GDT: VGK vs Avs preseason game 2: Return of Pauly Walnuts 6pm ET

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Man, I cannot stop gushing about Brannstrom. he was pretty much the sole reason Vegas was able to stay in the offensive zone on that last shift.

Saying he looks like he's gotten comfortable on the NHL ice is an understatement at this point. With Colin Miller and Brayden McNabb on the roster tonight, somehow this 19 year old is the most impactful and NHL-like defender we have.

Put a gun to my head to make a bet, I'd put money down on Brannstrom getting a look in the NHL this year. He's been tremendous tonight.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
My impressions:

Brannstrom: Best player on the ice. He didn't just look NHL ready. He looked like an NHLer on the cusp of stardom. I was so impressed with his game tonight. His passing, skating, ability to get to loose pucks, the ability to hold the puck under tight defensive pressure. He'd be hard pressed to have a better game than that if he's trying to earn a spot.

Whitecloud: The kid has a future in the NHL. Of that much I'm sure. I don't think he'll ever quite be a star player, but he is just so smart, he's strong on his skates, and he rarely makes a bad play. Brannstrom may muscle him out of a spot but I wouldn't be surprised if Whitecloud is the first or second injury call up candidate.

Stastny: It was an interesting game for Paul. A couple of assists and one that was simply spectacular but he did sort of fade into the background a fair bit.

Tuch: I thought he was the best forward for the Knights. His game did have some lulls but overall he was a towering presence in the offensive zone and made a lot of good things happen.

Fucale: Malcolm Subban may need to start sweating. He made some great saves, maintained composure, and had good crease movement.

Miller: Got better as the game went along but I still felt he looked rusty out there.

McNabb: Not much separated him and Whitecloud. He played a fundamentally sound and safe game.

Haula: Made his presence felt but despite the goal I still felt he could have made a stronger statement tonight if his aim is to remain on the second line.

Duke: Glut of roster players will probably keep him out of the lineup, but he's fourth line ready now. The energy and tenacity he brings to the game would be an asset to this team for sure.

Carrier: I thought his penalty killing was pretty solid, he had a couple decent looks at the net. Not much else stood out to me.

Elvenes: His skating and hands still seem strong, but he still plays the game like he has tunnel vision. He continues to be a frustrating player to watch.

Lindberg: Had a nice pass to Stastny to help set up the Tuch goal but past that I really didn't notice him much.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
My impressions:

Brannstrom: Best player on the ice. He didn't just look NHL ready. He looked like an NHLer on the cusp of stardom. I was so impressed with his game tonight. His passing, skating, ability to get to loose pucks, the ability to hold the puck under tight defensive pressure. He'd be hard pressed to have a better game than that if he's trying to earn a spot.

Whitecloud: The kid has a future in the NHL. Of that much I'm sure. I don't think he'll ever quite be a star player, but he is just so smart, he's strong on his skates, and he rarely makes a bad play. Brannstrom may muscle him out of a spot but I wouldn't be surprised if Whitecloud is the first or second injury call up candidate.

Stastny: It was an interesting game for Paul. A couple of assists and one that was simply spectacular but he did sort of fade into the background a fair bit.

Tuch: I thought he was the best forward for the Knights. His game did have some lulls but overall he was a towering presence in the offensive zone and made a lot of good things happen.

Fucale: Malcolm Subban may need to start sweating. He made some great saves, maintained composure, and had good crease movement.

Miller: Got better as the game went along but I still felt he looked rusty out there.

McNabb: Not much separated him and Whitecloud. He played a fundamentally sound and safe game.

Haula: Made his presence felt but despite the goal I still felt he could have made a stronger statement tonight if his aim is to remain on the second line.

Duke: Glut of roster players will probably keep him out of the lineup, but he's fourth line ready now. The energy and tenacity he brings to the game would be an asset to this team for sure.

Carrier: I thought his penalty killing was pretty solid, he had a couple decent looks at the net. Not much else stood out to me.

Elvenes: His skating and hands still seem strong, but he still plays the game like he has tunnel vision. He continues to be a frustrating player to watch.

Lindberg: Had a nice pass to Stastny to help set up the Tuch goal but past that I really didn't notice him much.

Just came over curious on how you guys felt about the game, but just had to say that's Paulys game. You won't notice him much but by the end of the night he'll have a few points along with good D. There was definitely a lot of disappointed Avs fans when we didn't sign him (myself included).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
My impressions:

So, regarding Elvenes, he obviously needs another year or two but I've read from people that have watched him that he's improved a lot this year and could be a good late round pickup. Maybe a future middle sixer.

Are you saying he has the talent and skill needed to succeed in the NHL but needs to work on thinking the game and his decision making?

That would probably be a good thing, right? Because if he didn't have the skill then he would never make it but if he does then you can teach a player better decision making.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
So, regarding Elvenes, he obviously needs another year or two but I've read from people that have watched him that he's improved a lot this year and could be a good late round pickup. Maybe a future middle sixer.

Are you saying he has the talent and skill needed to succeed in the NHL but needs to work on thinking the game and his decision making?

That would probably be a good thing, right? Because if he didn't have the skill then he would never make it but if he does then you can teach a player better decision making.
He needs to play a more three dimensional game. He forces me to describe his issues in terms I've never used before.

To me it appears he sees and thinks the game in straight lines rather than a 360 perspective.

It's the best way I can describe it. I think he has the fundamental skills and tools to be an NHLer but he just seems to have tunnel vision.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Still think Whitecloud looks bottom pairing ready. Very solid player.

Christ dude, Whitecloud is NHL ready. I can say that with confidence. He completely kept MacKinnon from attacking the net. Forced him to pass it off.

The battle between him, Hague, and Brannstrom is very interesting IMO.

I guarantee Whitecloud won't/can't be any worse than Nick Holden. Might as well go with the kid in the 6D spot.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
My impressions:

No Hyka review?? :dunno:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No Hyka review?? :dunno:
He was fine. I don't think he made much of an impact though. He had two assists, yes, but I didn't think he had some remarkably strong game tonight. His first assist was a standard pass to the point. Brannstrom did the yeoman's work in dummying the pressuring defender and then his pass to Brannstrom for his goal was good but rather unchallenging.

Brannstrom was unmarked so I mean, good on him for seeing the open ice but like I said. His game was fine. I didn't see anything to suggest he's gonna steal a roster spot.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
He was fine. I don't think he made much of an impact though. He had two assists, yes, but I didn't think he had some remarkably strong game tonight. His first assist was a standard pass to the point. Brannstrom did the yeoman's work in dummying the pressuring defender and then his pass to Brannstrom for his goal was good but rather unchallenging.

Brannstrom was unmarked so I mean, good on him for seeing the open ice but like I said. His game was fine. I didn't see anything to suggest he's gonna steal a roster spot.

Tape to tape pass. Keep in mind the wheels Hyka has(maybe you don't know). He has wheels and we're only in September, so he may be lacking today but when he's going he's going.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Tape to tape pass. Keep in mind the wheels Hyka has(maybe you don't know). He has wheels and we're only in September, so he may be lacking today but when he's going he's going.
I view the roster going forward like this

Marchesseault-Karlsson-Smith
Pacioretty-Stastny-Tuch
Eakin-Haula-Nosek
Lindberg/Carr-Bellemare-Reaves

let's say for sake of argument that he's in contention with Lindberg. Lindberg had a much nicer pass to set up a goal tonight

Tuch buries PPG to extend lead

Lindberg has experience playing in this lineup already. Hyka would have to go above and beyond to knock him off and I just wouldn't agree that he showed anything to that effect tonight.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Can't be too biased though. Whitecloud had a turnover in the neutral zone on a line change. That's why the Avalanche player had a breakaway. Although Reinhart was really slow getting back.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Can't be too biased though. Whitecloud had a turnover in the neutral zone on a line change. That's why the Avalanche player had a breakaway. Although Reinhart was really slow getting back.
True.

But I'm petty sure I said he mostly had a safe game.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
My thots:

Elvenes - he had his moments. Made a nifty pass from the boards to Duke who was in the right place (front of the net). Had a nice steal behind the goal line but turned the puck over a few times. All in all I thought he stood out more than Hyka did. His game seems suited for NA ice, which begs the question: since he's still in camp, and Rogle started their season, is he going to play for the Wolves?

Pirri - so-so game. Aside from his PP goal he wasn't able to sustain much pressure and missed a pass to the point by about 5 feet. He did make a nice play to intercept a pass and go in alone.

Hyka - almost deflected a point shot into his own net, but made a nice pass to Brannstrom on his goal. Didn't really shine.

Whitecloud - very effective and efficient all night, aside from the turnover. He made a beautiful 2 line pass to break Macek in alone

Branstrom - On one play he was out of position & let Calvert go straight to the net 1 on 1. Other than that, he was dangerous offensively just about every shift and competing hard all night. Started a rush and finished it by joining the forwards and shooting a laser beam. OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS! What a talent!

Reinhart - simply not good. Iced the puck by passing to nobody, for no good reason. This led to the only Avalanche goal, off the faceoff where he was out of position 1 second after the puck was dropped - and tried to knock the linesman out of the way. Whitecloud didn't know who to cover either, but Reinhart screened Fucale. All in all, a clusterfudge of events in a matter of seconds.

Stastny - 2 beautiful assists tonight in his debut. His boardwork and passing ability will be a great addition. I wonder if there's anybody who would look good on his wing...

Eakin - he was one of the more noticeable veterans. Hard work along the boards and smart positional play but old school 3rd line Mike Keane style play is all you get with him. The A looks good on him though!

Carpenter - Aside from providing a nice screen on the Pirri goal, he didn't show much and looked a little slow. Took his time getting back to support in his own end. Gotta keep your feet moving!

Lindberg - another guy who is fighting for 13th forward, didn't show much outside of a nice pass on the PP. Looked like Stastny gave him an inadvertent charley horse as he ran into him, but I think he finished the game.

Carrier - decent passing, nice jump. Duke seemed to want it the most on his line with Carrier and Tuch though.

Duke - beautiful one timer on his goal. He was involved all night, looked better than the vets competing for 13th spot I must say.

Merrill - a bit sloppy & running around as usual caught up ice in the neutral zone, left brannstrom alone

Miller & McNabb - they looked good together, considering they were the ones matched up against one of the top NHL lines.

Tuch - outside of an easy tap-in he was kind of flat most of the night, going through the motions like a veteran. I'm hoping to see more from him this preseason because if he wants to play with Stastny, he'd better show it.

Haula was kind of going through the motions. He looks alright on the wing.

Fucale did well. Better than I've seen from him in the past, but he was relatively untested most of the night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevada Jones

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I view the roster going forward like this

Marchesseault-Karlsson-Smith
Pacioretty-Stastny-Tuch
Eakin-Haula-Nosek
Lindberg/Carr-Bellemare-Reaves

let's say for sake of argument that he's in contention with Lindberg. Lindberg had a much nicer pass to set up a goal tonight

Tuch buries PPG to extend lead

Lindberg has experience playing in this lineup already. Hyka would have to go above and beyond to knock him off and I just wouldn't agree that he showed anything to that effect tonight.
I'm a huge Hyka fan and I've found him a bit disappointing so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad