Player Discussion Victor Mete (D) - Claimed off waivers from Montreal

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I hope they take the 2 year option. Mete was a productive player on the Sens and would be a valuable asset at such a low salary if we decided to move on from him in the offseason.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I hope they take the 2 year option. Mete was a productive player on the Sens and would be a valuable asset at such a low salary if we decided to move on from him in the offseason.

Two years means he has to be around when Sandy, LT, JBD are looking to earn spots …

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Mete is an importance piece. Need to sign him for 2 years. If Sanderson or JBD develop faster then move him in year 2.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Mete is an importance piece. Need to sign him for 2 years. If Sanderson or JBD develop faster then move him in year 2.
He’s the furthest thing from an important piece, replace him with any of the dozen guys that are places on the waiver wire at the start of the season and the Sens are in no different situation. He’ll be battling for playing time on one of the worst current D in the league.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would only sign Mete for one yr as a 7th D & insurance, but they could just as easily decide not to re-sign him & that would be fine too, he's the only D left unsigned. They have MDZ for 2 yrs & Holden & J. Brown already signed for this yr, although a lot could depend on how those three play & if they are still decent NHL players. I expect that over the next 2 seasons they should have Sanderson, LT, JBD & Kleven challenging for roster spots & Mete, Holden & J. Brown are all UFAs who could all be dealt by the TDL. Should be interesting what happens with this defence over the course of next season.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would only sign Mete for one yr as a 7th D & insurance, but they could just as easily decide not to re-sign him & that would be fine too. They have MDZ for 2 yrs & Holden & J. Brown already signed for this yr, although a lot could depend on how those three play & if they are still decent NHL players. I expect that over the next 2 seasons they should have Sanderson, LT, JBD & Kleven challenging for roster spots & Mete, Holden & J. Brown are all UFAs who could all be dealt by the TDL. Should be interesting what happens with this defence over the course of next season.

I think Mete is looking for a 1 way.. I am sure he's take close to league minimum but he wants a 1 way

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Mete is looking for a 1 way.. I am sure he's take close to league minimum but he wants a 1 way

That would be fine as a 7th D. We have to expect injuries to defencemen & he could step in whenever needed for short periods of time & they could always waive him if they don't want him any more. If they sign him to one yr they could move him at the TDL too if there is any interest for a player like him in the playoffs. They have six D ahead of him IMO & both Brannstrom & JBD could end up in Belleville given they are both waiver exempt.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
By the way, what’s Mete’s value on the trade market?

Zippo … nobody needs an undersized dman who’s only value is skating the puck out of his zone. He can’t run a PP so it forces a team to have another (potentially slight) PP option and lowers the overall team D.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To be fair, Reilly was on the verge of getting waived when we picked him up and he returned a 3rd and signed a nice extension (for him, idk that the Bruins get value out of it).

Mete could potentially pull off something similar if we pump and dump him, but going into the start of the season, likely little to nothing as teams won't likely be scrambling to fill an spot due to injury and he hasn't played enough to establish himself as better than the bottom pair options every team has

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

900k per season.

Thats a cheap deal for Stanley. See no reason why Mete wouldn't be around that number.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Hope the one year deal keeps him motivated and allow him to play as well as he did.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I may be in the minority but I love what he added to our team; was advocating for him in February and we ended up getting him for free. Him and Zaitsev were very effective and he played key role on our PK; as playing around 23 mins a night, more than Brann last bunch of games where we looked very effective.

He's undersized, but he's put up very good underlying numbers his entire stay in the NHL. Could maybe even flip him at trade deadline for another pick.

Zero risk with a 1 year 1.2 mil deal for him. Welcome back, Mete.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Dorion did something. So now people can stop complaining at the lack of moves, right?

Right?

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad