Player Discussion Victor Mete (D) - Claimed off waivers from Montreal

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think Mete might be a short term guy, and Bran will get time to prove he can be a long term guy. We won’t roll long term with both.

We LOVE that net front cross check dontchaknow ;)

Reactions: Icelevel and Cosmix

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Our LD is so crowded with #5-6 D already. Not saying we shouldn't sign him, just that I'm more emotionally invested in seeing us sign Brady and Bathy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Cheap Offer. No wonder Mete filed. To me Mete has proven he is a NHL Dman.. he may be a 6th or 7th but he can play. He has close to 200 NHL games. Not sure what arbitration will do for him though. I just think he's better than that offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Wood

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

Cheap Offer. No wonder Mete filed. To me Mete has proven he is a NHL Dman.. he may be a 6th or 7th but he can play. He has close to 200 NHL games. Not sure what arbitration will do for him though. I just think he's better than that offer.

The qualifying offer is automatic based on previous contract, if we didn’t do it he would be a UFA. It’s not a cheap offer it’s just a check mark before they do a real negotiation.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
No biggie, can't see this getting sour with how small of a contract he'll recieve in the end. But curious how much leverage one has after being waived near the end of the year

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
My guess is that they come to an agreement and avoid the nasty stuff.

2 years one way deal at 1.75 million a season.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Mete is not in a great spot for arbitration. Arbitration mostly helps scoring forwards coming off good seasons.

Hes morr of a defensive guy with limited minutes coming off a season where he went on waivers.

No one is going to waste a draft pick on him for an offersheet and if the Sens lowball him with 800K offers, arbitration is pretty much his only hope.

He does have SOMe leverage if he offers himself up for avtwo year and they want him longterm, but thats about it

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Low character because he filed for arbitration???? Are all players who file for arbitration low character or just Mete?

Probably all of them, but particularly Mete.

Melnyk and Dorion picked him up off the scrap heap and saved his career a few months back. And how does he repay them? By filing for arbitration.

Can't have that attitude spreading in the locker room. Very insidious. Could be a bad influence on Tkachuk or Stutzle.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Probably all of them, but particularly Mete.

Melnyk and Dorion picked him up off the scrap heap and saved his career a few months back. And how does he repay them? By filing for arbitration.

Can't have that attitude spreading in the locker room. Very insidious. Could be a bad influence on Tkachuk or Stutzle.

Did you forget the :sarcasm:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Unless by some miracle he gets awarded more than $4.5 million (or something like that). In the case of Mete, the team also gets to decide if it's a 1 or 2 year deal based on the arbitrator's salary ruling.
Yeah I was operating under the assumption that he’s get ~1.25 million

I’d assume we get a 1.5ish 1 year deal if they can’t reach a contract prior, which I believe they will

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->