Speculation: Vermette and Michalek

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
In a world where a David Poile decision in 2012 doesn't decide fair market value for all players on all 30 NHL franchises.

Teams looking for that final piece for the Grail generally don't pay fair market value at the TDL. They either fleece or get fleeced.

With how rare two-way career 0.53 PPG centers who are money in the dot are available at a TDL, Maloney should absolutely demand a 1st+ for Vermette if he were to move him. And I'm pretty sure he'd get that return.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Teams looking for that final piece for the Grail generally don't pay fair market value at the TDL. They either fleece or get fleeced.

With how rare two-way career 0.53 PPG centers who are money in the dot are available at a TDL, Maloney should absolutely demand a 1st+ for Vermette if he were to move him. And I'm pretty sure he'd get that return.

Thanks for reinforcing why Gaustad's return isn't relevant to this discussion....

I'm fine with wanting/demanding a 1st, and I suppose if Vermette was that missing piece, they might get it....but with getzlaf and Kesler, I don't see Anaheim thinking he is the missing piece and being willing to get fleeced.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
In a world where Paul "4th Line" Gaustad gets a 1st, how does Vermette get less than a 1st? His solid offensive production, speed, Selke-caliber defensive play, leadership, and caphit (3.75M) are all enticing to any team needing to shore up their center depth for a Cup run. Also remember that Vermette has SCF experience as well.

It depends on quality of the draft. Ie if not considered a deep draft then teams more apt to deal their first. 2015 is considered a very deep draft (at the moment). That being said I would be asking a 1st+ for Vermette.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for reinforcing why Gaustad's return isn't relevant to this discussion....

I'm fine with wanting/demanding a 1st, and I suppose if Vermette was that missing piece, they might get it....but with getzlaf and Kesler, I don't see Anaheim thinking he is the missing piece and being willing to get fleeced.

Depends on how much they covet Vermette. Anaheim's forward depth is pretty solid with a lot of young talent, so I don't think they would be interested. But Vermette would fit nicely into their system.

Although Chicago did pick up Brad Richards, he is declining and probably better suited to wing at this point in his career. Kruger and Shaw are firmly bottom 6 centers. I can certainly see them inquiring about Vermette. Plenty of other teams w/ Cup aspirations should be interested too.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Vermette will easily fetch a first if a team thinks it can re-sign him. How many 2/3 two way types that are elite on the dot with no major red flags hit the UFA market every year?

BAdvocate

Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Vermette will easily fetch a first if a team thinks it can re-sign him. How many 2/3 two way types that are elite on the dot with no major red flags hit the UFA market every year?

Reminder this thread is about a trade with the Ducks...There's no way they are paying Getzlaf, Kesler, and able to pay Vermette's UFA price tag....he'd have to be a rental.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'd open with Ritchie. When they push back (as expected) I counter with Etem and a 1st and then I expect we talk Kerdiles + 2015 1st.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That's exactly right. Provided they want both, and we are retaining 50% on both.

That's just Vermette. Prices are high. Regeir is noted for these types of ridiculous asking prices and getting it.

BAdvocate

Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
The very least he's worth is a 1st round pick, regardless.

To the Coyotes maybe....good luck finding 5 gm's willing to give up their teams first in the 2015 draft....good luck getting 5 non coyote fans on the main trade thread to agree he'd fetch a 1st....lol

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
To the Coyotes maybe....good luck finding 5 gm's willing to give up their teams first in the 2015 draft....good luck getting 5 non coyote fans on the main trade thread to agree he'd fetch a 1st....lol

It's not a question of fair value. The inquiry was what the asking price would be. Two entirely different questions. This is about absolute extortion. I make no apologies for it and I cite Regeir's (our AGM) asking price for Moulson and Vanek as comparables/guidelines.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Vermette is a solid 2C. in what world are those not worth a 1st round pick at the deadline?

BAdvocate

Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
That's a great title for a thread on the main board....

And it's up.....early returns are nay....not that I'm saying they are right....

Career 0.53 PPG player who can pot 20 goals and play shutdown minutes - that's a solid 2C. And that's before factoring in the fact that Vermette is probably one of the top 5 faceoff guys in the entire league.

Well, you've convinced yourself and the others who agree with you....that's a start...well not really....I agree he's a solid 2c....that's not what we're debating though...

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
And it's up.....early returns are nay....not that I'm saying they are right....

Well, you've convinced yourself and the others who agree with you....that's a start...well not really....I agree he's a solid 2c....that's not what we're debating though...

Yawn. HF trade values != real world trade values. I'm sure no one on HF would have ever thought a 39 year old MSL would return 2 1sts AND Callahan, or Doug Murray 2 2nds. If a GM is willing to pony up at the TDL, he will. Preconceived notions of fair value go out the window on that day.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I'd say it's an adversarial thread title that absolutley begs the Internet to come out with contrarian views. There's nothing the Internet loves more than taking a presumptuous stance down a peg.

Story of the 21st. century.

BAdvocate

Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I'd say it's an adversarial thread title that absolutley begs the Internet to come out with contrarian views. There's nothing the Internet loves more than taking a presumptuous stance down a peg.

That makes it easier to find the meaningful responses...which there are quite a few.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad