News Article: Vezina Trophy: Ben Bishop

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440533

VEZINA TROPHY

Winner: Ben Bishop, Tampa Bay

Runners-up: Josh Harding, Minnesota; Tuukka Rask, Boston
Comment: The 32 games that Bishop has played this season already counts as a career-high, so who knows where this is going (especially considering his injury on the weekend), but he leads in even-strength save percentage (.945) and has been an anchor for a team that has been playing without their top offensive threat for more than a quarter of the season.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Bish has been awesome for TB. I am still glad to have Anderson and Lehner as as the King and the Successor. Despite Andy's struggle this season, when he's on his game he is almost Hasekesque (Buffalo version). Lehner will be The Lehner for many years for this organization.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I like our goalies, but I can't help feel a little sick to my stomach thinking about trading away a Vezina trophy winner for a guy who is in and out of our top six and not on pace for 20 goals.

I like Anderson, I like Lehner, I like Cony... but if Bishop wins the Vezina at the end of the year I have a hard time liking that trade. I'll be bitter we didn't get more and that we made a mistake evaluating how good Bishop was.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I just do not like the fact we traded him in our division to a team that needed a goalie. Rather silly thing to do

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He also plays infront of a system thats very similar to what the Sens were rolling last season. He wouldn't be winning one here, this season.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I like our goalies, but I can't help feel a little sick to my stomach thinking about trading away a Vezina trophy winner for a guy who is in and out of our top six and not on pace for 20 goals.

I like Anderson, I like Lehner, I like Cony... but if Bishop wins the Vezina at the end of the year I have a hard time liking that trade. I'll be bitter we didn't get more and that we made a mistake evaluating how good Bishop was.

Hindsight 20/20. A lot of people were calling the deal a steal for the Sens, when in reality Murray had to get trade of one of the goalies with Bishop's pending RFA status and Lehner's performance in the big leagues. Murray kept his number one goalie and goalie of the future, and traded an unproven goalie commodity for the best offer he got at the time.

I still believe Anderson and Lehner is a better goaltending duo than Bishop/Lehner or Bishop/Andy.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
We still had no choice. Nothing wrong with the deal we made.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I still question whether bishop can put up consistent numbers season after season. For all we know, he could be overachieving this season. Anderson was most likely going to win the vezina last season until he got injured. Look at him now though. I am still holding judgment on the trade.

The only thing i did not like was that he was traded to a division rival.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
bad trade. Should have let lehner start in bingo(don't care how much he whines) and kept bishop and andy in ottawa. Lehner would have played more games in the A. he is sitting on the bench right now at 22 yrs old. bad trade.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Hindsight 20/20. A lot of people were calling the deal a steal for the Sens, when in reality Murray had to get trade of one of the goalies with Bishop's pending RFA status and Lehner's performance in the big leagues. Murray kept his number one goalie and goalie of the future, and traded an unproven goalie commodity for the best offer he got at the time.

I still believe Anderson and Lehner is a better goaltending duo than Bishop/Lehner or Bishop/Andy.

Absolutely hindsight - no doubt. But that's how, in the end, you judge a trade. How it looks at the time, during, then after. Made the move b/c the team didn't want Lehner in Bingo this season. They could have gone with that, but felt they needed to move an asset from our strength and get a player to fill a need. And they did it. We'll see in a few years how it works out, but the better Bishop plays the worse I feel about it.

And a big part of that is Bishop is in our division. Hell, maybe we'd be in a playoff position right now if Bishop was on our bench most nights rather than tending goal for the competition. Crazy to think that, but it's probably true, we'd likely be better off in the standings with Player X from Bingo in our lineup and Bish on the bench, and Cony in Tampa Bay. Not b/c we'd be better, we'd still be talking about our three great goalies and how we need another top six forward (another another top six forward, ha!), but b/c Tampa Bay would be so much worse.

Yes, all hindsight, but that's how you determine if things worked out. I invested my money in X and I lost $50,000... bad move. Thought it was smart at the time but I was wrong. Hindsight. Whoops. Damn.

Doesn't negate it at all.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
I hated the trade then and I hate it now

Murray says this league is a 2 goalie league and if you wanna win you have to have 2 good goalies

So why let Bishop at 26 years old go ?

We could of had stable goaltending with Lehner Bishop tandem for years to come !!

Just not a smart move ..Andy would have got us a better return

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Trading Bishop was clearly the right move at the time because he was clearly the #3 guy, and Lehner was ready to stay with the big club and sending him down to Bingo for another year would have done nothing. I'm happy that Bishop found success in Tampa, and even though I seriously doubt he will win the Vezina I am pulling for him.

Margaret Trudeau*

Trading Bishop was a terrible gaff. There was absolutely no reason for it.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Besides it being early, we've seen one and done Vezina winners. Still too early to declare Bishop an elite goalie. Jim Carey won the Vezina and then disappeared. Bobrovsky won the Vezina last season and doesn't look like the same goalie. Jose Theodore won a Vezina and then went off a cliff. Went from being a starter to a backup after 3 seasons with the habs. He wasn't even a real NHL #1 either when he went to Colorado, Washington and Florida.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think the trade was the right move at the time. Anderson was putting up great numbers and would have won the vezina if he did not get injured. He was also one of the reasons why the sens beat the habs in that playoff series. Lehner was not going to be traded, so bishop was the last man standing.

Yes, it looks like it was a bad trade as of now. As i said before, i am going to hold off judgment until a couple of seasons has past. How many times have we seen goaltenders put up great numbers one season only to put up ****** numbers the next. Bishop just might be overachieving this season just like anderson overachieved last season. Now if bishop puts up great numbers season after season, then i will start talking about how terrible the trade was.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
People keep forgetting that we also used the pick we got in the Bishop trade on Marcus Hogberg.

So after Lehner, we still have him, Chris Driedger (who SHOULD have been on Team Canada instead of that sieve Patterson) and Francois Brassard still waiting to enter the pipeline.

There was no way you were going to get Bishop to stay long term either splitting starts or playing second fiddle to Lehner. And vice versa.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
People keep forgetting that we also used the pick we got in the Bishop trade on Marcus Hogberg.

So after Lehner, we still have him, Chris Driedger (who SHOULD have been on Team Canada instead of that sieve Patterson) and Francois Brassard still waiting to enter the pipeline.

There was no way you were going to get Bishop to stay long term either splitting starts or playing second fiddle to Lehner. And vice versa.

tobias lindberg

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

We didn't get more because more wasn't offered. If we evaluated wrong imagine how Edmonton, Philly, and whoever else feels. I hate this hindsight stuff I trust that Murray got the best package we could at the time. Three good goalies doesn't work for long so a move needed to be made, at the time he had the third best numbers of our three goalies. Anderson the vet with Lehner in the wings made perfect sense and still does. It's only 4 or 5 months into the season and as we know there is not many goalies that can stay very consistent, a year from now it may well be a different story.

TristanH

Apr 22, 2012
Ottawa
Exactly... we are 40+ games into the season. Who is to say Conacher doesn't start to really roll.. and Ben Bishop either gets injured or starts to slump.

At the end of the day it's a gamble.. and you hope when you roll the dice that things workout in your favour.

In Andy & Robin i trust. These goalies just need to get there swagger back... and when they do... lookout.

We didn't get more because more wasn't offered. If we evaluated wrong imagine how Edmonton, Philly, and whoever else feels. I hate this hindsight stuff I trust that Murray got the best package we could at the time. Three good goalies doesn't work for long so a move needed to be made, at the time he had the third best numbers of our three goalies. Anderson the vet with Lehner in the wings made perfect sense and still does. It's only 4 or 5 months into the season and as we know there is not many goalies that can stay very consistent, a year from now it may well be a different story.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It could be a bitter pill to swallow, but that's the thing with trading goalies. You never seem to get full return for them (see: Schneider). A few years back we swapped crappy goal keepers with the Avs, and Andy went into beast mode for a few seasons. Ells went on his hot streak with the Blues. I'm convinced that without his injury last year, Andy would have the Vezina.

Goalies are so tough to put a value on because their performances generally constantly waver. Just look at Bobby Lou, Bryz, heck even King H these days.

If Conacher remains part of our lineup and consistently contributes for the next few years, I'll be okay with the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad