GDT: VGK @ Aves | 8:22pm Start

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not saying he would.. I'm saying them going from great goaltending to below average is the main reason for the drop. If they get .930+ goaltending... they'll likely win 85% of games and have a point rate around .825, but that is unsustainable. At this ~.900 rate, they are roughly a .500 team. If they move towards .910-.915 they probably move towards .675-700.

Analytically, they are a different type of team, but in the same realm as the Avs. Avs rely on a lot of shots and a lot of shots from high in the zone to create chaos in the slot. They also push teams heavily to the outside and really rely on clean puck retrievals defensively. Vegas is a heavier team that plays their offense from the corners and low slot. Not a bunch of high rotations. Their defense is less about puck retrieval and more about pushing teams to the perimeter, letting them shoot, blocking shots, and then winning the subsequent puck battle. These styles naturally have different results around the ice. Vegas gives up more shot attempts, holds the puck less, but blocks more shots. They tend to give up more medium and low danger chances, but high danger are in the same realm. On offense, they produce less medium and low danger chances, but more high danger.

In the end the result is two teams that sit neck and neck at 9 and 10 in xGF% (which I think you can argue is pretty average 8-13 is within a percent of each other). Very different ways to get to very similar results. The Avs big edge is they are a naturally much better finishing team which is a testament to the top guys and their skill. Vegas is pretty reliant on getting average or better goaltending due to the more shots and chances they give up.
And ya know what? F*** em.

I hope Vegas suffers nothing but crushing 1st round defeats and missed postseason appearances moving forward.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Very impressive game last night. Yes VEG were missing a couple of key players but it is not like were healthy as well. And we did this without a 2C as well.

Very glad George finally put together a very good game especially without a softie. The last 2 games should help him a lot in building some confidence.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
Vegas has a couple of significant injuries too. I think Theodore and Karlsson are both on the IR.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Did we forget when Vegas spanked us 7-0? They’ll be a tough series for anyone. I’m not sure of their cap issues, but they’ll be adding at the deadline if they have space.
Vegas will most certainly add at the deadline. If Guentzel actually does get moved... my bet is he will end up in Vegas.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
So no one is talking about Georgiev getting a shutout?

Everyone is lightly walking past the graveyard trying to make minimal noise. They know it’s tempting fate and by talking about it and next time it will be another 5 goal outing. It might happen anyway.

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
So no one is talking about Georgiev getting a shutout?
I’m more surprised no one is talking (or laughing about) Georgiev being 4th in all star voting for goalies lol. Guessing most people were on the TNT feed and missed that. Like who’s voting for him wtf? lol

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I’m more surprised no one is talking (or laughing about) Georgiev being 4th in all star voting for goalies lol. Guessing most people were on the TNT feed and missed that. Like who’s voting for him wtf? lol
He leads the league in wins.

besVFjG.png

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think Vegas is having a delayed Cup hangover.
They seem like one of those teams that needs to be 100% healthy to be great. If they are 90% healthy and guys get placed in different roles it just doesnt work for them. Not having Karlsson hurts them alot. Not having Carrier also hurts them. Carrier is one of the best 4th liners in hockey sad to say.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They seem like one of those teams that needs to be 100% healthy to be great. If they are 90% healthy and guys get placed in different roles it just doesnt work for them. Not having Karlsson hurts them alot. Not having Carrier also hurts them. Carrier is one of the best 4th liners in hockey sad to say.
F*** Will Carrier bitch ass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad