Confirmed with Link: Victor Rask @ 50% (Wild) to Kraken for future considerations

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I mean… is it just to fill out the roster in Charlotte because he’s expensive as f***. Should have gotten at least a 7th for the money MN saves alone.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I am guessing there is some side deal done in the off-season or something. This is nothing but a favor for the Wild considering he was buried on their AHL team.

I mean, there is a small chance he gets called up but no real reason to make this trade.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
we got an extra body in the AHL and someone to see in next pre-season camp. We gave up literally nothing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I mean… is it just to fill out the roster in Charlotte because he’s expensive as f***. Should have gotten at least a 7th for the money MN saves alone.
I bet he gets called up, even if it's as an extra. He has NHL experience.

$2M after retention, so ~$500k of real money. Should've asked for that 7th rounder for sure.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Because he’s an AHL player. Unless Francis think he can sign Rask at a minimum deal next year.

like i said we'll see what he does for us and camp and we can either sign him or let him walk. We still need to fill a AHL roster of players.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Future considerations is the key to what this is about and whether or not it is worth it.
Future considerations equal nothing 19 out of 20 times.

This is just two GMs doing a veteran a solid and giving him a chance to play NHL games before the offseason.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Keep an eye on the AHL transaction page. Sometimes there's an AHL trade to accompany these future considerations trades. Someone (besides Rask) may be going between Charlotte and Iowa in the next day or so.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Future considerations equal nothing 19 out of 20 times.

This is just two GMs doing a veteran a solid and giving him a chance to play NHL games before the offseason.
This is how I see this as but this is an expensive favor. Generally I would expect a pick/prospect going our way too. We had True and McCormick who have already seems NHL games this season and could be called up if required. My guess is that either Francis really likes him and hopes to re-sign him on the cheap OR he is just doing the Wild a favor. A very expensive favor.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I expect Rask gets recalled.

The move is a bit puzzling, but while Rask isn't great, he is a legitimate NHL player, He's mostly in the AHL due to his contract. If he were cheaper, he'd likely be their 13/14th forward.

@50%, he isn't too expensive for the last 19 games, and the team could use an extra body. Plus, extending a little bit of good will to Guerin may work out in Seattle's favor in the future :naughty:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

The move is a bit puzzling, but while Rask isn't great, he is a legitimate NHL player, He's mostly in the AHL due to his contract. If he were cheaper, he'd likely be their 13/14th forward.

@50%, he isn't too expensive for the last 19 games, and the team could use an extra body. Plus, extending a little bit of good will to Guerin may work out in Seattle's favor in the future :naughty:
Excellent points. I definitely set my expectations too high with regard to the Rask trade. With it being an expiring contract, I suppose he’s a warm body that might actually score some goals. His season wasn’t atrocious before being sent down, which begs the question… why was he? Hopefully we don’t find out and he plays well enough to make sense.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
like i said we'll see what he does for us and camp and we can either sign him or let him walk. We still need to fill a AHL roster of players.
As a UFA he won't be in camp unless they sign him. Unless you meant the end of this season we can give him a trial period to see if he is worth signing.

If that is the plan, I have to say that a Victor Rask move is not exactly what I had envisioned when Francis said "big changes" are coming sooner rather than later.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Oh absolutely. This is a no risk move for us. Expensive, but no real risk involved. We have the cap space and the worst case is that Rask is not good when called up. If things work out, we re-sign him for cheap. If not, we move on at the end of the season.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Excellent points. I definitely set my expectations too high with regard to the Rask trade. With it being an expiring contract, I suppose he’s a warm body that might actually score some goals. His season wasn’t atrocious before being sent down, which begs the question… why was he? Hopefully we don’t find out and he plays well enough to make sense.
I think it is just a numbers game in Minny. With the emergence of the Foligno/Eriksson Ek/Greenway line being such a dominant 3rd line, and Rask losing his spot in the top 6, it probably made more sense for a cap strapped team to save cap and play him in the AHL than have him playing a role he isn't great at on the 4th line or as the 13/14th forward.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Just some stats. Seems like a fairly serviceable player who is good defensively but does not chip in as much on offense.

1647907846192.png

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Minnesota is stocked up on try hard, defensive bottom 6 guys. Rask is not that.

Hartman somehow clicked with Kaprizov and Zuccerello, and Gaudreau is the defensively responsible 3rd wheel with Fiala and Boldy(who need it, mostly due to Fiala).

Just wasn't really a fit anymore once Hartman clicked with Kaprizov.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Rask is a huge upgrade over Sheahan. His skating has always been an issue so need to see if it still holding him back. This seems like a tryout to see if he's worth signing to be the 4C next year. Better defensively and offensively than Sheahan. With Appleton gone maybe Geekie goes to the wing. Tanev - Rask - Geekie seems a decent 4th line, nice mix of offense and defense. Just not sure Tanev speed would work well with the other two.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Rask is a huge upgrade over Sheahan. His skating has always been an issue so need to see if it still holding him back. This seems like a tryout to see if he's worth signing to be the 4C next year. Better defensively and offensively than Sheahan. With Appleton gone maybe Geekie goes to the wing. Tanev - Rask - Geekie seems a decent 4th line, nice mix of offense and defense. Just not sure Tanev speed would work well with the other two.
I have crapped on Sheahan all season long for his lack of offensive awareness but he has actually not been that bad. He has been very decent in the 4th line role. Excellent defensively. If Rask is better, that is definitely good. Picking a player with slow skating surprises me though because this team seems to do better when their forwards are aggressive on the forecheck. Slow skating will limit that.

Also, I don't know about putting Tanev on the 4th line. He is likely to play on the 3rd line or even paired up with Gourde. Before Blackwell-Gourde were a thing Tanev-Gourde were doing the exact same thing. Expect that to happen next season. Blackwell is gone and Tanev should be back healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00