Player Discussion Victor Antipin - Sports.Business-gazetta speculates he is going back to KHL

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
One year ELC. He'd by eligible to be a UFA in 2020.

Ullmark has a season in Europe count because he was signed to an NHL contract at the time. Seasons when a player wasn't signed to an NHL contract are irrelevant for expansion draft purposes.

Plus, as Zman points out, Antipin would not actually be under contract until July 1.

Thanks as always for the info!

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
The question is - is that just one nice play to block the shot or is he a good shot suppressor? I'd say they need one of those.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

game from last month, 2 of the top teams in the KHL. Antipin is #9 in white. haven't watched the game yet but did check to see he was playing.

CSKA Ice is 60mx31m, NHL is 61x26*

Last edited:

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012

game from last month, 2 of the top teams in the KHL. Antipin is #9 in white. haven't watched the game yet but did check to see he was playing.

CSKA Ice is 60mx31m, NHL is 61x26*

Watched the first half of the game. Left handed but plays the right side. Plays the high slot on the powerplay. Plays the pk. He actually reminds me of watching Taylor Fedun, about the same size. Likes to skate the puck end to end and jump up into the play. Very quick. Quick hands, very skilled. Good with his stick defensively. Not physical at all.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'd put him closer to Kempny than Zaitsev in how I think they may translate here. Haven't seen him nearly as much as I saw those other two last season (way less KHL watching)... but seen enough to know it's absolutely worth a chance.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
viktor-antipin-of-russia-in-action-against-simon-onerud-of-sweden-picture-id629991480

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/14/report-sabres-add-khl-defenseman/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-whats-delaying-nhls-olympic-decision/

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=47508

Is this a done deal or just a rumor?

certainly couldn't hurt looking to Europe to find a player or two to boast are crappy backend.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
If this actually happens, I have to give props to Murray for finding an out of the box solution to one of our problems here.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Has this rumor cooled off? seeing as Toronto signed another Russian in the mold of San Jose's Donskoi.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Has this rumor cooled off? seeing as Toronto signed another Russian in the mold of San Jose's Donskoi.

nah, Metallurg is still in the playoffs. They start the conference finals on the 24th. Antipin has 5 points in 9 games.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
FInishing up game 1 now... he is extremely offensive minded. I'd like his stick to be down more, but his willingness to join the rush and pick spots to cut in would be welcomed. Assist on the first MMG goal

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
What are his zone stat splits like? I'm envisioning someone who plays PP2 and ozstarts at the NHL level.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
Friedman was on the instigators a couple of days ago talking about this. He said he spoke with the front office of a few teams and they all told them Antipin was going to Buffalo. He can't officially sign until Russian playoffs are over, but his agent will tell other teams when he's made up his mind as a courtesy. It seems pretty set.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
Friedman was on the instigators a couple of days ago talking about this. He said he spoke with the front office of a few teams and they all told them Antipin was going to Buffalo. He can't officially sign until Russian playoffs are over, but his agent will tell other teams when he's made up his mind as a courtesy. It seems pretty set.

Best news I will hear in a long time regarding this team.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Fantastic news. I'm getting more excited over this kid than I should lol

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Fantastic news. I'm getting more excited over this kid than I should lol

I wouldn't say I'm excited but i definitely am intrigued.

Let's face It -- this teams prospect pool ok defense is sorry. Giving a guy like this a chance is well worth the risk. The Sabres legitimately need at least two new defensemen going into next year. Guhle and Antipin can bring in that skating ability that Murray spoke about recently on WGR.

I'm not saying Antipin is going to be some great defensemen but given his skating and offensive ability it is definitely worth a shot. At this point Buffalo really has nothing to lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad