Versteeg traded to Chicago

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Hawks been giving up a lot goals lately ;) Just saying maybe the curse left with Steeg

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
2-1-0 since Versteeg was traded. You can add an extra win if you count the Ducks game where he only played 10 minutes earning a -1.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
So what do you guys think of Hayes?

I think his potential if he puts it together is to be more consistant offensively/Less physical Bryan Bickell

Not sure yet. He did score a goal last game but the ref was too quick to whistle so it was dissallowed

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice

I think his potential if he puts it together is to be more consistant offensively/Less physical Bryan Bickell
Hard to tell with such a small sample size and the team as a whole playing well of late, but he's been good. He's setup a few scoring chances and almost scored a goal himself, his work/cycling along the boards is pretty good....definitely lacks foot speed, but it's yet to hinder his linemates

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013

I think he can end up being a great energy and physical guy for our bottom six, which is something I think we might need soon. When all the contracts expire this summer and if we start losing and do a fire-sale, then we are going to need some good role players and I think he fits the bill perfectly. Worst case scenario he's a solid AHL player our younger guys can play with for a few years.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Hard to tell with such a small sample size and the team as a whole playing well of late, but he's been good. He's setup a few scoring chances and almost scored a goal himself, his work/cycling along the boards is pretty good....definitely lacks foot speed, but it's yet to hinder his linemates

Yeah, he fed Barch who went in all alone but he couldn't convert. He also fed Goc who was like 10 feet away from the net and somehow he missed the net completely.

-ghoste

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Yeah, he fed Barch who went in all alone but he couldn't convert. He also fed Goc who was like 10 feet away from the net and somehow he missed the net completely.

-ghoste

Actually, of all the things this team has improved on, this is still not one of them. Goldie is good for a, "he shoots high(wide)!" at least a dozen times a game.

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
Looking back on this, I don't miss Versteeg with his 12 goals or his mouthpiece.. I think the trade was pretty even. Thoughts?

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
versteeg wouldn't have 12 goals here. he was clearly slacking off and playing poorly to force a trade. he also was a cancer in the locker room. his comments about campbell and the panthers after the trade were beyond tasteless!!!!! this is one of the few guys i hope is a bust for the rest of his career!!! tallon overpaid him and gave him a ntc and versteeg showed no appreciation. SCREW HIM!!!:rant:

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
versteeg wouldn't have 12 goals here. he was clearly slacking off and playing poorly to force a trade. he also was a cancer in the locker room. his comments about campbell and the panthers after the trade were beyond tasteless!!!!! this is one of the few guys i hope is a bust for the rest of his career!!! tallon overpaid him and gave him a ntc and versteeg showed no appreciation. SCREW HIM!!!:rant:

a little dramatic harv.

why would a stanley cup team reacquire a cancer?

i don't take comments from coaches or players made immediately post trade seriously.

I don't feel we overpaid, it was nice watching a pure scorer help us make the playoffs, and one could ask whether we were impatient while he healed.

That said, even trade and Im happy.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think harv meant that Tallon overpaid when he gave Steeg that current contract.

To which I can agree, never liked that deal.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
This is a look at how well these players did since the trade occurred.

Breakdown

Kris Versteeg -GP 63 (G) 10 (A) 19 (P)= 29

Jimmy Hayes -GP 53 (G) 11 (A) 7 (P) = 18

Dylan Olsen -GP 44 (G) 3 (A) 9 (P) = 12

Points per game: Versteeg = 0.46 , Hayes = 0.33, Olsen = 0.27

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

All he said was that some of the Panthers were jealous he was leaving their **** team to go to a contender, am I missing what was so bad about those comments? Like them or not they're probably true.

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
This is a look at how well these players did since the trade occurred.

Breakdown

Kris Versteeg -GP 63 (G) 10 (A) 19 (P)= 29

Jimmy Hayes -GP 53 (G) 11 (A) 7 (P) = 18

Dylan Olsen -GP 44 (G) 3 (A) 9 (P) = 12

Points per game: Versteeg = 0.46 , Hayes = 0.33, Olsen = 0.27

I like those numbers.. trade is looking better and better.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Can we all just take a moment to appreciate this trade? We dumped our garbage for Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen, but now that move may even land us Kevin Hayes too.

"Yes, bad games happen for every player, but it’s been a trend most Chicago observers have seen from Versteeg since the playoffs began. He’s consistently been one of the worst players on the ice. He’s not scoring, he’s not defending, he’s not hitting. In the words of the great Bob Slydell from Office Space, “What is it … you’d say … you do here?”
Versteeg has been a problem for weeks — months even — but Quennville keeps going back to that well. The time for a change was weeks ago. Maybe Wednesday night’s performance was the last straw." - http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/05/29/zawaski-blackhawks-survive-but-changes-needed/

"Versteeg finished with nine shifts and 6:48 of ice time. He was also on the ice for the Kings' first goal and was a minus-2 for the game. His possession numbers were the second worst on the team. He had a 31.3 Corsi percentage (the Blackhawks had five shots for and 11 against with him on the ice in 5-on-5 situations), according to extraskater.com.

Versteeg's numbers weren't an anomaly. He's struggled throughout the series with the Kings and the playoffs. He's a minus-4 for the series and a minus-5 for the playoffs. He's been on the ice for three goals for and eight goals against in 5-on-5 situations in 14 playoff games this season." -http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4683276/versteegs-rough-postseason-continues

I'm pretty sure he was on the ice for the game winning goal last night too. Can anyone verify?

Last edited:

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
I'd say it's an overwhelming consensus on this forum that Versteeg was garbage and just getting rid of him was a plus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad