Very honest interview: Trip to Croatia to meet Borna Rendulic

EurolancheDavid

Guys, I decided to post this as a separate thread, not only to our own thread, because it is one of the best and honest interview I have ever done.

borna_rendulic_meeting_small.jpg

What is the biggest difference between the AHL and NHL?

In mistakes. In AHL, players want to come to the NHL. They are trying too much but in the NHL there are roles. These guys scoring goals and the others are good energy guys. All kind of different roles. But in the AHL everybody wants to do everything. There is not really a communication. I feel like there is no real team spirit. Everybody wants to play for themselves.

What did you like on playing in the AHL?

I liked I was playing a hockey there. It had been a fun. There are few guys we hang out with. It was nice but it was just like I really did not play with my heart. We were losing a lot. Atmosphere wasn’t good also, but it is the same with every team when they are losing. All together, I don’t think I developed how I wanted. In the NHL, when you even have a practice you get better. But in the AHL it is not so good level. When I was coming over (to the AHL) I heard a lot of stories but I wanted to see it on myself. I was disappointed overall with everything. Because when I was playing in Finland, everything was taking care about. Everything was much professional. In the AHL, you are just playing there. You just feel nobody cares about you. Nobody cares about your development or how you are going to develop. Nobody teach me. We had like those development guys like David Oliver and Brett Clark. When they come over it was nice because they were teaching us, but our coaches didn’t teach anyone. There were so many young players lost their confidence. They couldn’t make the play even when they are good players. It just shouldn’t be like that. It was too much negativity around when I was there.

Is it the same for entire AHL?

I don’t know. I can’t say for other teams in the AHL. But I talked with other guys who play for other organizations and some of them had good experience, so I can’t really say.

So you aren’t coming back to the AHL?

I am not sure if they even qualify me. I don’t know what is going on. I will find out. I don’t know if I will come back to the AHL. It will depend on the offer, you never know.

Read the full interview and my report from trip to Zagreb and Borna's national team game at: http://www.eurolanche.com/article.php?id=7908

Last edited by a moderator:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly nothing that I dont think any of us didn't expect. Our AHL organisation is a train wreck and I feel like its been that way for a while now.

Something needs to be done with it soon. Its the reason so many of our young players dont develop. They hit the AHL and all help/coaching just stops and they basically just become warm bodies filling the lineup.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Thank you for this. Rendulic has the right attitude and a realistic idea of where he's at. He's a good kid and a good player, if he's not back in the AHL, he'll have a good, long career for a european club.

Not surprising to hear about the AHL coaching or lackthereof. A lot of Avs fans have known about this since the first year Chynoweth was hired.

It's surprising that the Avs organization don't address this, it's all part of it. They want to have a good development system in the minors but don't seem to have the budget to allocate the necessary resources in order for it to happen. So disappointing. :shakehead

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
That was really enlightening. Not sure I like hearing the everyday coaches aren't teaching, but that is one player's perspective, so who knows.

As always, appreciate our Eurolanche folks.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
But in the AHL it is not so good level. When I was coming over (to the AHL) I heard a lot of stories but I wanted to see it on myself. I was disappointed overall with everything. Because when I was playing in Finland, everything was taking care about. Everything was much professional. In the AHL, you are just playing there. You just feel nobody cares about you. Nobody cares about your development or how you are going to develop. Nobody teach me. We had like those development guys like David Oliver and Brett Clark. When they come over it was nice because they were teaching us, but our coaches didn’t teach anyone.

This is is all very troubling to read, and the bold part is just flat out unacceptable. Chynoweth should be fired on the spot if this the kind of development environment he is running. Even in losing, the players should still be learning and feeling like they are part of a team. If they aren't, what the hell is the point of them even being there?

Time to find out exactly what is going on in San Antonio, Sakic, and make the appropriate changes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That was really enlightening. Not sure I like hearing the everyday coaches aren't teaching, but that is one player's perspective, so who knows.

As always, appreciate our Eurolanche folks.

You would think he'd say something like, they work with certain guys but in a limited fashion or whatever.

How the hell can a HC at any level not teach regularly?

I've felt like the AHL has been a black hole for a lot of franchises for a long time, but obviously there is a couple teams who put more resources into it than others.

His description of the AHL is sad, even if it should be expected. I thought that was something Sakic and Roy wanted to change?

You'd think since Roy liked him at one point he would have gotten some organizational effort when it comes to his development if there was any to be had as well.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
You would think he'd say something like, they work with certain guys but in a limited fashion or whatever.

How the hell can a HC at any level not teach regularly?

I've felt like the AHL has been a black hole for a lot of franchises for a long time, but obviously there is a couple teams who put more resources into it than others.

His description of the AHL is sad, even if it should be expected. I thought that was something Sakic and Roy wanted to change?

You'd think since Roy liked him at one point he would have gotten some organizational effort when it comes to his development if there was any to be had as well.

It is pretty hard to find gems if you aren't willing to try and shine up all the dirt covered stones you come across.

I know the AHL teams are their own entity with their own goals, but if the Avs have any say, they should be using it to mold talent as much as possible.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It is pretty hard to find gems if you aren't willing to try and shine up all the dirt covered stones you come across.

I know the AHL teams are their own entity with their own goals, but if the Avs have any say, they should be using it to mold talent as much as possible.

Isn't there some NHL teams who own their AHL teams as well? I'd imagine much more effort is put into those teams.

We also seem to have the final say in who the coach is down there as well. So I don't really even see that as an excuse.

It's just more ammunition for my skepticism regarding anything translating from the AHL to NHL in terms of production.

Sounds like it's a damn lottery ball when it comes to player success due to coaching systems, line mates, and luck all coming into play as factors more than structure or development. I guess there is a reason the AHL does not have a strong reputation as a development league, unless you are talking about certain teams.

The NHL & the CHL need to come to an agreement that helps both sides and promotes a better environment in the AHL. If players expected to play there for at least one year if not two to three then there would be more cohesion I think. However that requires CHL teams not having control of kids not in the NHL until they are 20 years old.

This only really confirms my wish that the draft age was 19, with the AHL age cutoff being 19 as well. The CHL gets their stars for one more year, but looses more mid pack players earlier. While the AHL gets a bit of an infusion of players who are less NHL ready but still hold a lot of raw talent.

The NFL has it right IMO, with HS then College, then NFL. We have some weird morphed combination that sets a less than solid development path for NHL players.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The NHL & the CHL need to come to an agreement that helps both sides and promotes a better environment in the AHL. If players expected to play there for at least one year if not two to three then there would be more cohesion I think. However that requires CHL teams not having control of kids not in the NHL until they are 20 years old.

This only really confirms my wish that the draft age was 19, with the AHL age cutoff being 19 as well. The CHL gets their stars for one more year, but looses more mid pack players earlier. While the AHL gets a bit of an infusion of players who are less NHL ready but still hold a lot of raw talent.

I like the 19 rule for sure.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Oh really ;)

Street seriously is the AHL version of Patrick Kane. If you see that every day then why would you expect different?

It doesn't matter that the Avs don't own it, they run it however they want. The NBA owners aren't getting involved in hockey ops. But maybe someday when they do own one they might have more of an investment (not just $$) into it. Honestly I don't think it's money. They pay for them to plane travel everywhere, some teams especially on the east coast bus everywhere. They are paying to upgrade the practice facility, things of that nature.

The real problem, and the drum I've been beating quite a while, is the organizational philosophy to development. They say they want to change it but they have a lot more work to do to get there. I've been saying it for a long time, it's the important ones and the rest are fodder. Once the Avs decided you have your chance or you don't get one then they wait the days until they can get rid of you. It's clear as day how guys are treated that are earmarked as "NHL future" or not. The top guys will be moved through quickly and probably get something out of their AHL time, I actually do believe most players need some time down there. Doesn't matter what great coach they bring in, though couldn't hurt, until that philosophy changes though, that they only have time for certain guys. Roy liked Borna but they were done with him after his second stint with the Avs. Noreau got paid one way money for two years and never got a look. I'm going to keep harping on it every time this gets brought up because I really feel this is the issue at the core.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Street seriously is the AHL version of Patrick Kane. If you see that every day then why would you expect different?

It doesn't matter that the Avs don't own it, they run it however they want. The NBA owners aren't getting involved in hockey ops. But maybe someday when they do own one they might have more of an investment (not just $$) into it. Honestly I don't think it's money. They pay for them to plane travel everywhere, some teams especially on the east coast bus everywhere. They are paying to upgrade the practice facility, things of that nature.

The real problem, and the drum I've been beating quite a while, is the organizational philosophy to development. They say they want to change it but they have a lot more work to do to get there. I've been saying it for a long time, it's the important ones and the rest are fodder. Once the Avs decided you have your chance or you don't get one then they wait the days until they can get rid of you. It's clear as day how guys are treated that are earmarked as "NHL future" or not. The top guys will be moved through quickly and probably get something out of their AHL time, I actually do believe most players need some time down there. Doesn't matter what great coach they bring in, though couldn't hurt, until that philosophy changes though, that they only have time for certain guys. Roy liked Borna but they were done with him after his second stint with the Avs. Noreau got paid one way money for two years and never got a look. I'm going to keep harping on it every time this gets brought up because I really feel this is the issue at the core.

How do we become competent in terms of development down there? What do you feel like a team like Detroit or Toronto does that we don't? I only ask because I know so little about the AHL beyond following it when we have a highly touted player.

I probably personally know more about the CHL (Seattle/Tacoma and Everett have teams in the WHL) than I do about the AHL.

I just don't understand how there is very little 'teaching' when we control so much of the AHL teams personnel at a coaching level. That seems absolutely stupid to me, regardless of owning the team or not.

It's interesting how much control over their AHL franchise an NHL team has without owning the team. Right now it seems like a damn afterthought unless you have certain players the team cares about, or defenders you are trying to develop.

It's been like this for years, and it just seems dumb to me. Having direct player comments like this only confirms a lot of suspicions honestly.

If NHL teams are not going to dump money into AHL teams to develop their players, then the AHL teams need more incentive themselves IMO. If you want something to operate independently to your benefit then you need to motivate it and support it in certain ways. The NHL has failed to do that with the AHL IMO.

The AHL reminds me of a layover between long flights. Sometimes you just can't afford the direct flight, or sometimes it's necessary, but either way it's little more than a pain in the ass and a short lived inconvenience. Unless you're one of those unlucky people who get screwed out of their connecting flight due to circumstances you can't control. Sounds exactly like the AHL.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I see more benefit in the AHL than that. Players have gotten better, even Borna finally started improving late this season. It would be easier to say if it was all worthless. I'd say most players need the intermediate step, even Bigras, Zadorov, Rantanen got something out of it. Maybe they would have if they'd just been thrown into the NHL, who knows. But a short stay isn't bad. What they need to learn is what to do to make it a true intermediate step. For those that either need more time or more medium or high risk/upside talents that as Aslan said, need to get shined up a bit. They won't sign a guy like Pepin because they have no idea what to do with him. It's too bad, he does have talent and its there if someone takes a chance on him.

How to change it? All comes from the top IMO. I don't follow other AHL teams but from what I know teams like Detroit are from a strong pipeline and years and years of success. LA has such a strong identity, their pipeline isn't great but they play EXACTLY like the Kings do and get vets in who execute their system perfectly. Toronto is trying a new model, relying more on kids, treating them like a mini NHL team, sign a ton of kids on AHL contracts and make them earn ELCs, they have a ton of prospects. So there isn't one way but definitely don't half ass it or don't have a plan or just expect random guys to show up and make it a winning team.

Another issue I had is the Avs dumped so many guys there this year. Everyone knew it. They knew these guys were done and never going back. I can only imagine how toxic that made it. It's one thing to get AHL vets who WANT to be there, don't turn ex-NHL fodder into AHL vets, slap a letter on them and expect them to lead. Cliche, Bordy, Redmond, Gormley, Guenin, Berra. Some salty, salty dudes I bet. When they got the echl guys in who wanted to be there and gave everything they had the mood really changed. It was amazing to hear from Garry Nunn talk about it was his dream to play in the AHL, he truly meant it in his interview too.

I don't believe there's any "AHL team" entity. It's a shell. The NHL team occupies and runs it. Billington is the Rampage GM. The Spurs organization probably has some input as far as tenancy goes, are they getting bodies in the building, are they not trashing the place but as far as the hockey, what can they do, they just give the entity a place to play.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Btw, nice to hear from Borna and the interview he gave was great. I hope he finds success in Europe. I like that he mentioned Boikov as someone who impressed him, that's pretty nice to give the kid a shoutout. He really was good on his tryout.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I see more benefit in the AHL than that. Players have gotten better, even Borna finally started improving late this season. It would be easier to say if it was all worthless. I'd say most players need the intermediate step, even Bigras, Zadorov, Rantanen got something out of it. Maybe they would have if they'd just been thrown into the NHL, who knows. But a short stay isn't bad. What they need to learn is what to do to make it a true intermediate step. For those that either need more time or more medium or high risk/upside talents that as Aslan said, need to get shined up a bit. They won't sign a guy like Pepin because they have no idea what to do with him. It's too bad, he does have talent and its there if someone takes a chance on him.

How to change it? All comes from the top IMO. I don't follow other AHL teams but from what I know teams like Detroit are from a strong pipeline and years and years of success. LA has such a strong identity, their pipeline isn't great but they play EXACTLY like the Kings do and get vets in who execute their system perfectly. Toronto is trying a new model, relying more on kids, treating them like a mini NHL team, sign a ton of kids on AHL contracts and make them earn ELCs, they have a ton of prospects. So there isn't one way but definitely don't half ass it or don't have a plan or just expect random guys to show up and make it a winning team.

Another issue I had is the Avs dumped so many guys there this year. Everyone knew it. They knew these guys were done and never going back. I can only imagine how toxic that made it. It's one thing to get AHL vets who WANT to be there, don't turn ex-NHL fodder into AHL vets, slap a letter on them and expect them to lead. Cliche, Bordy, Redmond, Gormley, Guenin, Berra. Some salty, salty dudes I bet. When they got the echl guys in who wanted to be there and gave everything they had the mood really changed. It was amazing to hear from Garry Nunn talk about it was his dream to play in the AHL, he truly meant it in his interview too.

I don't believe there's any "AHL team" entity. It's a shell. The NHL team occupies and runs it. Billington is the Rampage GM. The Spurs organization probably has some input as far as tenancy goes, are they getting bodies in the building, are they not trashing the place but as far as the hockey, what can they do, they just give the entity a place to play.

Yeah, the NHL needs to do something if they ever want it to change, but there are things Colorado could obviously be doing much better as you said. It's kind of sad IMO.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Btw, nice to hear from Borna and the interview he gave was great. I hope he finds success in Europe. I like that he mentioned Boikov as someone who impressed him, that's pretty nice to give the kid a shoutout. He really was good on his tryout.
Is this you jumping to conclusions or did he confirm this? Haven't read the whole thing yet, but the only thing I saw is he doesn't know yet what the future has in store for him...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I predict his rights are moved to CLB in some type of small shake up trade at the draft. They were scouting SA hard when Rendu was at his best.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So you are jumping to conclusions.

Well none of us are psychic and this enitre board should be called Jumping to Conclusions Boards

So you aren’t coming back to the AHL?

I am not sure if they even qualify me. I don’t know what is going on. I will find out. I don’t know if I will come back to the AHL. It will depend on the offer, you never know.

Would you accept two-way contract?

Probably not. Because I can go play to different places where it would be nicer. I don’t want be a depth player. They called me up for few games and send down.

says enough

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good interview. I know some were high on him but he wasn't all that impressive in his limited playing time in the NHL.

Noreau is gone and Rendulic is headed in that direction as well. Will Everberg make it 3 or 3 on the signings from that summer?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The past couple years, the Avs haven't had much in the AHL that they wanted to develop... and this year, they seemed to only care about a few (it will probably be that way next season too). I think that is a big flaw in what the Avs are doing... they seem to want to put the majority of resources on a select few instead of more balancing. I understand what they are doing, especially this year. They wanted to get Z, Bigras, Rantanen, and Picks all ready for the NHL for next season. So they invested heavily in them, but hardly anybody else. I'm sure the others felt short changed and it was a dumping ground. I can't see that environment being productive for most anybody. That needs to change going forward, but it will be a slow change without much talent going into the AHL next season.

So Avs don't use a development league to develop players but to simply park them until they're needed in the NHL? Why?

I wouldn't say that... I'd say they only really care about the development of a select few at a time. Next year it will be Geertsen, Compher (if he is in the AHL), and maybe Boikov and/or Nantel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad