VIDEO - Bruins vs Soviet Red Army - January 8, 1976

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This video is a wonderful snapshot of what the Garden was like 40 years ago.

It starts with PA announcer Weldon Haire introducing the teams and then it has the only video I have ever seen of John Kiley at the keyboard. The US anthem was sung by a woman who I believe was Rene's girlfriend at the time and they would alternate games.

BTW notice how the crowd booed Don Cherry.

The game itself....Red Army was the best team on the planet back then.

Enjoy

Part II

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
In the first period alone, I think Cashman did 5 things that would be suspension worthy in today's NHL.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Still was an all star team vs a regular hockey team.

Those Russians were great though. I remember one later where the Dynamo came thru with the Red Arny IIRC

Moscow Central Red Army was pretty much the 'national' team. They trained together 50 weeks a year.

Herb Brooks knew the ONLY way the US could beat them in 1980 was to train the same way.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site

The Montreal Canadiens absolutely dominated the Red Army team on New Year's Eve during this same tour, though the game ended 3-3 because Tretiak played well, and Dryden was awkward.
There is no way the Red Army team was better than that Canadiens team.

PS, look at the size of Tretiak and Gilbert's equipment -- it is tiny compared to goalies today...that's the way it is supposed to be.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Montreal Canadiens absolutely dominated the Red Army team on New Year's Eve during this same tour, though the game ended 3-3 because Tretiak played well, and Dryden was awkward.

PS, look at the size of Tretiak and Gilbert's equipment -- it is tiny compared to goalies today...that's the way it is supposed to be.

Montreal had the best coach on the planet back then.

I could not agree more on goalie equipment.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto

I've heard many say that was one of, if not the, best games ever played. I was born in '79 so that was before my time. I have watched the game but nowadays everybody is bigger, faster, and stronger so it's hard to compare eras when I didn't "know" the hockey back then.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
I've heard many say that was one of, if not the, best games ever played. I was born in '79 so that was before my time. I have watched the game but nowadays everybody is bigger, faster, and stronger so it's hard to compare eras when I didn't "know" the hockey back then.

I wanted the Red Army team to beat the scabs so badly and I knew at the time the Dryden had difficulties playing against the Russians in general was being hopeful they would.
However, the Habs performed superbly and Trek's play in nets was formidable and kept the game closer than it should have been.
Dryden did not perform to his usual self and this was all the Russians needed and pounced on their opportunities to score three times.
Dryden admitted this later after his early retirement that he had trouble goal tending against the Russians in 1972 and other games where he had an extremely hard time figuring the Russians out on the ice and their hockey play.

As much as i hate and despise to admit this, that Scabs team coached by Scotty B was a much better team the the Russian one in 1979.

Nevertheless, it ended in a draw and the Scabs put on a real hockey display from start to end but Tretiak's performance in goal was the major difference this ended as 3-3.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4FRgtr2jig

Courtnall-Pederson-Middleton
Burridge-Derlago-Crowder
Neinhuis-Kasper-Pasin
Reid-XXXXX-Miller

Bourque-Blum
Curran-Thelven
Kluzak-Thelin

Keans
I bet you could make a great movie on the Life & Times of Craig Neinhuis. What current actress can play Katarina Witt.

Seeing the miscasted Bill Delargo reminds me Harry was at his bombastic best

I'm in lodge 7 row 1 above the corner clock and took some Polaroids during warmups I still have.

I get to see myself in some of these old videos and I can see why I was carded into my mid 30's. Wish I could time travel - I miss the old Garden Just not the smoke. Love those $2 beers

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I bet you could make a great movie on the Life & Times of Craig Neinhuis. What current actress can play Katarina Witt.

Seeing the miscasted Bill Delargo reminds me Harry was at his bombastic best

I'm in lodge 7 row 1 above the corner clock and took some Polaroids during warmups I still have.

I get to see myself in some of these old videos and I can see why I was carded into my mid 30's. Wish I could time travel - I miss the old Garden Just not the smoke. Love those $2 beers

One night at Forum de Montreal I saw a sign bière importée - imported beer $1.50 so I thought I would splurge

It was Schlitz :cry:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Watching these old clips I find myself amazed how much the speed, physicality and overall talent has come in 40 years.

The clutching and grabbing was just brutal.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
AWESOME STUFF THIS IS GREAT THANKS FENWAY!

Why is Espo commenting and not playing for the Rangers?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Watching these old clips I find myself amazed how much the speed, physicality and overall talent has come in 40 years.

The clutching and grabbing was just brutal.

I see it another way the modern game is more boring due to skill being easily neutralized due to the advancements and thus DE-emphasized and more like college hockey with the full cages.

Going no helmet would be the best way to bring more skill back into the game but obviously that isn't gonna happen. Hockey these days is pretty damned boring good games are rarities and watching anything non Bruins on TV is tough for me (gonna try and see more Providence College games live since the Natty has gotten me pumped to go to their games after watching the Championship game in person with the Frozen Four held Boston awwwww man that was awesome that epic winner take all game for all the marbles and no lame best of 7.)

Shame on the Devils and Florida Panthers for destroying hockey too the Vancouver-NYR 94 series was on the other day and reminded me of the sport I fell in love with at a very young age the quality of the product really did go in the crapper after them winning in 95.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
I see it another way the modern game is more boring due to skill being easily neutralized due to the advancements and thus DE-emphasized and more like college hockey with the full cages.

Going no helmet would be the best way to bring more skill back into the game but obviously that isn't gonna happen. Hockey these days is pretty damned boring good games are rarities and watching anything non Bruins on TV is tough for me (gonna try and see more Providence College games live since the Natty has gotten me pumped to go to their games after watching the Championship game in person with the Frozen Four held Boston awwwww man that was awesome that epic winner take all game for all the marbles and no lame best of 7.)

Shame on the Devils and Florida Panthers for destroying hockey too the Vancouver-NYR 94 series was on the other day and reminded me of the sport I fell in love with at a very young age the quality of the product really did go in the crapper after them winning in 95.

I watched some vintage games from the early 80s on nhl network this week as well. For their time it was probably great. To me it looked like beer league. A few guys who can go and a bunch of others who can't skate that well...maybe not even backwards. The shots in those days were pretty awful save for a few (compared to today). It's not even close IMO. Skill is off the charts today vs what that video showed.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I watched some vintage games from the early 80s on nhl network this week as well. For their time it was probably great. To me it looked like beer league. A few guys who can go and a bunch of others who can't skate that well...maybe not even backwards. The shots in those days were pretty awful save for a few (compared to today). It's not even close IMO. Skill is off the charts today vs what that video showed.

IMO the goaltending today is light years better too, and not just because of the equipment either.

I'll contend that the 15th best goalie today would be a Vezina finalist in 1985.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
This video is a wonderful snapshot of what the Garden was like 40 years ago.

It starts with PA announcer Weldon Haire introducing the teams and then it has the only video I have ever seen of John Kiley at the keyboard. The US anthem was sung by a woman who I believe was Rene's girlfriend at the time and they would alternate games.

BTW notice how the crowd booed Don Cherry.

Enjoy

Thanks, this was awesome, I remember this game.

The Flyers literally sent them home crying before they were told they would not get paid if they didn't finish they game. Speed and skill tied them in Montreal and the Flyers pounded them into dust and beat them.

Watch the Broad St. Bullies documentary by HBO, Flyer players are still upset at the hypocrisy of Campbell and the NHL who hated them and did everything they could to outlaw how they played, but on that night the Flyers were the NHL's last hope to save face and beat the Red Army. The Dynamo had lost to Buffalo but no one had beaten the Red Army.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I wanted the Red Army team to beat the scabs so badly and I knew at the time the Dryden had difficulties playing against the Russians in general was being hopeful they would.
However, the Habs performed superbly and Trek's play in nets was formidable and kept the game closer than it should have been.
Dryden did not perform to his usual self and this was all the Russians needed and pounced on their opportunities to score three times.
Dryden admitted this later after his early retirement that he had trouble goal tending against the Russians in 1972 and other games where he had an extremely hard time figuring the Russians out on the ice and their hockey play.

As much as i hate and despise to admit this, that Scabs team coached by Scotty B was a much better team the the Russian one in 1979.

Nevertheless, it ended in a draw and the Scabs put on a real hockey display from start to end but Tretiak's performance in goal was the major difference this ended as 3-3.
Tretiak left such an impression on Montreal, they actually drafted him. Serge Savard went to Moscow 4 times to try to convince the soviets to let the aging superstar come to Montreal but they eventually vetoed it citing his military rank as the reason (he was a lieutenant colonel).
That was around 1984...I guess Montreal found another goalie not too long after that.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Thanks, this was awesome, I remember this game.

The Flyers literally sent them home crying before they were told they would not get paid if they didn't finish they game. Speed and skill tied them in Montreal and the Flyers pounded them into dust and beat them.

Watch the Broad St. Bullies documentary by HBO, Flyer players are still upset at the hypocrisy of Campbell and the NHL who hated them and did everything they could to outlaw how they played, but on that night the Flyers were the NHL's last hope to save face and beat the Red Army. The Dynamo had lost to Buffalo but no one had beaten the Red Army.

The flyers made the NHL look like idiots. What's the point of winning when you make the game a gong show? The 2 flyers cups are a low point in NHL history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad