Confirmed with Link: VGK acquire Martinez for 2020 2nd, 2021 2nd from LAK

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
That would be an awful deal for us. Schultz is a pending UFA that is going to get overpaid. You move futures for rentals not established top 6 centers.

He might be able to get a decent deal, they would have to negotiate it but I thought there was no way Stastny gets only three years or Pacioretty only gets four years but they did.

Tuch, Theodore got deals I didn't think we could get.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
He might be able to get a decent deal, they would have to negotiate it but I thought there was no way Stastny gets only three years or Pacioretty only gets four years but they did.

Tuch, Theodore got deals I didn't think we could get.
Tuch, & Theo deals were Predators-esque deals, young guys getting longer term for less money. Deals I like to see, only thing that can really f it up is injuries.

Reactions: Pia8988

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Now that Nate is playing better, Whitecloud seems to be good enough to play in the bottom pair if needed and Holden seems to work well with Shea, what's the deal really going to be? Who is really an upgrade worthy of giving away good assets for? Unless someone unlikely kind of falls, why even make a deal? I haven't heard of anything better than guys who can put Engo or Merrill pretty much in the press box. Unless there's a thought of a new guy sitting beside Nate and moving McNabb to the third pair I don't see any upgrades that will significantly change the teams chances this year. Almost every team wishes they had a better third pair, that's not some unique factor holding this team back.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Now that Nate is playing better, Whitecloud seems to be good enough to play in the bottom pair if needed and Holden seems to work well with Shea, what's the deal really going to be? Who is really an upgrade worthy of giving away good assets for? Unless someone unlikely kind of falls, why even make a deal? I haven't heard of anything better than guys who can put Engo or Merrill pretty much in the press box. Unless there's a thought of a new guy sitting beside Nate and moving McNabb to the third pair I don't see any upgrades that will significantly change the teams chances this year. Almost every team wishes they had a better third pair, that's not some unique factor holding this team back.

Why wouldn't you upgrade for the cost of a 2nd (or thereabouts)? I still don't think Holden is solid enough to trust in the playoffs.

McNabb Schmidt
Holden Theodore
Hague ____
Whitecloud
Engelland

PK
McNabb ____
Holden Schmidt

Merrill is the odd man out IMO. I'd waive him so he can come back up after the TDL. They have enough LHD than can play the right side, they need a bottom pairing RHD that can play LD in a pinch and kill penalties.

I don't know if he's ever played LD but Demelo would be perfect for the bottom pairing.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Why wouldn't you upgrade for the cost of a 2nd (or thereabouts)? I still don't think Holden is solid enough to trust in the playoffs.

McNabb Schmidt
Holden Theodore
Hague ____
Whitecloud
Engelland

PK
McNabb ____
Holden Schmidt

Merrill is the odd man out IMO. I'd waive him so he can come back up after the TDL. They have enough LHD than can play the right side, they need a bottom pairing RHD that can play LD in a pinch and kill penalties.

I don't know if he's ever played LD but Demelo would be perfect for the bottom pairing.

DeMelo makes too much sense because he has played for DeBoer before and he even played with our de facto captain, Stone, for a brief time last season. He played for the Sharks so he has a pretty good idea what Vegas is about.

You would think he would want to test free agency than commit to the Senators, a team that could be in the upswing but still probably three seasons from competing and other teams could have similar money, more exciting opportunities in his prime, bigger cities or a longer contract because they have to wonder how much of their cap would have to be given to their high draft picks the next three seasons.

He could possibly be lured in free agency so spending a 2nd round pick and a C prospect (Schuldt) to get him and increase the odds he signs here would seem worth it. And if they aren't sure he would sign with them then trading him would possibly be high on their list.

LeBrun had an article on the Athletic where he m thought it would take only a 2nd round pick to get Vatanen to the Hurricanes even with retention. I can't see DeMelo getting any more than that and we have 2nds to spare.

DeMelo for Pit 2nd and Schuldt and Merrill (50% retained for Melnyk reasons) then try to re-sign him if it seems good around 3-3.5M for 4-5 seasons.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

McNabb Schmidt
Holden Theodore
Hague ____
Whitecloud
Engelland

PK
McNabb ____
Holden Schmidt

One of the excess seconds, maybe. I just don't think its a big upgrade. I think Holden is exactly what he's been all along. Easy to get caught up on some mistakes he's made in the past, but he's doing fine now and is an experienced NHL defender who does best when not too much is asked of him offensively. I don't think a trade without giving up a lot of assets gets an improvement on that, been saying it since the time people wanted him dumped in the worst way. I have watched Demelo for quite some time, he's about what you get with Holden. His numbers have been better in Ottawa than I would have expected, but going from a bad team to a good team can really change that because of differences in structure and opportunity. If he comes at a lower 2nd round pick, then fine go ahead. Frankly I'd rather give up a lower valued prospect and I have to think Ottawa may want that too. I mean if we have decided Schuldt isn't going to become an NHL starter by the time his rookie deal is done, time to get what you can in a trade and aim for another college free agent to take his place.

The rest of the names out there I hear about sound like overpay city. Maybe with a new GM we get a slightly changed strategy where he tells George to just let the market come to us and we make a move only if some good deals develop. Would be a welcome change, but then again all the speculation about pressure from an old owner may be true too.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Looks like Big Buf will be an UFA very soon. If he's good to go and willing I'd bet on him.

I think they said he wasn't even skating recently. If we assume he started skating at the beginning of this month, is a month enough time for him to be useful during the stretch run?

I'm sure if he needed the other month before the playoff run to get in better game shape they wouldn't mind if he was ready for the playoffs. But is that likely?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I think they said he wasn't even skating recently. If we assume he started skating at the beginning of this month, is a month enough time for him to be useful during the stretch run?

I'm sure if he needed the other month before the playoff run to get in better game shape they wouldn't mind if he was ready for the playoffs. But is that likely?
That's why it's a bet, he'd command a very small contract, so I say why not go for it if the opportunity presents itself. If it doesn't work out no harm no foul really.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
That's why it's a bet, he'd command a very small contract, so I say why not go for it if the opportunity presents itself. If it doesn't work out no harm no foul really.

I think he just wants to retire and he's made enough money. Otherwise they would have talked him into LTIR this year and see if he changed his mind.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
My hope is the last two dominating games have diminished the urgency to make a big splash. Don't have problem with trading a 2nd rounder, of which we have plenty, or a C level prospect, or maybe trade Eakin for a coupon to Taco Bell (addition by substraction), but i live in fear (hockey-wise) that they'll trade the future for an unlikely run at the Cup and then be in the wilderness for years.

Reactions: GKG18

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
My hope is the last two dominating games have diminished the urgency to make a big splash. Don't have problem with trading a 2nd rounder, of which we have plenty, or a C level prospect, or maybe trade Eakin for a coupon to Taco Bell (addition by substraction), but i live in fear (hockey-wise) that they'll trade the future for an unlikely run at the Cup and then be in the wilderness for years.

There is only Dumba or Petry who would seemingly be available (and they may not be) that would cost more than that. If they avoid them, I think they are good.

DeMelo, Martinez, Vatanen, Dillon, Braun, Stecher would be the others who could get traded.

I think the Rangers keep DeAngelo and I don't see us wanting to make that trade. There's a chance Tuch or someone could get traded for Ristolainen I guess.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I wouldn’t be more eager to trade picks because the team has several of them. That’s the type of reasoning that led to the team making the trade for Tatar.

If it’s a good trade, it’s a good trade whether we have one 2nd round pick or several of them. Having more picks is an advantage, and you still have an edge if you just keep them. If you easily give them away in trades then you’re just helping out other teams.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If some of the prices being thrown around are close to what they might cost, then I would imagine Vegas are players for an RD at the cost of a 2nd and 3rd, two 2nds or a 2nd and something.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
He's LH though so that's a negative.

That could be my only concern. But hasn't he played right more in his career? I know Brannstrom is LHD but he apparently likes playing the right side more and some in the hockey world believe his NHL struggles are due to Ottawa forcing him on the left. And judging how well he plays on the right in the SHL and AHL it could be possible.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
If Vegas is interested in Vatanen, I wonder if the can get NJ to take Merrill back for the rest of the year?

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
ESPN posted a trade prediction: Vegas gets Gostisbehere for McNabb and 2 second-rounders.

I would hate to give up McNabb but I would do this all day if Philly will retain some salary. Ghost and Theodore would be a great compliment to our forward group.

I think we could finally get some consistent scoring from our D-core with this move.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
ESPN posted a trade prediction: Vegas gets Gostisbehere for McNabb and 2 second-rounders.

I would hate to give up McNabb but I would do this all day if Philly will retain some salary. Ghost and Theodore would be a great compliment to our forward group.

I think we could finally get some consistent scoring from our D-core with this move.

Gross. Gostisbehere is healthy scratch material now signed for three seasons over 5M.

Very hard pass.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad