Versteeg traded to Chicago

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
the nature of internet fandom. Both fanbases happy. Excellent.

As I said before, April 2015 we will know who won this trade.

I think when your a bad team like we are, fans of that team are more aware of what is going on around the league and what players are playing well or bad because bad teams have so many holes and as fans we are constantly checking out what's happening on other teams and what up and coming prospects each team has and so on.

Great teams like Chicago, fans don't have to be "hardcore" as we have to. I bet if someone was to "test" fans of all the teams on hockey's future, the fans of the worst teams i bet would be the far more knowledgeable about what's going on in the NHL than than fans of the best teams. This is why I do not blame Chicago fans for being thrilled about this trade and think they "robbed" us here. Like someone once said, ignorance is bliss. Versteeg sucks and he was worth pissed on ice chips. We all know that and most hardcore followers of hockey know it too and definitely scouts and other Gms. That's why we had to pay to get that bum outta here. Versteeg may have his moments in Chicago and maybe win another Stanley Cup but he'll always be a bum and a cancer and he's exactly the type of NHL player every team should avoid.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
That's not my point.
Your confirmation of this tanking is trading Kris Versteeg. Kris Versteeg was being scratched/benched recently. He was just no longer a fit, winning or losing. He would've been traded regardless.

Most of the players listed on your upcoming UFA list are stopgap players. Every organization has players like that. We just so happen to have some more. It's not tanking. It'll be tanking when they start trading players who are under contract next year and beyond.

Also, our definitions of tanking are different. This team has won 4 games. Everyone should be for sell. I don't think of that as tanking, but rather trying to get better.

Eric:

Your facts do not support your argument.

There is reason that we have a plethora of stopgap players. The reason is that former ownership was trying to sell the team and make it attractive to a future buyer by reducing payroll and long term commitments to a minimum thereby giving a new owner the opportunity to remake the team. A consequence of this business strategy was that the team sucked at the time of the sale occurring just before the start of the season.

Tallon then signed a bunch of cast off veterans to avoid having to bring up prospects who were not NHL ready and hurting their development. A secondary benefit of this strategy was that the plethora of expiring contracts insured that cap space would be available in the off season. This will put the Panthers in the drivers seat in free agency as one of the few teams having a boat load of cap space and the willingness to spend money.

So what does this have to do with tanking? Since we are going to lose anyway it makes sense to secure the best and the most draft picks in 2013-14. Tanking is how you insure that your own draft picks are high. Trading is how you stockpile draft picks/prospects from others. Management seemingly has made the calculation that we need to bolster our prospect pool.

Management has also made the calculation that upgrades will be available for most of the vets that we are trying trade either in the form of future free agent signings or prospects within our pool. Tallon's statements about getting bigger, stronger etc also suggests that we are moving towards a different style of play.

Anyway, this is what appears to be happening in reality. It is bad news in the short term, but probably good news in the long term.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
Olsen could turn out to be a decent player for you (Hawk fans wrote him off far too fast). His biggest weakness is slow feet but he has worked on that. I think the key is not to rush him (he is a bit of a project). He has a nice shot; low and accurate and jumps off goalie's pads. Jimmy Hayes had some looks but never stood out. He is a bit slow too and punches well under his weight. He has good hands though and can score. He had a good camp and made the big club, but Coach Q has a short leash with new guys and he didn't stick. I would have gone after Morin if I were you guys as I think he was probably available but Hayes is not a bad bargain. I understand the frustration with Versteeg; I'm sure he was a pain in the ass for you guys, but he will be held a lot more accountable now by both the coach and the captain. Good luck to Olsen and Jimmy.

Erick*

If Kulikov can pop Versteeg the same way he hit MacKinnon, he'll be my new favorite player. That goes for any player on the roster. When we play the Blackhawks, I want to see Versteeg get hit hard at least one time. C'mon, just make it happen. It'll be easy because he's gonna be floating down the wing. Just pop him one time, that's all. I want to see his mouthpiece fly into the crowd.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Shows how much of a mental midget he is. A little adversity and he gives up. Now he can coast and win. Good for him, I just hope no other team has to rely on him when it is tough.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He DOES suck. He's on a team now that can cover up his deficiencies. I have nothing against Chicago, in fact I enjoy watching them play. But Versteeg is terrible and nothing will ever change that.

hockeywatch

Jul 18, 2008
Hayes/Olsen

Just a caution to you Panther fans about Hayes and Olsen

Olsen can be a 5 or 6 d-man, on a team that needs offense from their d-men. Defense wise, he just seems so slow to react. The game seems too fast for him at the pro level.

Hayes is a big dude. He has no clue on how to use his size. While his skating has improved, he didn't have the speed to play in the Blackhawks system.

So you got two potential NHLers for Versteeg while still paying 6.6 mil on him for the next three years. I would be pissed at Tallon if I were you. However, here in Blackhawks land, we still love Tallon and the moves he makes for the Blackhawks (minus the contract mess he made and the 2010 SC aftermath that caused him his job here).

WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY KNOW ABT THESE 2 PLAYERS LIVING IN NJ??? :shakehead

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
He DOES suck. He's on a team now that can cover up his deficiencies. I have nothing against Chicago, in fact I enjoy watching them play. But Versteeg is terrible and nothing will ever change that.

Took the words right out of my mouth MR. I like how certain CHI fans keep pointing out that they got Versteeg at half price, but neglect the fact that Bowman wouldn't trade for him at full price, or any other GM in this league for that matter. I'm just stoked Bowman took him back. Thanks, even if we do have to pay him to play against us, which is also an indictment of how bad he is.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Took the words right out of my mouth MR. I like how certain CHI fans keep pointing out that they got Versteeg at half price, but neglect the fact that Bowman wouldn't trade for him at full price, or any other GM in this league for that matter. I'm just stoked Bowman took him back. Thanks, even if we do have to pay him to play against us, which is also an indictment of how bad he is.

That's a good point. If the Panthers had not retained any salary, Hawks fans would be bawling their eyes out.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: