Waived: Vermette put on waivers for buy-out (Now Official)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So did Domi-Hanza-Duke

I remember being mad that domi and duclair got broken up. Am I misremembering?

No you didn't.

Duke got shoved to the third and fourth lines when he got into Tippett's doghouse.

But it also goes to Tippett's philosophy that he keeps two guys paired on the same line and then switches around the third.

And yeah.... Domi - Hanzal - Duke also kicked big time ass. Especially late in games when the kids' speed really took over against the opposing D-men who had high minutes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Im a big fan of Patrick,kinda reminds me of Seguin, but I just wanna say that you always blast people who rave about prospects and question if they've ever watched them play and disupte their opinions even when you've never seen them play yourself, but here you are doing the same thing. Learn some consistency...

At least I'm truthful and explained how I arrived at my opinion, and asked I for hbk's opinion who has covers the junior circuit more than most.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I am ok on this move. I liked Vermette 1.0. But not Vermette 2.0. Even though Vermette 1.0 was scratched in Chicago he was a major reason they won the cup that year. He played strong defensively and really solidified his line. Quenneville nearly cost them the series against Anaheim by scratching Terravinen and him in one of the games.

1. I think Chayka had a big piece in this one, Vermette was on the decline. His possession skills and penalty +/- as RT pointed out were major factors that outweighed his FO% strengths. Vermette was on the decline last year and it wasn't going to get better this season.

2. I think Richardson's play was a big reason. He played very well with Doan. So we have Hanzal and Richardson as locks. Richardson was > Vermette.

3. I think they are comfortable with Strome and Dvo. They likely also think Strome, Dvo, Dauphin and Gaudet can cover the last 2 spots and maybe fill in if Hanzal does get injured. There really isn't a replacement for Hanzal anyway. I was impressed with Dauphin and Gaudet. Neither looked out of place last year and I thought looked better than Vermette in limited roles.

4. Why not save some money - plus play with a younger player who need minutes to get better. Why pay Vermette 3+ million and be a 4th line guy. Plus releasing him now gives him a chance elsewhere. I am guessing someone can use him.

That's my take - I think it had little to do with actual salary and certainly not for an upcoming trade or move.

I agree, and maybe some of the lesser players like Gaudet and Dauphin are farther ahead than we think. With the AHL team in Tucson, we will likely see much shuffling this year giving the kids more experience and confidence.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
At least I'm truthful and explained how I arrived at my opinion, and asked I for hbk's opinion who has covers the junior circuit more than most.

Are you saying other people, who give their honest option aren't being truthful when you snarkilly ask them if they've ever actually watched the player play?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They were broken up. And it was stupid.

You have to learn to play with more that one or two players. You have to consider flexibility, slumps, injuries etc. I see plenty of positives shuffling players from line to line. Hell, one player having a bad game on a line can disrupt the chemistry causing the entire line to be bad.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Was $3.75M too much to pay for insurance once Hanzel goes down with injury? Or is there a cheaper insurance policy available?

The way Vermette played last year I believe Gaudet, Dvo, Strome or Dauphin can pick up the slack.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
How do I know how they arrived at their opinion?

So your saying your opinion is better than anyone elses. Alright, makes sense.

You lambaste people for "stat watching" all the time even if they've actually put in work to analyze a player.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No you didn't.

Duke got shoved to the third and fourth lines when he got into Tippett's doghouse.

But it also goes to Tippett's philosophy that he keeps two guys paired on the same line and then switches around the third.

And yeah.... Domi - Hanzal - Duke also kicked big time ass. Especially late in games when the kids' speed really took over against the opposing D-men who had high minutes.

IIRC Duclair played much better without the puck after he was temporarily demoted to the 3rd line. If we see him on the 3rd line this year its because we are trying to emulate the Pens with 3 scoring lines. Doubt that will happen. Duke will be on the top two lines.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Duke is almost certain to get top six time because the roster GMDT has assembled to date has only three rws right now. Of course there's always the Tippett factor, so maybe we'll still see games where White has more TOI...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
IIRC Duclair played much better without the puck after he was temporarily demoted to the 3rd line. If we see him on the 3rd line this year its because we are trying to emulate the Pens with 3 scoring lines. Doubt that will happen. Duke will be on the top two lines.

Duke is almost certain to get top six time because the roster GMDT has assembled to date has only three rws right now. Of course there's always the Tippett factor, so maybe we'll still see games where White has more TOI...

I don't mind shuffling lines one bit. There are numerous reasons it's done, and not all reasons has to do with our team.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Don't think I saw anyone mention this earlier in the thread. Here's the reason why the Yotes bought out Vermette now and not back in June.

Waiting for the 2nd buyout window would have given the team an opportunity to explore trade options before committing to buying Vermette out. As well as the possibility some team might claim him on waivers.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
The way Vermette played last year I believe Gaudet, Dvo, Strome or Dauphin can pick up the slack.

Strome will exceed him. Richardson will honestly probably do better on the third line where Vermette was going to be slotted in. And Gaudet or Dauphin will do a good job on the fourth. Or ideally Dvo will earn the 3C spot and everything will have worked out perfectly.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome will exceed him. Richardson will honestly probably do better on the third line where Vermette was going to be slotted in. And Gaudet or Dauphin will do a good job on the fourth. Or ideally Dvo will earn the 3C spot and everything will have worked out perfectly.

Yup. I think Strome will surprise many, and I mean that in a good way.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Yup. I think Strome will surprise many, and I mean that in a good way.
I really hope this is true. However, have you truly looked at his physical makeup? My opinion is he'll be manhandled early, sent to the 'Runners and end up having a decent (notice how I didn't say GREAT) year there. My biggest fear is that he'll get broken and lose a year on IR. I shutter to think of that scenario...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Don't think I saw anyone mention this earlier in the thread. Here's the reason why the Yotes bought out Vermette now and not back in June.

Waiting for the 2nd buyout window would have given the team an opportunity to explore trade options before committing to buying Vermette out. As well as the possibility some team might claim him on waivers.

Now we know the rest of the story.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I really hope this is true. However, have you truly looked at his physical makeup? My opinion is he'll be manhandled early, sent to the 'Runners and end up having a decent (notice how I didn't say GREAT) year there. My biggest fear is that he'll get broken and lose a year on IR. I shutter to think of that scenario...

He can't go to the AHL. I believe 100% he will be in the NHL.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

Strome can't go to the AHL. And he was 194lbs last season according to Erie's site. 10lbs increase from when he was drafted. So he'll likely be 200-205lbs this season. That isn't huge, but he won't get manhandled by guys like Kopitar or Getzlaf. And we do have Hanzal to take them on.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Strome can't go to the AHL. And he was 194lbs last season according to Erie's site. 10lbs increase from when he was drafted. So he'll likely be 200-205lbs this season. That isn't huge, but he won't get manhandled by guys like Kopitar or Getzlaf. And we do have Hanzal to take them on.
Also J53, thanks for enlightening me on Strome's ability to go to the AHL (explain why?). Weight gain is great, but can he play at that weight (produce)?

I like your thinking on Hanzal, but WOW- missing 128 games out of the last 458 is a little discerning. I don't see Marty as an enforcer, but stranger things have happened. Heck, Tippett played D & D more than I ever thought he would.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Also J53, thanks for enlightening me on Strome's ability to go to the AHL (explain why?). Weight gain is great, but can he play at that weight (produce)?

I like your thinking on Hanzal, but WOW- missing 128 games out of the last 458 is a little discerning. I don't see Marty as an enforcer, but stranger things have happened. Heck, Tippett played D & D more than I ever thought he would.

Yeah I heard tip has a level 97 paladin. :sarcasm:

Strome can't play in the ahl because of the ohl, dvorak has had enough seasons to go the ahl now, strome is still in the NHL or ohl stage. Not sure on the exact rules, not sure if it's season or age or both, but yeah it's because of an agreement between the NHL and ohl. As far as the weight we'll have to wait and see how he looks at the main camp.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Players drafted from the CHL and other Canadian juniors cannot be assigned to the AHL unless they are age 20 or have played 4 junior seasons.

It's an agreement between the CHL and NHL that the teams can only assign those players back to their junior teams if they don't stay on the NHL roster.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

I don't expect there to be any issue with Strome putting on weight. I'd expect him to finish at around 215-225 by the time he's done growing.

And no Hanzal isn't an enforcer. There could be an issue when he does eventually get hurt. Depending on how Dvo does, we could end up in a situation where Strome, Richardson, Gaudet, and Dauphin are our centers which would really make us regret cutting Vermette. Moving one of Richardson or Vermette to RW could end up being something we regret.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad