Player Discussion: Victor Hedman - Part 2: Norris God and Norse God

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We won the cup with an injured Hedman who was nowhere near his best, so that's positive sign for the 3 peat.

The RS is going to be a drag and we just need to get out of it injury free. Seeding honestly doesn't matter for shit now after seeing that last season, I think we'll take any matchup anywhere at this point, start pulling guys out of the lineup weeks in advance please.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Hedman, Zibanejad, and Landeskog named to Sweden’s Olympic team today

google translated:
Already in September, the Olympic nations have selected three players as a basis for the preliminary squad. The final squad will be taken out in January.

Canada has reported that Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid and Alex Pietrangelo have been selected in the Olympic squad, according to NHL.com.

This is for the organizer to be able to market the championship and to drive up interest before the Olympics.

Tre Kronor and the management with national team captain Johan Garpenlöv in the lead have also selected three players for a first preliminary squad.

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
We won the cup with an injured Hedman who was nowhere near his best, so that's positive sign for the 3 peat.

The RS is going to be a drag and we just need to get out of it injury free. Seeding honestly doesn't matter for shit now after seeing that last season, I think we'll take any matchup anywhere at this point, start pulling guys out of the lineup weeks in advance please.
healthy Hedman and Vasi make the difference. Kuch got pretty banged up along the way, same with point and our depth made up for it. But healthy Hedman and Vasi win us games and series.

2020 Hedman was a monster and unstoppable. 2021 Vasi was a monster and unstoppable. Add in playoff Point and oh boy!

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Do not start him the next two preseason games. The Cheapshot Kittens might slew foot him.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

This is kinda why I thought it was silly seeing how many predictions a few weeks ago in the Atlantic Division thread were putting us #1. I'd be shocked if the Lightning won the division this year. That'll either be Florida or Toronto if I had to take a guess. This team has far bigger fish to fry and part of doing that is getting through the regular season with gas still in the tank. Between that and Cup hangover in general (how do you "get up" for early season games against lousy teams when you've just won back-to-back Cups?), I would hardly be surprised if this team is sitting in the fringes of playoff position come January 1, and then eventually starts revving things up from there. But winning the division is extremely unlikely in my expectation.

Reactions: Hoek

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
While defensively he’s had his troubles this season, Hedman is a point per game through 22 games without the easy secondary assist to Kuch and Point. Pretty impressive!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek and Peacefool

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Fox and Makar hype too strong

It's not hype, it's actual stiff competition. I'm glad you can't just win a Norris based on reputation anymore, if Hedman wants another one he needs to be more consistent. He's turned it around the last 2-3 weeks but Fox has been doing this since the start of the year. If it was voted on today Fox would win again.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
It's not hype, it's actual stiff competition. I'm glad you can't just win a Norris based on reputation anymore, if Hedman wants another one he needs to be more consistent. He's turned it around the last 2-3 weeks but Fox has been doing this since the start of the year. If it was voted on today Fox would win again.
Hedman has never won a norris on reputation if you just noticed.

Hedman has been stellar for years and only won one.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hedman has never won a norris on reputation if you just noticed.

Hedman has been stellar for years and only won one.

I'm saying it was primed for him to win it last year on "reputation" I'm glad it didn't go that route and gave it to the actual best defenseman of the season.

Hedman has only missed out on 1 Norris which was 2017, largely in part because Tampa didn't make the playoffs but he was a better defenseman than Burns that season with much less support. You're talking like he got snubbed multiple times, it's hard to win a Norris because typically "Norris" defensman all have similar peaks. Hedman is one of the best because he consistently plays around that level but not always at the "best" yearly.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
I'm saying it was primed for him to win it last year on "reputation" I'm glad it didn't go that route and gave it to the actual best defenseman of the season.

Hedman has only missed out on 1 Norris which was 2017, largely in part because Tampa didn't make the playoffs but he was a better defenseman than Burns that season with much less support. You're talking like he got snubbed multiple times, it's hard to win a Norris because typically "Norris" defensman all have similar peaks. Hedman is one of the best because he consistently plays around that level but not always at the "best" yearly.
Fox won one without making playoffs. It was ridicilous when hedman and karlsson was always disqualified for same thing.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not sure what you mean. Nothing has changed. My point is that fox is overrated, north american bias.

Lol Fox's workload is much more than Hedman's while producing just as much, there's not a tangible argument for Hedman other than reputation right now. There's no bias, weird to throw that around when if anything it'd favor Hedman like the other Swedish defenseman who has 8 Norris wins but don't let that stop you from your agenda.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Hedman is amazing if you ask me but this didn't went very well. :sarcasm: People are still underestimating Hedman and it's truly confusing.
Hedman or Lidstrom at their peak?

Seriously, if only having to pick one star defense player for your team if being a coach. I can't find a better choice than Hedman.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad