Player Discussion Victor Antipin - Sports.Business-gazetta speculates he is going back to KHL

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Teams can offer guys contracts without submitting a qualifying offer. A qualifying offer is a specific form that gets submitted to the player (and his representation), the NHLPA and Central Registry.

Oh ok. Is there some advantage to doing it that way? Did Antipin have arbitration rights somehow? Regardless, I don't think that's what happened here. I think like the rest of the league the Sabres had no interest in him. I think the dad is either misinformed or lying.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Oh ok. Is there some advantage to doing it that way? Did Antipin have arbitration rights somehow? Regardless, I don't think that's what happened here. I think like the rest of the league the Sabres had no interest in him. I think the dad is either misinformed or lying.
So you're going to assume that he's lying simply because it doesn't fit your preconceived notions? Well, you're free to do that, but it's unlikely to lead you to valid conclusions. Based on what Antipin's father said, which no one has contradicted, the most likely scenario is that the Sabres offered Antipin a contract, he told them he wasn't interested and was planning to go back to Russia, and the Sabres chose not to qualify him because it wasn't worth it. If Antipin had been qualified, the Sabres would have retained his rights through 2020. Antipin's contract in Russia runs through 2021.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It was a profitable experience for Comrade Antipin. He made close to a million dollars, improved his English, and learned some of our most advanced Buffalo wing technology.

Reactions: DJN21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad