Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] Alex Pietrangelo signs with the Golden Knights (7 years, $8.8M AAV)

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Talking about "regret":

Karlsson, Erik "A"NMCRDNHL30$11,500,000$11,500,000$11,500,000$11,500,000$11,500,000$11,500,000$11,500,000
Burns, Brent "A"M-NTCRDNHL35$8,000,000$8,000,000$8,000,000$8,000,000$8,000,000UFA
Vlasic, Marc-ÉdouardNMCLDNHL33$7,000,000$7,000,000$7,000,000$7,000,000$7,000,000$7,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

upload_2020-10-13_9-27-36.png

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
How much clout does Pacioretty have in Vegas? I hope more than Tarasenko has here - can't wait until another world class shot has to try to play the point on the PP because Petro can't.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Lose Schmidt to add Petro.. like I said.. what did they add that is so amazing that they are going to dominate the West?? They got a slight upgrade.. other than that.. same team.

Nope. What you said it "what did they add that is so good?" which is just intentionally obtuse. I'm not saying Vegas is going to dominate the West but they just added one of the best dmen on the planet so don't be ridiculous.

Also they've been a pretty damn good team year in and year out so they're far from a bad pick to win the West...they've made the conference finals twice in 3 years and just improved... I know you're such an enormous homer that you take offense to that kind of comment but you really shouldn't.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
Imho - Fluery should have been first out the door with the drama his agent created - the team did not need that on a good run and players keep agents employed.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Imho - Fluery should have been first out the door with the drama his agent created - the team did not need that on a good run and players keep agents employed.
They should have....but the team wasn't willing to pay a 1st+ on a retained contract to move him, and lehner's injury makes having a second starter all the more significant.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Nope. What you said it "what did they add that is so good?" which is just intentionally obtuse. I'm not saying Vegas is going to dominate the West but they just added one of the best dmen on the planet so don't be ridiculous.

Also they've been a pretty damn good team year in and year out so they're far from a bad pick to win the West...they've made the conference finals twice in 3 years and just improved... I know you're such an enormous homer that you take offense to that kind of comment but you really shouldn't.

If they added Petro to their team, without losing players, I would agree with your analysis.

But they are losing players to make additions.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
If they added Petro to their team, without losing players, I would agree with your analysis.

But they are losing players to make additions.

That's just an unrealistic standard to have in a cap world. If a top team improves even if they have to sacrifice pieces to do so(in a cap world they almost always will) it's perfectly reasonable for posters to pick them as cup favourites. I'm sure you'd have done the same if Dallas had shed players to add Taylor Hall. Also Schmidt is a good player but Pietrangelo is more than "a slight upgrade." Am I comfortable calling Vegas cup favourites? No, Tampa exists, but it's not like they're an outrageous pick.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It wasn't just the extra money. I believe the Blues did not offer a full NMC.
He was probably safer in St. Louis without a NMC than he is in Vegas with one.

I doubt that St. Louis would ever trade him.

I wouldn't doubt that Vegas might ask him to waive his NMC -- and make it very uncomfortable not to do so -- at some time over the next seven years.

Reactions: Spektre

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I wouldn't doubt that Vegas might ask him to waive his NMC -- and make it very uncomfortable not to do so -- at some time over the next seven years.

I'm sure you came to this conclusion based on their past seven years of how they handle players, especially this GM?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Binnington stole games for st louis during the Stanley cup run.

He is the reason St Louis went on that fluke run
Of goaltenders to play at least 4 games during that post-season, Binnington ranked 7th in G.A.A and 10th in Sv%.

He is not the reason St. Louis went on that run - and it certainly was not a fluke. He at times was a reason, yes. And he played great at times, too, like game 7 vs Boston.

But to say that he's the reason St. Louis went on that run is just wrong.

Reactions: Note Worthy

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

I wouldn't draw that conclusion at all. I could absolutely see where Armstrong says you know what, I think I see a chance to make this team better - or, thinking back to '14 or '15, you know what, this group needs a shake-up and someone's going out of here, I don't care who the hell it is or how little sense it makes.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They should have....but the team wasn't willing to pay a 1st+ on a retained contract to move him, and lehner's injury makes having a second starter all the more significant.

Ownership stepped in IMO. You can always find a capable 1b for relatively cheap (yes, even Dell would do) and Schmidt > VGK 1st + 2nd to move Fleury.

1st + 2nd + MAF + moving McNabb on a bargain contract was the move to make but Foley did not like the idea of a PR nightmare.

edit: also seems like he wouldn't waive for the 1 or 2 teams that would have made a more 'agreeable' trade

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Of goaltenders to play at least 4 games during that post-season, Binnington ranked 7th in G.A.A and 10th in Sv%.

He is not the reason St. Louis went on that run - and it certainly was not a fluke. He at times was a reason, yes. And he played great at times, too, like game 7 vs Boston.

But to say that he's the reason St. Louis went on that run is just wrong.
No ... but yes. Way too many times - especially late in that '17-18 season - Allen would just make some mind-numbing gaffe and you could see the shoulders on every Blues player slump forward in response. They saw, came to realize, they couldn't count on him to bail them out if/when needed. It turned into a situation where Blues skaters were playing tentative defense, trying to be picture-perfect, because they sensed if they f***ed up Allen would really f*** up.

When Binnington was white-hot in net from his very first start, he gave the Blues the kind of goaltending they hadn't had since arguably Elliott. Much more importantly though, he made the stops he needed to and came up with big saves at critical times and didn't get flustered if he gave up a goal; he shrugged it off and got back between the pipes like nothing ever happened. It gave the guys in front of him the confidence to open up and play their game and not be afraid to take some risk and be aggressive, knowing that if they made a mistake it wasn't 50/50 that the puck would end up in the back of the net as a result and their goalie would spend the next 10 minutes dwelling on it.

That was something Allen could never do [and IMO was never going to do] - and that was the difference between a 1st/2nd round exit and winning the Cup.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

if they follow form vegas will dump him in the next two years while he is still valuable enough for someone to take on his contract and then sign the next pietrangelo.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
That's just an unrealistic standard to have in a cap world. If a top team improves even if they have to sacrifice pieces to do so(in a cap world they almost always will) it's perfectly reasonable for posters to pick them as cup favourites. I'm sure you'd have done the same if Dallas had shed players to add Taylor Hall. Also Schmidt is a good player but Pietrangelo is more than "a slight upgrade." Am I comfortable calling Vegas cup favourites? No, Tampa exists, but it's not like they're an outrageous pick.

So for example, Dallas loses Radulov (Schmidt) and adds Hall (Petro).. while losing Radek Faksa (Statsny) down the middle.

I don't see that as a big improvement and wouldn't be posting that we are going to dominate the West. No.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I don't want to trash Vegas but man, I really don't understand how it's become the most appealing city to all NHL players. I guess I get that they all have summer homes elsewhere that they go to when the heat becomes unbearable. If you are still playing in May and June, your entire focus is on the playoffs so you can ignore the heat then. September you can just deal with. But the wives and children....don't they want some nature? Some actual greenery? Some social life that isn't surrounded by gambling? I have a feeling Vegas gets a similar rep to Phoenix in a few years.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't want to trash Vegas but man, I really don't understand how it's become the most appealing city to all NHL players. I guess I get that they all have summer homes elsewhere that they go to when the heat becomes unbearable. If you are still playing in May and June, your entire focus is on the playoffs so you can ignore the heat then. September you can just deal with. But the wives and children....don't they want some nature? Some actual greenery? Some social life that isn't surrounded by gambling? I have a feeling Vegas gets a similar rep to Phoenix in a few years.
The greenery is palm trees

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think Pietro is an idiot for leaving St. Louis over such a small amount of money.

You take away the extra year and add in the higher AAV and no state tax, and its six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Then you throw away the goodwill of being the captain of the only cup-winning team in the 50+ year history of the franchise, married to a home-town girl and raising a young family in the city where he was drafted as a teenager and it isn't even close. Money can't buy those things. They have value and he threw them all away.

It was never about the money. With hockey players at the top of the game, it's about what the money says about how you're respected / valued in the league and by the team.

That respect element is why AP is no longer a member of the Blues. He believed (and rightfully so) that he deserved a full NMC and substantial bonus money. Doug Armstrong doesn't do that, and while he indicated willingness to do some of it, it was never going to be a hard-stop, full NMC for all 7-8 years.

It's knowing that team and player had completely inflexible positions in this regard, that caused Armstrong to go out and get Faulk, which in turn caused even more feeling of disrespect by AP.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad