Veleno/Hayton/Farabee

Who's the best available player between Veleno/Hayton/Farabee

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I have Farabee #8 Overall, so i voted him above both Veleno and Hayton. Skill level is there, compete level is there, skating is there, and i think he has the extra gear as well. Most importanly, he's a complete player.

Reactions: Peeps

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Hayton just screams someone that will rise his stock as early as next season. At the same time it’s risky to take someone who hasn’t proven yet to have tons of offensive upside but I think I’d take him here

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
i used to have farabee at around 10-13ish range and was pretty happy to take him at 10. Since then Kotkaniemi, Kravtsov, Hayton, Smith and maybe Wilde have passed him for my "tastes".

Which is probably a mistake because Farabee only got better in that period...but so did the other guys.....and it might be "overthinking it" too because Farabee is exactly the kind of player that does well in the new nhl.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
i used to have farabee at around 10-13ish range and was pretty happy to take him at 10. Since then Kotkaniemi, Kravtsov, Hayton, Smith and maybe Wilde have passed him for my "tastes".

Which is probably a mistake because Farabee only got better in that period...but so did the other guys.....and it might be "overthinking it" too because Farabee is exactly the kind of player that does well in the new nhl.
I don't understand the Wilde hype. The kid was awful in the last tournament he was in and he has showed low hockey iq with mediocre defensive play.

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
Hi everyone.

Joe Veleno

For me it all started with Veleno. He had PPG progression every year in the Q. He was an important factor in the Sea Dogs President Cup win with 8 goals in the playoffs tied for 3rd best in his team at age 17.5.

This year was as we all know a two part year. The worst team in the league and then one of the best. Would have probably scored 100+ pts with the Voltigeurs alone. And scored more than 30 goals. Based on his 33 games stint with them.

With those info, I add that Veleno is a center, and for me centers are the most important players in the NHL. So when you have the chance to draft them, you do. Also, this draft is weak in the C position and rich in the D position. So for me it's just easier for him to get into the 1st round, let alone the top 15.

But then I start reading about him here, every time someone post. I scout the Voltigeurs playoff run. The U18. I'm reading FC draft book, Hockey News draft book and the Black Book. I get very confused.

The Hockey News seem to label him as a playmaker with good upside. FC is the same thing. Labels him as a terrific playmaker with room to grow. Then I come across the Black Book. First of all the ranking out of the top 31 shock me.

What I really like about the BB, is the little notes from the scout. This for me tells everything. Most of them says he will end up being a 3rd liner. Some says he will become a winger because of poor hockey sense. Others talk PK guy.

What I see in him is just the begining. I can't believe this guy cannot improve year after year from 18 to 21. He did it in the Q from 16 to 18. I see a lot of commentary about his excellent work ethic and commitment to be a better player every year.

He has excellent wheels and vision. He is a playmaker and it's alright because he is a center.

He was 23rd for SOG by forward. Considering there's 18 teams and 6 spots on top 6, he was 23rd out of 108 top 6 players. For a guy that lack scoring, he's trying.

So that's where I'm at now. I was putting him in the same class of talent as Farabee and Hayton. But now I have doubt to the extend of where I wouldn't pick him before those two because of all the negative things I keep hearing about him not scoring enough and only being good for his skating and passing abilities.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like Barzal - sign me up.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
With the Stars at 13, I’d be happy with any of them. Veleno and Farabee are equal, I gave the edge to Veleno as a centre. Hayton while very good is a step below. Has huge potential to increase his production next year is massive.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Hayton is the best C of the 3 .. I really like Farabee's motor its close between those 2 and Veleno in 3rd.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
here are my concerns about Farabee. First his production needs to be put into perspective since he played with two superior players who the majority of attention was paid to. Second, he can't beat guys out wide. For a " speedy" 160 lb winger he should be able to beat guys to the outside on a regular basis, but he can't only time he gains an advantage to the outside is with stickhandling which is a good skill of his. If he is not able to to beat guys outside at 160, how is he going to be able to do it at 180 which should be his playing weight.

To me this guy is as milquetoast as it gets. He will play in the NHL but i see Scottie Upshall here and nothing more.

Reactions: Exit Dose and Peeps

Peeps

May 24, 2017
What are the major flaws and pros of the three?

Hayton:
Pros : Complete 2 way centerman
Flaws : First stride + offensive upside

Veleno:
Pros : Elite playmaker, Elite skater, leadership qualities, defensive awareness
Flaws : Lack of goalscoring + hockey IQ ?

Farabee:
Pros : Complete 2 way player
Flaws : Size right now (can be fixed in 3 years)

So Hayton is complete but some people would say his offensive upside is either lower than the other two or that it's still has room to grow since he wasn't the top guy yet in SSM. Also his skating could be better. Rest is fine.

Veleno seems to be a really good playmaker and skater. Can also win FO and play defense. But is lacking scoring touch. Also people question his hockey IQ.

Farabee seem to be the one with less problems. Good everywhere but still small for the type of game he plays now. But the team that draft him can be patient and let him fill out 10-15 lbs.

I feel at this point Farabee is the best option. Got everything. Will get bigger (his only flaw) and when the NHL call will ring he will be an instant success. Skating and skill is the new NHL.

Hayton has a complete game, but from what I read here and in the scouting books he lack true top prospects skills. Plus his first stride (essential for NHL elite players).

And then Veleno. He has the wheels, but everyone pinpoint his lack of scoring and hockey IQ/sense.

Skills + hockey IQ + good skater ? (NHL formula for success?)

Farabee : 3/3

Hayton : 2/3 (lack skating, he is smart and skilled, but the opinion is that it has it's limit)

Veleno : 2/3 (lack the hockey IQ)

What you guys think?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I agree with what you just stated. Finally, I have Farabee a tad higher than Veleno, he checks all the boxes. Veleno is a bit bigger, better in puck protection, but has a weaker shot and has less offensive creativity (I don't buy into the poor IQ for Veleno, but it isn't at Farabee level). Hayton has similar skills, but nothing high-end and is lacking separation speed compare to the other two, I think his 2-way game is overblown, speed is essential in order to excel in that aspect of the gameI wouldn't compare him with Bergeron, he is on par with the other two here IMO. All 3 are great competitors.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad