Versteeg traded to Chicago

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Can we all just take a moment to appreciate this trade? We dumped our garbage for Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen, but now that move may even land us Kevin Hayes too.

"Yes, bad games happen for every player, but it’s been a trend most Chicago observers have seen from Versteeg since the playoffs began. He’s consistently been one of the worst players on the ice. He’s not scoring, he’s not defending, he’s not hitting. In the words of the great Bob Slydell from Office Space, “What is it … you’d say … you do here?â€
Versteeg has been a problem for weeks — months even — but Quennville keeps going back to that well. The time for a change was weeks ago. Maybe Wednesday night’s performance was the last straw." - http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/05/29/zawaski-blackhawks-survive-but-changes-needed/

"Versteeg finished with nine shifts and 6:48 of ice time. He was also on the ice for the Kings' first goal and was a minus-2 for the game. His possession numbers were the second worst on the team. He had a 31.3 Corsi percentage (the Blackhawks had five shots for and 11 against with him on the ice in 5-on-5 situations), according to extraskater.com.

Versteeg's numbers weren't an anomaly. He's struggled throughout the series with the Kings and the playoffs. He's a minus-4 for the series and a minus-5 for the playoffs. He's been on the ice for three goals for and eight goals against in 5-on-5 situations in 14 playoff games this season." -http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4683276/versteegs-rough-postseason-continues

I'm pretty sure he was on the ice for the game winning goal last night too. Can anyone verify?

Yeah he was.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
While it's not a trade that fans around the league will turn their heads in Florida's direction, after seeing Versteeg play very similarly in Chicago during these playoffs do really make me appreciate this move. Hawks fans seemed to laugh at this at first, thinking that they got the Versteeg of 2010 and realize now what we all saw. Jimmy Hayes is the perfect 4th line RW. The kid plays with great effort in almost every game and is terrific at screening the opposing goaltender. While we only seemed to see Olsen play well with Gudbranson, maybe that can change in the future on defense. If Jimmy can land us his brother Kevin, that would make this even sweeter.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
Can we all just take a moment to appreciate this trade? We dumped our garbage for Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen, but now that move may even land us Kevin Hayes too.

"Yes, bad games happen for every player, but it’s been a trend most Chicago observers have seen from Versteeg since the playoffs began. He’s consistently been one of the worst players on the ice. He’s not scoring, he’s not defending, he’s not hitting. In the words of the great Bob Slydell from Office Space, “What is it … you’d say … you do here?â€
Versteeg has been a problem for weeks — months even — but Quennville keeps going back to that well. The time for a change was weeks ago. Maybe Wednesday night’s performance was the last straw." - http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/05/29/zawaski-blackhawks-survive-but-changes-needed/

"Versteeg finished with nine shifts and 6:48 of ice time. He was also on the ice for the Kings' first goal and was a minus-2 for the game. His possession numbers were the second worst on the team. He had a 31.3 Corsi percentage (the Blackhawks had five shots for and 11 against with him on the ice in 5-on-5 situations), according to extraskater.com.

Versteeg's numbers weren't an anomaly. He's struggled throughout the series with the Kings and the playoffs. He's a minus-4 for the series and a minus-5 for the playoffs. He's been on the ice for three goals for and eight goals against in 5-on-5 situations in 14 playoff games this season." -http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4683276/versteegs-rough-postseason-continues

I'm pretty sure he was on the ice for the game winning goal last night too. Can anyone verify?

Amen to that.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
The only issue I think we had with this deal was retaining 50% of Steeg's salary, which does suck but not the end of the world.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006

The Panthers paid $2.2 Million of that performance.

Remember the gentleman that gave him that contract we are still putting our faith in to choose who to spend the next millions on. Gives me great confidence.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014

Remember the gentleman that gave him that contract we are still putting our faith in to choose who to spend the next millions on. Gives me great confidence.

Yeah it was a bad signing, but if you think that's the only time a GM has ever made a bad signing in the NHL, you need to pay attention to other teams more often.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
I don't really care about other teams. Why should I. The only team I follow and spend my money on is the Panthers. So what they do good or bad in the way they spend their money and build the team is my only concern.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013

Versteeg was not a bad signing in hindsight. He was one of the main reasons we got a taste of the playoffs. Then, he got hurt, struggled, and we turned him into two quality assets. I'm not upset paying him 2.2 million dollars for a couple of years, we are far from a cap team to have those worries.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
While it was a bad signing in hindsight, Versteeg did well the previous season and he played at a position that we had little depth at.

I don't think Tallon, or anyone would of expected him to not give a **** after getting paid and become a locker room cancer.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Versteeg was not a bad signing in hindsight. He was one of the main reasons we got a taste of the playoffs. Then, he got hurt, struggled, and we turned him into two quality assets. I'm not upset paying him 2.2 million dollars for a couple of years, we are far from a cap team to have those worries.

He was great in that first season for us, and was a key component in getting us to the playoffs. I understand why he was traded, but I do still feel a litter bitter about us paying half his salary. Still, both Hayes and Olsen have looked decent, and I'm excited to see how they do next season.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
He was great in that first season for us, and was a key component in getting us to the playoffs. I understand why he was traded, but I do still feel a litter bitter about us paying half his salary. Still, both Hayes and Olsen have looked decent, and I'm excited to see how they do next season.

There was no room for the Hawks to get him otherwise and I'm not sure many teams would have been interested in him.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

It sucks but our hands were tied with that contract. 4.4 for a floating winger that is in a slump has close to a negative value.

Atleast the 2.2 million won't hurt(hopefully) who the Panthers can go after/re-sign for the life of that contract. Don't see us becoming a cap team till possibly we re-sign Barkov.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I don't really care about other teams. Why should I. The only team I follow and spend my money on is the Panthers. So what they do good or bad in the way they spend their money and build the team is my only concern.
Well the point is, there no other GM you're going to get in here that's going hit 100% on every signing.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
While it was a bad signing in hindsight, Versteeg did well the previous season and he played at a position that we had little depth at.

I don't think Tallon, or anyone would of expected him to not give a **** after getting paid and become a locker room cancer.
There was already signs of that during his contract year, especially towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. Many of us, myself included, doomed that contract from the day it was signed.

It's good to see that Tallon learned from his mistake with 1-way streaky wingers and didn't overpay to keep Boyes. Whether Steeg's history with DT had anything to do with the contract he received, who knows.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
There was already signs of that during his contract year, especially towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. Many of us, myself included, doomed that contract from the day it was signed.

It's good to see that Tallon learned from his mistake with 1-way streaky wingers and didn't overpay to keep Boyes. Whether Steeg's history with DT had anything to do with the contract he received, who knows.

Oh I agree, and remember posters on here who didn't like it from the start.

IIRC I was hoping that the decline in performance was due to his injury, and that he would be back to 20/25+ goal seasons once healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad