GDT: VGK @ Aves | 8:22pm Start

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Lot of people here so conditioned by the altitude circle jerk that they hear insidious anti-Avs bias from other commentators. It’s pretty funny. Thought the TNT crew was unanimously glowing about the avs last night. Rightfully so.
Who complained about TNT?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
When nation games are on both TNT and Altitude, the games get blacked out. When it's only on TNT, the games are broadcast locally. According to Moser on Twitter, Altitude isn't blacking these games out, and is being done by the NHL to protect RSNs.

Sounds like a copout to me, but that was the reason given.
May not be too far off,
We used to get the TNT feed even when Altitude was live as well, but this season we are blacked out.

Figured we were in a "no home territory" void, but the first TNT+altitude game I was out and came home to a 3 hour recording of the blackout message.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Lot of people here so conditioned by the altitude circle jerk that they hear insidious anti-Avs bias from other commentators. It’s pretty funny. Thought the TNT crew was unanimously glowing about the avs last night. Rightfully so.
It’s not really anti Avs or hating the Avs, Olczyk just really wanted Vegas to score a goal. It’s probably more like he wanted a competitive game and not about hating the Avs.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
It’s not really anti Avs or hating the Avs, Olczyk just really wanted Vegas to score a goal. It’s probably more like he wanted a competitive game and not about hating the Avs.
he probably had a player prop that needed met to hit his parlay like I did :laugh:

Reactions: the_fan

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
Yeah there’s definitely truth to this. I have no problem with Altitude being homers or any regional broadcast but it’s definitely conditioned some Colorado fans into thinking any criticism is because they’re hating.

TNT was prime last night They had a lot of nice things to say about the Avs in intermission and just said VGK need to be more aggressive on the PP throughout.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Out of curiosity, what about his play has been "beast" worthy? I've seen this kind of comment mentioned a lot as well.

He's skating well with the puck, and helping the transition game a lot, but he's got 0 goals and 2 assists in 5 games, been too aggressive at bailing the D zone, has caused I'm pretty sure 4-5 odd man rushes against including a 2 on 0, killed power plays by turning the puck over and running into teammates, and has been a little soft in his defensive coverage for at least a couple goals against.

He's definitely been pretty good as usual when he's not in a slump, but I feel like objectively he's also definitely not playing like a "beast." You need to be playing nearly perfect, and putting up goals and points, for that kind of compliment.

Quite honestly, he's been having challenges with possessing the puck a lot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Since Vegas' 11-0-1 start they are 12-13-4. That's a fairly large sample size of suck.
Basically since Adin Hill went down. They went from getting great goaltending to below average/bad goaltending. Their quality of play hasn't changed much, but they went from a large margin of error to zero margin for error.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Basically since Adin Hill went down. They went from getting great goaltending to below average/bad goaltending. Their quality of play hasn't changed much, but they went from a large margin of error to zero margin for error.
Not a chance Adin Hill was gonna keep that up. Hes basically never played more than 30 games in regular season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Interesting squad. They get out-attempted on a routine basis, are basically even when it comes to scoring chances and slightly positive for HD chances.

Statistics seem to indicate that's a fairly average hockey club.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
MacDermid is a f***ing legend.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.01.30 AM.png

96.14 xGF%

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.02.41 AM.png

70.70 Corsi%

Re-sign this man. Max term.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not a chance Adin Hill was gonna keep that up. Hes basically never played more than 30 games in regular season.
I'm not saying he would.. I'm saying them going from great goaltending to below average is the main reason for the drop. If they get .930+ goaltending... they'll likely win 85% of games and have a point rate around .825, but that is unsustainable. At this ~.900 rate, they are roughly a .500 team. If they move towards .910-.915 they probably move towards .675-700.
Interesting squad. They get out-attempted on a routine basis, are basically even when it comes to scoring chances and slightly positive for HD chances.

Statistics seem to indicate that's a fairly average hockey club.

Analytically, they are a different type of team, but in the same realm as the Avs. Avs rely on a lot of shots and a lot of shots from high in the zone to create chaos in the slot. They also push teams heavily to the outside and really rely on clean puck retrievals defensively. Vegas is a heavier team that plays their offense from the corners and low slot. Not a bunch of high rotations. Their defense is less about puck retrieval and more about pushing teams to the perimeter, letting them shoot, blocking shots, and then winning the subsequent puck battle. These styles naturally have different results around the ice. Vegas gives up more shot attempts, holds the puck less, but blocks more shots. They tend to give up more medium and low danger chances, but high danger are in the same realm. On offense, they produce less medium and low danger chances, but more high danger.

In the end the result is two teams that sit neck and neck at 9 and 10 in xGF% (which I think you can argue is pretty average 8-13 is within a percent of each other). Very different ways to get to very similar results. The Avs big edge is they are a naturally much better finishing team which is a testament to the top guys and their skill. Vegas is pretty reliant on getting average or better goaltending due to the more shots and chances they give up.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
Prosvetov should get at least one of the road games coming up, yes? Maybe one of the back to back games on 15 or 16 January?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad