Player Discussion: Victor Hedman - Part 2: Norris God and Norse God

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
Is Hedman hurt? He looked real slow getting back on some of those breakaways. Like slower than Bogo or other plugs, not relative slow for Heddy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's been better offensively but lets be honest, pretty much everyone who mans the point on a PP with Kuch is going to get points.
Sure, but, just a guess, he's getting a solid amount of 5v5 points for a defenseman too. The offense seems to be there, IMO.

More worried about Sergachev this year. He doesnt seem to have much of anything right now.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Is Hedman hurt? He looked real slow getting back on some of those breakaways. Like slower than Bogo or other plugs, not relative slow for Heddy.
Hedman is hurt, in more of a past tense sense. Previous injuries make me believe he’s just not ever going to be as agile and fast as he used to be. Can he adapt his play style to still be a decent defenseman? we’ll see. but he is still putting up points, which is good.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hedman is hurt, in more of a past tense sense. Previous injuries make me believe he’s just not ever going to be as agile and fast as he used to be. Can he adapt his play style to still be a decent defenseman? we’ll see. but he is still putting up points, which is good.
Probably accurate. Guys his size tend to not keep their speed as long as he already had.

He still skates well, but I don't think hes the fastest big man in the game anymore.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Heddy getting real close to hitting top 30 in points for a dmen in NHL history.

30. Reed Larson904 games played685 points
31. Zdeno Chara1,680 games played680 points
32. Kevin Hatcher1,157 games played677 points
33. Victor Hedman998 games played676 points

Only 2 games away from the 1000 plateau too

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL

In Their Own Words: Olle Hedman​

Victor Hedman's father pens a letter to his son on the day of his 1,000th NHL game

By Olle Hedman

TampaBayLightning.com

Victor,

Where did the time go?

It feels like just yesterday you were three years old, and I was lacing up your skates for the very first time. Now, you’re lacing them up on your own for the 1,000th time in the NHL.

One thousand games. Your name will forever be on a list with some of the legends of our country – Nicklas, Markus, Borje, Mats, Daniel and Henrik.

As I try to think of the right words to describe this journey, I find it nearly impossible to convey just how proud of you I truly am.

I’m proud of everything you’ve accomplished on the ice.

I’m proud of how you’ve treated everyone along the way.

I’m proud of the son you’ve always been.

I’m proud of the husband and father you’ve become.

I’m proud of the man you are today.

Do you remember all the days at Kempevallen, when you and your teammates would huddle around the door to watch the senior team walk out to the ice? They were superheroes. They were your idols.

Now, that’s you. You’re the one the kids are watching walk onto the ice. You’re the one they’re idolizing. You’re the one they look up to.
All the recognition you’re going to receive tonight, you deserve all of it. Enjoy every single second.

You’ve made your friends, family and country prouder than you ever could have imagined. And you did it all through your dedication. Your work ethic never faltered. You put the team before yourself. Everything you have today, you earned.

Almost 15 years later, I can still hear your name being called from the Bell Centre stage in Montreal.

“The Tampa Bay Lightning are proud to select from MODO and the Swedish Elite League, Victor Hedman.”

I had goosebumps then. I get goosebumps now just thinking about it.

You wanted Tampa. We wanted Tampa. Now, you’ve played more games in Tampa than any defenseman ever. Just think about that.

Only two players have put that jersey on more times than you have. Soon it will only be one.

Do you remember how different things were when you started here? From the day you arrived to today, you and Steven are the only players left. And look at the impact the two of you have had.

For over 300 straight games, every seat in the arena has been accounted for. Tampa has become a hockey town.

Two more Stanley Cup banners are hanging from the rafters. You can’t go anywhere in town without seeing that Lightning bolt. The team has captivated an entire city.

You are a pillar in all of that. But you’d never say that yourself. And that’s just another reason why I’m so proud to be your father.

You have no ego. You think of yourself last. You’re kind. Nobody has a bad word to say about you. You’re a good man. And you’ve made everyone around you so proud.

On the ice, you’re a champion. Your growth as a player has been remarkable to watch. Your explosiveness, the way you see the ice, the way you impact the game – all of it makes me incredibly proud. You’ve done it all.

And with everything you’ve accomplished on the ice, it’s tough to imagine being prouder of you for anything else.

But as I sit here today and write this letter, nothing is more gratifying than seeing the man you’ve become off the ice.

You will never think you’re any better than the person next to you. You treat everyone with respect. Son, you’ve done it all the right way.

You came to this town at 18 years old with the weight of the world on your shoulders. They labeled you “the best Swedish defenseman since Nicklas Lidstrom.”

You took that pressure as a privilege. You embraced it and took it in stride.

Looking back at your career to this point, could this journey have gone any better? Victor, you haven’t just met the expectations. You’ve exceeded them.

You became everything your fans could have wanted and more.

You’ve been consistently active in helping your community become a better place. You’ve used your platform to bring joy to those less fortunate than you.

You’ve proven all there is to prove on the ice. You’re an incredible hockey player – a world-class hockey player.

But beyond that, as a human being, you are as good as they come.

As a boy, you were always kind to everyone. As a man, through all the stardom and recognition, nothing has changed.

You’re a loving husband and father. You’d do anything for the people you care about. As lucky as you are to have Sanna, Rio and Viggo in your life, they are just as fortunate to have you in theirs.

Tonight, I hope you feel the love and appreciation your teammates, the organization and the city have for you.

Victor, I couldn’t be more proud of you. There’s nothing that brings me more joy than being your father.

From floorball in our basement to 1,000 games in the NHL. What a ride it’s been. And you’re not done yet. Keep making us proud like I know you will.

Congratulations, son.

Jag älskar dig,

Dad

Taken directly from the Tampa Bay Lightning official website.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
With the goal last night he passed Börje Salming to become #3 all time Swedish d-man in goals.

1705651945677.png

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Apparently not an All Star though.

I think he's said that he'd appreciate not being selected. By this time in his life and career, spending a few days off with his family is far more attractive than going to the ASG.

Lidstrom skipped it a few times with an 'injury' or just declining to go and was suspended for a game.

Reactions: JoVel

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I think he's said that he'd appreciate not being selected. By this time in his life and career, spending a few days off with his family is far more attractive than going to the ASG.

Lidstrom skipped it a few times with an 'injury' or just declining to go and was suspended for a game.
I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case for every seasoned veteran. During an 82 game regular season, would you rather have a few days' break, or travel somewhere to do a half assed version of your job?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case for every seasoned veteran. During an 82 game regular season, would you rather have a few days' break, or travel somewhere to do a half assed version of your job?
Especially when that place is Toronto. Oh yes Canada in February please that sounds great.

Reactions: Hoek

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He needs to become a Chara-like freak of nature so he can play another 10 years to hit 1000 points.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He would need 5 full seasons at a 60 point average to get 1,000 points. He’d be 38 at the end of it. Not saying it’s impossible but a rather tall order imo.

He had “just” 49 points last season when he missed 6 games and shared PP1 with Serg. Obviously he’s now at 50 points after only 48 games but you’d have to assume that his numbers will go down eventually.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
He would need 5 full seasons at a 60 point average to get 1,000 points. He’d be 38 at the end of it. Not saying it’s impossible but a rather tall order imo.

He had “just” 49 points last season when he missed 6 games and shared PP1 with Serg. Obviously he’s now at 50 points after only 48 games but you’d have to assume that his numbers will go down eventually.
He seems to be back in the groove of things. Have to account for a couple +60 point seasons left in the tank to help. I see no reason for Sergachev to take over the PP duties with the way Hedman has been playing. Hope that doesn't change until he retires either. Lol.

Reactions: Renopucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad