News Article: Vezina candidate Tuukka Rask not satisfied

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
I can't believe that Rask is satisfied with his play. . .

Seriously it's like up is down and black is white in here.

I need to whip out my old bizarro superman avatar Gorscik gave me from the Dave Lewis days.

****ing FUBAR in here. Then again, people complained when we had TT, too. Two Vezinas, playoff MVP, and he wasn't good enough, either. I envy them, I mean that sincerely. I wish it were that simple, seriously.

Bearcrap

Jan 29, 2004
Pembroke
. . . might be his username.

Actually my username comes from my wife . I probably have one of the biggest Bruins collections on this board. She calls it my bearcrap.
Over 650 Bruin autographs, every base card from 1951-present, 3/4 of the Bruins cards from the 1920-40's, 22 different jerseys, every starting lineup and Mcfarlane figurine, original Garden seats etc, etc ;)

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Actually my username comes from my wife . I probably have one of the biggest Bruins collections on this board. She calls it my bearcrap.
Over 650 Bruin autographs, every base card from 1951-present, 3/4 of the Bruins cards from the 1920-40's, 22 different jerseys, every starting lineup and Mcfarlane figurine, original Garden seats etc, etc ;)

Nice! :handclap:

David Krejci*

So is Quick the only elite goalie in the league right now?
Lundqvist and Rask are elite talents, but no, in my mind you are not truly elite until you win the Cup. It'd be one thing if Lundqvist and Rask were lights out when they went to the Finals, but they weren't. There were holes in their game, and they both gave up some soft ass goals, and have a history of not being so great in the playoffs.

The "no Cup" thing will hang over anything else they do in their career until they actually win it. That's what I'm saying.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary

Sweet collection, puts mine to shame. Well done.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Let us not forget, quick did not have a great playoff performance this season. Actually, quick was terrible. Tuukka will never get a break from HF boards until the bruins win the cup with him in net.

2013-14 playoffs:

Rask 1.99 GAA (1st), .928 save percentage (1st).

Quick 2.58 GAA (6th), .911 save percentage (7th)

Reminds me of a story in Ball Four - one of Jim Bouton's teammates won a couple of games when his team was scoring a ton of runs. The media was saying "he's winning, what is he doing differently?" And Bouton said "nothing, except maybe pitching worse."

David Krejci*

2013-14 playoffs:

Rask 1.99 GAA (1st), .928 save percentage (1st).

Quick 2.58 GAA (6th), .911 save percentage (7th)

Reminds me of a story in Ball Four - one of Jim Bouton's teammates won a couple of games when his team was scoring a ton of runs. The media was saying "he's winning, what is he doing differently?" And Bouton said "nothing, except maybe pitching worse."
I can't stand people who bring up stats when discussing this kind of thing. It isn't about stats. It's about whether or not you can come up with a big save when your team needs it the most. If you give up 4 goals in regulation, but are an absolute brick wall in overtime, your GAA is going to be awful, but you showed up when it matters most.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I can't stand people who bring up stats when discussing this kind of thing. It isn't about stats. It's about whether or not you can come up with a big save when your team needs it the most. If you give up 4 goals in regulation, but are an absolute brick wall in overtime, your GAA is going to be awful, but you showed up when it matters most.

But if you only let in 2 goals, then you win without having to go to OT. Yeah, I know, you hate it when people bring logic into these things. :)

David Krejci*

But if you only let in 2 goals, then you win without having to go to OT. Yeah, I know, you hate it when people bring logic into these things. :)
Right but there are about a billion mitigating circumstances that go into that. Also, if a guy gives up a bunch of goals early on in a series and then is great in the last half and they win, his stats aren't going to be great but he was there when it really mattered.

It's the same thing with guys who score a bunch of goals in garbage time, or like Thornton and Marleau who have decent playoff stats, but are losers with nothing to show for it because when the chips are down, they are nowhere to be found. Or Crosby, his playoff stats are good because he scores a billion points against bubble teams in the first round, but when there's a real team on the other end and there's a real pushback and he can't do whatever he wants, he wilts. His stats are good, but so what??

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
Maybe it's cause I'm an old fart.....

But it's hard to believe some people really believe the Bruins can't win a cup with Rask...

At 26 years old he already took this team to the finals. Took it to 6 games facing a much better team than we did in 2011 and a goaltender that wasn't a complete head case on the other end of the ice. And that's not to take anything away from our good friend Timmy Thomas. But the circumstances were different and Thomas was getting 4+ goal support in each of his wins in the finals.

Rask doesn't make the big saves? Maybe we don't score the big goals. His save % tells me goaltending wasn't the problem vs. Chicago unless you are implying that team is easy to make saves against. Not a chance. Chicago was the best team last year and that's why we lost.

It's a team sport. This whole romantic idea of a goalie stealing the team a cup is a crock. Timmy didn't steal the cup for us, we won it as a team. He made the saves and we scored the big goals. Just like we lose as a team. Saying Rask won't be the real deal until he wins the cup is a pretty poor way to look at it. I guess Neely wasn't the real deal either. Luongo doesn't go bananas in one more game and I guess Timmy's just another failure too...

But I'm digressing. Over the years I've watched this team ice a lot of rosters and goalies that were painful to watch. This isn't one of them. Enjoy this time as a fan because it'll be over before you're ready and soon enough they'll be giving you something to cry about. I waited 39 long years to watch this team raise the cup and god knows when they'll do it again. You'll be screaming to have a goalie like Rask some day. And I can guarantee just about every team would be thrilled to have him....

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

But it's hard to believe some people really believe the Bruins can't win a cup with Rask...

At 26 years old he already took this team to the finals. Took it to 6 games facing a much better team than we did in 2011 and a goaltender that wasn't a complete head case on the other end of the ice. And that's not to take anything away from our good friend Timmy Thomas. But the circumstances were different and Thomas was getting 4+ goal support in each of his wins in the finals.

Rask doesn't make the big saves? Maybe we don't score the big goals. His save % tells me goaltending wasn't the problem vs. Chicago unless you are implying that team is easy to make saves against. Not a chance. Chicago was the best team last year and that's why we lost.

It's a team sport. This whole romantic idea of a goalie stealing the team a cup is a crock. Timmy didn't steal the cup for us, we won it as a team. He made the saves and we scored the big goals. Just like we lose as a team. Saying Rask won't be the real deal until he wins the cup is a pretty poor way to look at it. I guess Neely wasn't the real deal either. Luongo doesn't go bananas in one more game and I guess Timmy's just another failure too...

But I'm digressing. Over the years I've watched this team ice a lot of rosters and goalies that were painful to watch. This isn't one of them. Enjoy this time as a fan because it'll be over before you're ready and soon enough they'll be giving you something to cry about. I waited 39 long years to watch this team raise the cup and god knows when they'll do it again. You'll be screaming to have a goalie like Rask some day. And I can guarantee just about every team would be thrilled to have him....

Nice first post. Welcome to the boards.

David Krejci*

I don't know if this was addressed towards me or not, but if it was, I never said that the Bruins couldn't win the Cup with Rask, or that he wasn't the real deal. I believe that they can, and that he is. But until he does win a Cup, and until he does make all the necessary saves, the question of whether he can win one is there, and that's a fair criticism.

He has let up some really soft goals at some bad times, that have hurt the team, and cost them games in series that they've lost. He has the 2010 collapse vs the Flyers on his resume, that he won't ever shake that until he wins a Cup. Sorry, that's just a fact. It's not all on him, but that's a fair criticism, which is part of the reason we have this board, is to analyze and criticize.

So your last points about enjoying your time as a fan and the team will give you something to cry about eventually, and that other teams would love to have him, I don't even know what you're talking about there. We know all of that, and while I've not had 39 years of heartbreak, I've had more than my fair share. All of that stuff has nothing to do with criticizing what Rask has done. HFBoards isn't a place for "ra ra Go team Go". There's a time and place for that, and this isn't it. Rask said it himself, he's not satisfied with a Vezina, and he shouldn't be.

I do agree with you about your point with the misconception that Thomas won the Cup for us, though. That was as much of a team championship run as I've ever seen in any sport. From the top of the roster on down, EVERYBODY contributed to that, even Kaberle. It irks me when people say that Thomas was the only reason they won. He was iconically good on that run, but we also scored a tone of timely, clutch goals and played great defense.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Welcome aboard! This was a breath of fresh and rational air.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
I don't know if this was addressed towards me or not, but if it was, I never said that the Bruins couldn't win the Cup with Rask, or that he wasn't the real deal. I believe that they can, and that he is. But until he does win a Cup, and until he does make all the necessary saves, the question of whether he can win one is there, and that's a fair criticism.

He has let up some really soft goals at some bad times, that have hurt the team, and cost them games in series that they've lost. He has the 2010 collapse vs the Flyers on his resume, that he won't ever shake that until he wins a Cup. Sorry, that's just a fact. It's not all on him, but that's a fair criticism, which is part of the reason we have this board, is to analyze and criticize.

So your last points about enjoying your time as a fan and the team will give you something to cry about eventually, and that other teams would love to have him, I don't even know what you're talking about there. We know all of that, and while I've not had 39 years of heartbreak, I've had more than my fair share. All of that stuff has nothing to do with criticizing what Rask has done. HFBoards isn't a place for "ra ra Go team Go". There's a time and place for that, and this isn't it. Rask said it himself, he's not satisfied with a Vezina, and he shouldn't be.

I do agree with you about your point with the misconception that Thomas won the Cup for us, though. That was as much of a team championship run as I've ever seen in any sport. From the top of the roster on down, EVERYBODY contributed to that, even Kaberle. It irks me when people say that Thomas was the only reason they won. He was iconically good on that run, but we also scored a tone of timely, clutch goals and played great defense.

It's not all directed at you. It's a summary of a lot of stuff I've read on here ever since our loss to the Habs and since he won the Vezina. There are people who have said we won't win a cup with Rask. I think holding a 22 year old playoff virgin's goaltending stats against him is generally a bad idea....

And who are you to tell me this board isnt a time and place for this? As someone who's been a fan for a long time i'm giving my perspective on things. You're saying everybody gets how good we are and appreciates it? I dont think some people do.

I was extremely disappointed how this season ended. Some negativity after that is expected. But our season has been over for a while and I think some it is out of hand...

The sad truth is that the team is almost always gonna lose on its quest to the cup. Its incredibly difficult which should be obvious. So as an old fart when I see fans who cant even appreciate their goaltender winning the Vezina I think its a shame. Because it could be next year or it could be another 39 years before we win another cup. If you cant appreciate some stuff along the way then I'm telling you you're missing out on a special team.

David Krejci*

It's not all directed at you. It's a summary of a lot of stuff I've read on here ever since our loss to the Habs and since he won the Vezina. There are people who have said we won't win a cup with Rask. I think holding a 22 year old playoff virgin's goaltending stats against him is generally a bad idea....

And who are you to tell me this board isnt a time and place for this? As someone who's been a fan for a long time i'm giving my perspective on things. You're saying everybody gets how good we are and appreciates it? I dont think some people do.

I was extremely disappointed how this season ended. Some negativity after that is expected. But our season has been over for a while and I think some it is out of hand...

The sad truth is that the team is almost always gonna lose on its quest to the cup. Its incredibly difficult which should be obvious. So as an old fart when I see fans who cant even appreciate their goaltender winning the Vezina I think its a shame. Because it could be next year or it could be another 39 years before we win another cup. If you cant appreciate some stuff along the way then I'm telling you you're missing out on a special team.
It isn't a time or place for that. The board is to discuss players and their performance, which means criticizing them. So you coming on your high horse and saying that people aren't appreciative or whatever, just because we're making legitimate criticisms about players when they don't perform, is going to get called out by people.

Some people probably don't get how good we are. But the people who do get how good we are, have all the more reason to be disappointed and to make legitimate criticisms of a team and players who didn't perform and fell very short of their goal. It was Cup or bust for this group this year, they busted. I know we aren't going to be good forever, so while we are, it is imperative that we make the most of our window here, and not lose to inferior teams like Montreal and waste opportunities.

Yeah we get it, you're old. In this market, with this team, we aren't paying a guy to win a Vezina. Leave that to Vancouver or Washington or some other loser city/franchise. That's not us. We're about championships. I could not possibly care any less about an individual award or stat. Those guys aren't special to me. A Vezina is a nice cap on a Cup winning year. If you don't finish it off, it doesn't matter. I will never be reduced to tears when a guy loses a Vezina race, or an MVP race. I have been reduced to tears when we've lost and been eliminated in the playoffs. You play to win the game.

The good news is, I honestly feel like Rask feels the exact same way. He has that same standard for himself, and the same kind of drive. He wants it bad, and I honestly believe that he will get it one of these years. But until he does the question of "Can he?" will unfortunately loom over his head. It isn't a question of his skill. He has elite talent. Joe Thornton also has elite talent. Am I going to remember all the points Joe Thornton scored as a Bruin, or am I going to remember Rich Peverley's 3 goals in the Finals against Vancouver when he got put on the line with Krejci and Lucic, and helped us win the Cup? Winning is all that matters.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
It isn't a time or place for that. The board is to discuss players and their performance, which means criticizing them. So you coming on your high horse and saying that people aren't appreciative or whatever, just because we're making legitimate criticisms about players when they don't perform, is going to get called out by people.

Some people probably don't get how good we are. But the people who do get how good we are, have all the more reason to be disappointed and to make legitimate criticisms of a team and players who didn't perform and fell very short of their goal. It was Cup or bust for this group this year, they busted. I know we aren't going to be good forever, so while we are, it is imperative that we make the most of our window here, and not lose to inferior teams like Montreal and waste opportunities.

Yeah we get it, you're old. In this market, with this team, we aren't paying a guy to win a Vezina. Leave that to Vancouver or Columbus or some other loser city. We're about championships. I could not possibly care any less about an individual award or stat. Those guys aren't special to me. A Vezina is a nice cap on a Cup winning year. If you don't finish it off, it doesn't matter. I will never be reduced to tears when a guy loses a Vezina race, or an MVP race. I have been reduced to tears when we've lost and been eliminated in the playoffs. You play to win the game.

The good news is, I honestly feel like Rask feels the exact same way. He has that same standard for himself, and the same kind of drive. He wants it bad, and I honestly believe that he will get it one of these years. But until he does the question of "Can he?" will unfortunately loom over his head. It isn't a question of his skill. He has elite talent. Joe Thornton also has elite talent. Am I going to remember all the points Joe Thornton scored as a Bruin, or am I going to remember Rich Peverley's 3 goals in the Finals against Vancouver when he got put on the line with Krejci and Lucic, and helped us win the Cup? Winning is all that matters.

Why isn't this a time or place for something other than negativity?

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

:handclap:
Great couple of posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad