Post-Game Talk: Verizon Capitals vs. BB&T Panthers. 7:30pm. 10.20.2016 (The Stadium Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Passing looks better for some periods... but small sample size blablabla.

Honestly, after watching 1st periods two times both times I didn't care if we'd win the game in the end. I liked what I saw and then... just went to bed. Waking up in the morning... I went to do my morning stuff and then maybe in an hour or so asked myself what was the score? Completely disinterested in actual points.

Hard to argue over something right now.

Surely, World Cup was a factor to this too. Guys are prepared differently, will have to play very long season and are hardly on the same page, same trajectory regarding physical peaks and so on. It's just rather meaningless part of the season right now. I guess many recognize that this season especially.

There is only trade deadline as semi meaningful event for Caps in the near future.

Peace, guys!

Yep, deadline... then playoffs. Even deadline is less interesting because the team is complete.

IMO, there is nothing we can learn about this group any more in the regular season. We know general ability of each player, of the system -- unless a brick falls on Trotz's head, I doubt he'll make more than small adjustments to his vision. Same Caps, same system, same pile of regular season points, and same question marks about ability to score and generally get it done in the playoffs. Not our first rodeo, haha.

Just watching games in the background for nice plays (thank you, Orlov!).

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Am I the only who thinks (certainly with the exception of the 2nd period and some of the Isles game) that their passing, puck movement, and D to O transition has been looking crisper, faster and more polished. That was especially so in the Avs game and may have been helped by tired Av legs - but it looks to me like they've focused a bit on moving the puck with more pace and purpose (and less chip it to space and hope to win a race).

Absolutely, its looked better than how it looked to end the season last year. Right now, through 4 games, they are looking like the way they looked before the storm break last season. Which I said was the best I had ever seen a Caps team play.

And the Swede line has been really fun to watch - their ability to pass the puck in tight quarters, and the way they key off each other is pretty interesting to watch.

Agreed again. Both Bura and Mojo are doing some good work. And its been a joy to watch Nicky so far. The guy is criminally underappreciated.

Lines also look balanced right now. None of the lines look like we're sending them out there just to kill time. Every line has a purpose and they are executing it properly.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Are any of you who are saying they don't care about the season and it's boring to watch a 1st place team even hockey fans?

Sounds like spoiled band wagoners crying we didn't win the cup yet

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Are any of you who are saying they don't care about the season and it's boring to watch a 1st place team even hockey fans?

we have pretty much been thru this. the caps have had numerous teams that could should have gone deep or won the cup. they failed. the team that went to the finals was an also ran.

after two presidents trophy teams flamed out, its hard to get jacked up til the games count for something.

I watched the 4 games. Holtby could win another Vezina. The d looks solid. Eller looks good. All the high end forwards look nominal. They could roll over the league again. But if they do, its hard to enjoy it.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

You can call me whatever you want from your high tower, haha.
If regular season 1st place genuinely makes you happy, I'm actually jealous, that's like me in 2010.
But actually I think I am the truest hockey fan at this point, because I've advanced to a stage where I am enjoying specific hockey plays without needing other context :)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

You're not a real hockey fan until you're so jaded someone accuses you of not being a hockey fan.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The woman who gave me birth just told me over dinner that her favourite player is Sidney Crosby, and that she's glad he won another championship with the Penguins. My own dear mother who has been buying me Capitals jerseys, tickets and t-shirts ever since I was 10 years old is a closet Pens fan.

This is my attempt to introduce her to hockey that back-fired big time.

I want to puke, this can't be. :help:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The woman who gave me birth just told me over dinner that her favourite player is Sidney Crosby, and that she's glad he won another championship with the Penguins. My own dear mother who has been buying me Capitals jerseys, tickets and t-shirts ever since I was 10 years old is a closet Pens fan.

There are no words. This is terrible. :cry:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Yep, deadline... then playoffs. Even deadline is less interesting because the team is complete.
IMO, there is nothing we can learn about this group any more in the regular season. We know general ability of each player, of the system -- unless a brick falls on Trotz's head, I doubt he'll make more than small adjustments to his vision. Same Caps, same system, same pile of regular season points, and same question marks about ability to score and generally get it done in the playoffs. Not our first rodeo, haha.
Just watching games in the background for nice plays (thank you, Orlov!).
I disagree because I still enjoy the games, but I agree that thsi RS isn't the most exciting thing ever. They are a good team, and it's possible they have decome better than the last year's PT winning team. We got Eller, Orpik is healthy, Burakovsky is more mature, I like Backstrom a lot so far. The little details are the only things that are going to change. The question unanswered is whether they can elevate their game and adapt in playoffs.

Dear God, this is awful to hear :( you need to win another World Championship so you can plug your ears with 2 medals when your mother talks about hockey.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA

Maybe you'll find out you were adopted at one point and you can feel better. No way you can be related by blood to a Pens fan.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

I think that's a bit of an overreaction. I renewed my NHL package and have watched hockey every day since the season started. But this team isn't missing the playoffs. And we have all seen this teams playoff problems haven't been the seeding. So people aren't going to get worked up with a September shootout loss to the pens, or a 2 period victory over the Panthers. its more about watching how this team prepares and gets ready for the playoffs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
There are no words. This is terrible. :cry:

We were originally talking about Laine, Matthews, McDavid, Kane and watching their highlights. Here's where the exchange began.

Her: "Show me Crosby's highlights now."
Me: "Uh, okay"
*Shows highlights of him winning the SC and the WCH*
Her (after the video ends): "He's a great hockey player, and an even better kid, he's well mannered just like you. I'm glad he won the Stanley Cup."
Me: "Whaaat?!?"
Her: "Yeah, he's my favourite player and I like the fact that he's the captain of the Penguins and TC and he led both teams to victory."
*long silence, as I am in utter disbelief*
Her: "What's the matter?"
Me: "TC is fine, but I absolutely hate those damn Penguins!
Her: "Why?"
Me: "Because they beat us all the ****ing time and their douchy, arrogant fans make fun of us all the time!!"
Her: "Well, if they beat you all the time, it's probably because they're better and therefore they deserve to win."
*long silence again, but this time I'm angry and about to leave the room*
Her (apologetic, realising she'd struck a nerve): "Wait honey, it's okay. I'm sure your boys will win eventually, and I'll contribute to your ticket to go see them in Washington when they get to the finals."
Me: "Yeah one day we'll kick their butts and I'll be in the front row applauding."

Dear God, this is awful to hear :( you need to win another World Championship so you can plug your ears with 2 medals when your mother talks about hockey.

They actually gave me 3 medals. There was one medal for each player, plus 10 medals for the staff. We only had 4 staff members (head coach, assistant, photograph and GM). So there were 6 extra medals, they gave one to my brother and one to my sister who came to cheer us on during the finals. These medals are huge though, I put an iPhone next to them to give you a scale. My ears aren't that big unfortunately. I guess I'll just have to get my mother to be a McDavid fan instead.
24fe3b7.jpg

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
They actually gave me 3 medals. There was one medal for each player, plus 10 medals for the staff. We only had 4 staff members (head coach, assistant, photograph and GM). So there were 6 extra medals, they gave one to my brother and one to my sister who came to cheer us on during the finals. These medals are huge though, I put an iPhone next to them to give you a scale. My ears aren't that big unfortunately. I guess I'll just have to get my mother to be a McDavid fan instead.
This is awesome :yo:

kmart

Jan 23, 2008

she probably just wanted to aggravate/troll you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad