near the skill of today's fourth liners. Players are simply bigger, faster and more talented. Watch any game and it's easy to see how much time and space players had the. Vs today.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I bet you could make a great movie on the Life & Times of Craig Neinhuis. What current actress can play Katarina Witt.

Seeing the miscasted Bill Delargo reminds me Harry was at his bombastic best

I'm in lodge 7 row 1 above the corner clock and took some Polaroids during warmups I still have.

I get to see myself in some of these old videos and I can see why I was carded into my mid 30's. Wish I could time travel - I miss the old Garden Just not the smoke. Love those $2 beers

Wow. Bill freakin Derlago. If I remember correctly, Tom Fergus wanted out of Boston, but Bill Derlago?

Derlago averaged 30 goals the previous 5 seasons in Toronto and then comes to Boston and goes splattttttttttttt. Great moustache though.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Feel badly for some of our younger fans here who never got to experience that barn...wasn`t pretty but man was it an experience to watch a game in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad