Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] Marc-Andre Fleury signs 3 year extension with Golden Knights (AAV $7M)

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I'm happy for Fleury, he took friendly deals earlier in his career.

Fleury was never going to be a goalie for the ages, but he's better than some guys who were overpaid and have no cups.

The sooner people realize goalies go as far as their teams put forth effort in two way games. I've seen what was considered the best get left out to dry and yet they're still better?

It's called a team for a reason. These guys are the last defense not the first, but they always take the full blame when things go south.
The Penguins also stood blindly behind Fleury and he was never underpaid.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
What impressed me about Fleury is that he took the whole process of being on an expansion team and he embraced it. He could have easily demanded a trade or mailed it in but he showed how much of a professional he is. He took his departure from Pittsburgh as an opportunity and kept a positive outlook on the situation at hand and he is now getting paid. Good deal for him and Vegas.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
He will end up 2nd or 3rd in all time wins....top 5 in playoff wins....3 cups so far...

yeah...Hall of fame

Edit...he's already 8th all time in playoff wins...17 wins from 3rd....32 wins from 2nd...

5-6 more years...avg 6-7 playoff wins per year...yeah....

Those are some lofty expectations for Vegas ... to average at least one series win each year for next 5-6 years.

People need to realize that Fluery was NEVER really a problem for the Pens, a really really bad system under HC Dan Bylsma hung him out to dry way too often... he'd make some spectacular saves, but start getting out of position expecting the D to let cross crease passes and breakaways and looked bad... when the team played solid D in front of him and he wasnt abandoning the fundamentals trying to cheat over, he was always very good.

7 mil is probably the new norm for a "very Good" starting goalie under a 79 million dollar cap, especially one with that much Cup experiance.... It might even end up being a bit below that before the deal is done...

Funny that when PIT replaced MAF with competent goalie (Vokoun), that goalie had no problem having pretty exceptional Sv% (0.930+). With the same system and defense, mind you. Although MAF seems to have solved those issues that had been troubling him in those years and at least since 2014-15 season he was very good.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Penguins also stood blindly behind Fleury and he was never underpaid.

At the time, coming off a Stanley cup final run where goalies were getting 6.0+ he took 5.0. He easily for the times could have asked what his current cap hit is.

Oh, they blindly have gotten to 4 finals and 3 Stanley cups in part to his efforts. They have exactly -0- without him no-matter how you try to spin it.

Reactions: pbgoalie

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Funny that when PIT replaced MAF with competent goalie (Vokoun), that goalie had no problem having pretty exceptional Sv% (0.930+). With the same system and defense, mind you. Although MAF seems to have solved those issues that had been troubling him in those years and at least since 2014-15 season he was very good.

But that goalie (Vokoun) couldn't keep them from falling into the same trap and they ultimately fell 4 straight due to a core whom couldn't keep their head in the game. Against a weak team Vokoun completed the mirage every Fleury hater clings to. Against a formidable foe the team collapsed mentally. Again. Including Vokoun.

There's that word again.

Team.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
At the time, coming off a Stanley cup final run where goalies were getting 6.0+ he took 5.0. He easily for the times could have asked what his current cap hit is.

Oh, they blindly have gotten to 4 finals and 3 Stanley cups in part to his efforts. They have exactly -0- without him no-matter how you try to spin it.
Give me a friggin break. Jeff Zatkoff was more of a factor in the 2015-16 playoffs.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
But that goalie (Vokoun) couldn't keep them from falling into the same trap and they ultimately fell 4 straight due to a core whom couldn't keep their head in the game. Against a weak team Vokoun completed the mirage every Fleury hater clings to. Against a formidable foe the team collapsed mentally. Again. Including Vokoun.

There's that word again.

Team.

Never said he was the only reason. And even in series against BOS Vokoun still had 0.915 Sv%. Compare that to MAF string of under 0.900: 2010 (0.890 W, 0.892 L), 2011 (0.899 L), 2012 (0.834 L), 2013 (0.891 substituted). And again I readily admit that since then he was very good.

PS: In 09/10, 10/11 and 11/12 seasons the PIT backup seemed to be Brent Johnson. Maybe he was just overworked from RS. Still, those PO performances were really bad.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The dumbest thing about this contract is that it wasn’t necessary.

Why not wait and see how he does for half a season or so then decide? Does he stay healthy, are his numbers as good, was last season a fluke for the team, etc.

It’s not as if teams will be knocking down the door of a 34, soon to be 35 year old goalie next off season.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
A little too much but he’s a very capable goaltender. Not a guy who can carry his team to a Stanley Cup win, but he can carry his team to the Stanley Cup Finals.

If I were them I’d have tried to spend some of that on defensemen. If I was him I would have preferred to sign with a more solid team.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
awful for what ? 7M for Fleury who had a **** crazy year is a damn good deal.
What the f***. Didn't I just see you talking all sorts of stupid shit about second place Vezina finalist Connor Hellebuyck's deal? Hell is 25 and signed to a very fair contract, and you carried on for pages about how it was terrible (even though his AVV is less than this) but you think 7 mil a year until age 37 for MAF who has always been streaky and can't possibly repeat last years performance is a good deal. You are either a troll or you just hate the Jets.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
What the ****. Didn't I just see you talking all sorts of stupid **** about second place Vezina finalist Connor Hellebuyck's deal? Hell is 25 and signed to a very fair contract, and you carried on for pages about how it was terrible (even though his AVV is less than this) but you think 7 mil a year until age 37 for MAF who has always been streaky and can't possibly repeat last years performance is a good deal. You are either a troll or you just hate the Jets.

rz1POa3.png

Reactions: STLomacneko

BPD Habs Fan

Power of Positivity
Jul 2, 2014
Alexandria, Ontario
The contract is a little high in aav for my liking but I don't think there has ever been a case of a player saying "please pay me less, it's too much money" so I'm happy for the flower, he got paid and I'm happy for Vegas because they have stable goaltending for the next 4 years.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Term is what makes this deal very solid,3 years keeps the options open long term for LV....Also adding the fact Fleury is still a decent starter,and it makes this deal a real no brainer

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
What impressed me about Fleury is that he took the whole process of being on an expansion team and he embraced it. He could have easily demanded a trade or mailed it in but he showed how much of a professional he is. He took his departure from Pittsburgh as an opportunity and kept a positive outlook on the situation at hand and he is now getting paid. Good deal for him and Vegas.

Flower is a Pro's Pro. Just his presence is a boost to any team.

Reactions: johnnybbadd

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
maf and a 1st to seattle in 2 years not to draft and body else on team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad