Victor Hedman 70 points

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Found an interesting stat today.

Burns - 82GP - 153 giveaways - 1.87 giveaways per game - 4.50 giveaways per 60
Karlsson - 77GP - 106 giveaways - 1.38 giveaways per game - 3.08 giveaways per 60
Hedman - 79GP - 73 giveaways - 0.92 giveaways per game - 2.26 giveaways per 60

Karlsson had quite a bit more TOI than Hedman or Burns, but Hedman and Burns were within 30 seconds ATOI of each other. If Hedmans actual TOI was adjusted to be equal to Karlsson, he'd still only have 78 giveaways. If his time was adjusted to meet Burns, he'd have 77.

Hedman is much more responsible with the puck while producing at the same level as the other two.

Dang. In previous years, he gave away the puck too much (though still not as much as Doughty lol).

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
Hedman is 116th in the league in takeaways per game with .49 while Karlsson is 24th with .77.

Also,

Karlsson has the puck way more then Hedman as he is their leading scorer by a wide margin. Its easier to have less giveaways when you have Kucherov and Stamkos to rely on.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
I know it's early but Dahlin might be right up there with Karlsson and Hedman.

The three clear best defenceman in the NHL all swedes for the next 10-15 years lol.

Dahlin is an exciting prospect, but remember Adam Larsson was called the best Swedish D-prospect since Lidström, and that was just 2 years after Hedman went 2nd OA.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
You have to be kidding. Lets see Hedman do it 5 years in a row like Erik and be the scoring leader of his team 4 times and be the captain of the team.

He hasnt even been the MVP the last 20 games on his team..

Karlsson completely outperformed him in both the Olympics and World Cup and he is way more valuable to.his team.

Hedman is a monster but he is not close being the player that Erik Karlsson is.

If we want to talk about consistent and skill there is no comparison.

A bit unfair since Hedman was not chosen for the Olympics over stars like Oduya, Tallinder and Ericsson (gg MÃ¥rts), and the World Cup was a glorified All-star exhibition. I do agree that Karlsson has done it for longer and more consistently, but Hedman has been a superstar since the 2015 playoffs. He was having a Norris season last year before he got injured.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Makes me proud to call him a member of my team. Heddy is an absolute beauty to watch every night. For now we need to leave Karlsson out of this. Until Victor puts up a few more of these 70 point seasons the comparisons are not warranted.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Eh... that's not what I remember of their pre-draft hype. Hedman gave Tavares a run for hype-level in their draft year, getting a ton of Pronger comparisons. Didn't exactly fly under the radar.

Larsson was thought of as a sure thing, but I don't think he ever even approached Hedman-hype levels.

Yeah he did. Don't take my word for it

https://www.nhl.com/news/scouts-say-larsson-is-ahead-of-hedman/c-548957

He was the consensus number 1 for a long time and there was quite a bit of surprise that he fell to the Devils

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Agreed. I honestly think Dahlin will be the best of the three.

Why? How much have you seen him play? I've watched quite a few videos and read scouting reports. He seems like a very unique prospect, not just good, but kind of a one of a kind guy with his blend of offense and physicality. I've never seen a full game so just wondering what you've seen to make a huge statement like that?

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Hedman is 116th in the league in takeaways per game with .49 while Karlsson is 24th with .77.

Also,

Karlsson has the puck way more then Hedman as he is their leading scorer by a wide margin. Its easier to have less giveaways when you have Kucherov and Stamkos to rely on.

WTF? Having other players to rely on doesn't​ have anything to do with giveaways. I used actual facts to show something. Saying Karlsson has the puck more because he's a leading scorer means literally nothing and I'm not sure that it's something you can actually back up unless someplace keeps a "puck on stick" stat somewhere.

Stamkos was also injured for a majority of the season, so I'm not sure your post had a point besides "Hey guys, Karlsson!"

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
WTF? Having other players to rely on doesn't​ have anything to do with giveaways. I used actual facts to show something. Saying Karlsson has the puck more because he's a leading scorer means literally nothing and I'm not sure that it's something you can actually back up unless someplace keeps a "puck on stick" stat somewhere.

Stamkos was also injured for a majority of the season, so I'm not sure your post had a point besides "Hey guys, Karlsson!"

You honestly believe that Victor Hedman has the puck on his stick more than Erik Karlsson?

Talk about grasping at straws.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hey guys, a defenseman other than Karlsson is being praised. Someone alert Karlsson fans.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
You honestly believe that Victor Hedman has the puck on his stick more than Erik Karlsson?

Talk about grasping at straws.

Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns are not as responsible with the puck as Victor Hedman is. Period. It's in the stats.

What I'm saying is we can take their TOI, make them all equal and determine where they'd be at in terms of giveaways and Hedman is still incredibly far ahead of both guys. I'd be willing to believe that even if there was some stat to track the time Karlsson has the puck on his stick and I was able to even them all out, it'd still be wildly in favor of Hedman. That's speculation though, because I don't think that's tracked. If it is, I'd be happy to see how it shakes out.

This doesn't have to do with who his teammates are. An individual giving the puck away doesn't depend on Kucherov being on the ice. If Hedman makes a bad pass or tries to stick handle through the neutral zone and loses the puck, it's still a giveaway no matter who's on the ice with him. Grasping at straws is saying someone turns the puck over more because they're a leading scorer. Jeff Petry had the third most giveaways in the league. Has some pretty good players on that team with him, too. I bet if I check, he's going to be MTL's leading....THE HELL YOU SAY? He isn't? Wow.

Karlsson may have the puck on his stick more, and that's fine. If everyone needs to rush to defend his giveaways, that's fine.

I'm not saying Karlsson is bad or Burns is bad or anything. They're not. Karlsson is one of the best in the game. I'm certainly not turning him away over giveaways. Simply pointing out that Hedman is more responsible with the puck when he has it, and that's backed up with hard facts and stats. Period.

Sorry it causes people to get into an uproar.

Last edited:

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
I would not trade Victor Hedman for Erik Karlsson.. honestly believe he is the best D man in the NHL right now.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Im got the alert. Whats the prob? Heds is a beast.

Brofist to you good sir.

Hedman was great this season - especially the latter half. While yes, his scoring was good, some of his other numbers stand out as well.

Solid possession at 53.43% CF. GF% of over 52% as well.

Played some low-event hockey - 50.46 CA/60 (similarly excellent SCA/60 of 6.7).

This is without a steady partner most of the year. He only played with Stralman about a third of the time, his next most common partner was Dotchin, and then a revolving door of 7th defenseman-quality players in Sustr, Nesterov, and Witkowski. His WOWY stats show just how much impact he had on certain players (Stralman with - 55.4 CF%, without - 48.8%, for instance).

He was an absolute monster this season. Some shakiness at the start of the season (although a lot of that was how awful our goaltending was through the first 45 games or so as well), but he has been a rock for us all year. Eight more years of him patrolling our blueline makes me very happy.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Heddy is absolutely amazing! He's definitely one of the top 3 D in the NHL right now and he's just hitting his prime. We are so very fortunate to have this exceptionally talented young man as a cornerstone of our team! He could have cashed in big time with other teams, but decided to sign long term with Tampa.

And his skating - especially for such a BIG man - is just a joy to watch. There was one game where Heddy, while skating SIDEWAYS, was keeping up with one of the fastest forwards in the NHL. :D

He's really coming in to his own now and Tampa couldn't be happier!

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Giveaways are a terrible statistic if anything they show how good a player is with the puck.

Look at the list of players who give away the puck the most and it will be littered with superstars like Crosby, Malkin, Kane.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Giveaways are a terrible statistic if anything they show how good a player is with the puck.

Look at the list of players who give away the puck the most and it will be littered with superstars like Crosby, Malkin, Kane.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh. Sidney Crosby=30th in the league. Malkin=85th (granted he missed a lot of time). Kane=176th.

I understand having the puck more means you have more opportunity to turn it over. More TOI means you have the opportunity to have the puck more and therefore turn it over.

Those numbers don't really correlate to what you say, but hey, whatever works.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Ehhhhhhhhhhhh. Sidney Crosby=30th in the league. Malkin=85th (granted he missed a lot of time). Kane=176th.

I understand having the puck more means you have more opportunity to turn it over. More TOI means you have the opportunity to have the puck more and therefore turn it over.

ehh who cares, the eye test tells you that Hedman is the culprit of some of the worst giveaways in the league, this whole argument on giveaways/takeaways is stupid.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
ehh who cares, the eye test tells you that Hedman is the culprit of some of the worst giveaways in the league, this whole argument on giveaways/takeaways is stupid.

Jesus Christ, it was just something I found interesting and then immediately got BUT KARLSSON.

So many fun people on this forum.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Johnny Gaudreau
Brad Marchand
Joe Pavelski
John Tavares
Logan Couture
Joe Thornton
Sidney Crosby
Vincent Trocheck
Ryan Getzlaf

These are the top 10 forwards in giveaways this year. Are you telling me that these players are bad with the puck?

Looks to me a list of some of the most responsible and best puck handlers.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

I definitely don't disagree with the thought that giveaways (and takeaways) are terrible statistics. I could not tell you how they are counted any given game - there will be one game where it seems like a player (take, for instance, Andrej Sustr) seems to "give away" the puck twenty times, but the stat sheet will say 1 at the end of the night. There will be a game where it seems like Palat is stripping the puck every other shift, and then find out he has 0 takeaways.

They have to be the worst kept stats in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad