Management VIDEO: Bruins Introduce Jim Montgomery As Head Coach

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
There is definitely that element of seats filled, beer flowing and not to defend Sweeney and Co but can anyone here tell me what the Pens succession plan is for Sid leaving? Do they have a viable 1C candidate? Hell, I`d argue they have no plan for post Gino life either or they likely wouldn`t have re-signed him

How bout the Caps, plan for life post Ovi? Backstrom likely done or close to it, any plan as far as internal readiness of a prospect?

You simply can`t have a legit plan B for superstar players, now, can or could the B`s have drafted better? Looking at the Pens history, not a ton of names here playing meaningful minutes since say 2015

Here`s the Caps , not a ton of minutes being played by these picks since 2015 draft

Bruins

Since 2015, Carlo, Jake, McAvoy, Sway, Studs to a lesser degree all have played meaningful minutes with the team and I`d argue that the last few drafts by the B`s might produce some solid prospects

The B`s don`t own the market on poor drafts but in regards to succession plans, there simply isn`t a team out there who has one for superstar players who are nearing the end that I can think of
Yep.

File it under "hanging on for dear life" because there are potentially dark days ahead for all.

There was a reason the Pens and Caps were in position to draft Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc.
B's to an extent finishing as bottom dwellers following the lockout.
There's definitely a cyclical nature to the league in a cap-world.

Question is, can Sweeney somehow work some magic to bring in some talent down the middle to compliment the pieces they have in net, on defense, and possibly on the wing if Pastrnak stays?

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Yep.

File it under "hanging on for dear life" because there are potentially dark days ahead for all.

Question is, can Sweeney somehow work some magic to bring in some talent down the middle to compliment the pieces they have in net, on defense, and possibly on the wing if Pastrnak stays?
Highly doubtful based on his body of work until now... unless he adapts before the trade deadline and sell in order to pile up picks/prospects for 2023 Draft. Can he do it... maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it. On the other hand, maybe he'll be forced to it due to the team not in position to make Playoffs.

Reactions: Gordoff

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yep.

There was a reason the Pens and Caps were in position to draft Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc.
B's to an extent finishing as bottom dwellers following the lockout.
There's definitely a cyclical nature to the league in a cap-world.

Can`t answer that question, it "appears" as though the drafting has been stronger in recent years, the team hasn`t reaped rewards from it yet as teams who typically pick where the B`s have let`s say over the last 4 years, this year, don`t see a kid make a splash in quick fashion. I am really intrigued with Lohrei, I have zero reason for this but Beecher excites me, I think under the right coaching and development team, we can see him excel, not be a 40 goal guy but a real nice player. Lysell is gonna be super fun to watch, I was spoiled seeing him live a bunch this year

I also don`t necessarily disagree with what Neely and Jacobs say when they said a total rebuild wouldn`t go over well with fans here, this board alone would erupt if they did what the Hawks were/are doing right now

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I also don`t necessarily disagree with what Neely and Jacobs say when they said a total rebuild wouldn`t go over well with fans here, this board alone would erupt if they did what the Hawks were/are doing right now
I live/work amongst a lot of Chicago fans. Their fanbase is not happy right now even though it's a clear tear-it-to-the-studs rebuild. They feel like the team got way too little in return for DeBrincat (an expiring deal who will be an arb-eligible RFA in 2023, then possibly a UFA in 2024). I don't think this board would take it well.

The Bruins have had bad teams before - the Kasper years, the two years after the lockout - but they weren't *intentionally* bad. The two years after the lockout were acknowledge as a misread of what the post-lockout, salary-cap era trend would be like. Management expected a slew of FAs to be available that weren't ... and the rebuild was partially through the draft (they turned the bad 2005-06 season into Kessel, Lucic & Marchand, although the latter two came after the first round, but the Lewis year yielded Zach Hamill, Tommy Cross and nobody until Round 5), but mostly through free agency (Savard, Chara, et al). Players like Krejci & Bergeron didn't come through tanking or those bad seasons, but through smart drafting after Round 1.

The mid-1990s teams, culminating with the Kasper year, were the combination of years of bad drafts, some bad trades (Juneau-for-Iafrate, Moog-for-Casey) and Harry's unwillingness/inability to adjust to the dollars being thrown around in free agency.

The NHL is going to be cyclical, but it's difficult to flip the switch from bad team to good team unless you hit on a few depth draft picks and free agents. The Bruins did that 15-20 years ago. The Sabres, well, haven't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook and Gordoff

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I agree with you @PlayMakers for the most part but i dont see Carlo.
I expect a resurgence of Carlo under Montgomery. This is pure speculation based off what I saw but Carlo seemed to be in the dog house quite a bit. He regressed over the past couple years of Cassidy and because of that I think it’s all mental mistakes with him.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I live/work amongst a lot of Chicago fans. Their fanbase is not happy right now even though it's a clear tear-it-to-the-studs rebuild. They feel like the team got way too little in return for DeBrincat (an expiring deal who will be an arb-eligible RFA in 2023, then possibly a UFA in 2024). I don't think this board would take it well.

The Bruins have had bad teams before - the Kasper years, the two years after the lockout - but they weren't *intentionally* bad. The two years after the lockout were acknowledge as a misread of what the post-lockout, salary-cap era trend would be like. Management expected a slew of FAs to be available that weren't ... and the rebuild was partially through the draft (they turned the bad 2005-06 season into Kessel, Lucic & Marchand, although the latter two came after the first round, but the Lewis year yielded Zach Hamill, Tommy Cross and nobody until Round 5), but mostly through free agency (Savard, Chara, et al). Players like Krejci & Bergeron didn't come through tanking or those bad seasons, but through smart drafting after Round 1.

The mid-1990s teams, culminating with the Kasper year, were the combination of years of bad drafts, some bad trades (Juneau-for-Iafrate, Moog-for-Casey) and Harry's unwillingness/inability to adjust to the dollars being thrown around in free agency.

The NHL is going to be cyclical, but it's difficult to flip the switch from bad team to good team unless you hit on a few depth draft picks and free agents. The Bruins did that 15-20 years ago. The Sabres, well, haven't.
terrific post

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Montgomery: I wanted my past to be a part of every interview​

Bruins head coach Jim Montgomery on being back in the NHL as a head coach, on people reaching out to him for help, interview process, planning for next season and the Senators off-season.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Montgomery: I wanted my past to be a part of every interview​

Bruins head coach Jim Montgomery on being back in the NHL as a head coach, on people reaching out to him for help, interview process, planning for next season and the Senators off-season.
great piece, love reading about someone who takes accountability for his/her/their actions, had to do so myself. No clue if he is a regular attendee of AA meetings or has one on one counselling but there is always help out there and if he does go to meetings, there are some beauties in Boston as I have experienced first hand when visiting that great city

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad