Veleno/Hayton/Farabee

Who's the best available player between Veleno/Hayton/Farabee

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Hi everyone.

I asked the same question last year before the draft http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/glass-necas-pettersson.2359779/ and I would like to know your opinion about this one this year.

Joseph Veleno at eliteprospects.com
Joel Farabee at eliteprospects.com
Barrett Hayton at eliteprospects.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My top 10 (*not in order, except for Dahlin and Svechnikov):

1) Dahlin
2) Svechnikov
3) Zadina
4) Wahlstrom
5) Kotkaniemi
6) Dobson
7) Hughes
8) Bouchard
9) Tkachuk
10) Hayton

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Veleno

For me it all started with Veleno. He had PPG progression every year in the Q. He was an important factor in the Sea Dogs President Cup win with 8 goals in the playoffs tied for 3rd best in his team at age 17.5.

This year was as we all know a two part year. The worst team in the league and then one of the best. Would have probably scored 100+ pts with the Voltigeurs alone. And scored more than 30 goals. Based on his 33 games stint with them.

With those info, I add that Veleno is a center, and for me centers are the most important players in the NHL. So when you have the chance to draft them, you do. Also, this draft is weak in the C position and rich in the D position. So for me it's just easier for him to get into the 1st round, let alone the top 15.

But then I start reading about him here, every time someone post. I scout the Voltigeurs playoff run. The U18. I'm reading FC draft book, Hockey News draft book and the Black Book. I get very confused.

The Hockey News seem to label him as a playmaker with good upside. FC is the same thing. Labels him as a terrific playmaker with room to grow. Then I come across the Black Book. First of all the ranking out of the top 31 shock me.

What I really like about the BB, is the little notes from the scout. This for me tells everything. Most of them says he will end up being a 3rd liner. Some says he will become a winger because of poor hockey sense. Others talk PK guy.

What I see in him is just the begining. I can't believe this guy cannot improve year after year from 18 to 21. He did it in the Q from 16 to 18. I see a lot of commentary about his excellent work ethic and commitment to be a better player every year.

He has excellent wheels and vision. He is a playmaker and it's alright because he is a center.

He was 23rd for SOG by forward. Considering there's 18 teams and 6 spots on top 6, he was 23rd out of 108 top 6 players. For a guy that lack scoring, he's trying.

So that's where I'm at now. I was putting him in the same class of talent as Farabee and Hayton. But now I have doubt to the extend of where I wouldn't pick him before those two because of all the negative things I keep hearing about him not scoring enough and only being good for his skating and passing abilities.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barrett Hayton

Excellent progression from last year. Did great in the season, and did the same thing in the playoff. And for me the playoff production was important. Because he wasn't their top guy. But he still manage to be really effective.

Like Veleno I value a lot Hayton because he is a center. Also like Veleno and I forgot to mention that, they both have great size for the next step. So we don't have to worry a single second about that.

Hayton is a really intelligent forward imo. A jack of all trade. 5v5 top 6, PP and PK guy. He has nice hands and an excellent shot. His vision is also real good. I believe he doesn't lack anything expect maybe his skating. But it ain't bad. But could be the reason he's not 1C in the NHL.

For me, he's the safest pick of the 1st round. We know he's going to the NHL. We know he'll be able to at least play 3C. We just don't know if he can bring more next year and show more skills when he'll be the top guy.

I believe he will be able to be better because they took their time with him in SSM. The progression for him was at the right pace.

I see in him Ryan O'Reilly. One of the best 2C in the league if not the best. A complete player. Also for me, O'Reilly isn't out of place as 1C.

Was able to watch him in the OHL playoff. I saw a real effective forward. And when the occasion was right, he was pulling these real nice move and awesome goals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joel Farabee

And once again, another player with an excellent progression from last year. Increase his production by 17 pts in the USHL by playing 4 less games.

Probably the best 2-way forward of the draft for me. Like Hayton he can do it all. But seem to be more skilled than Hayton. A better skater, his hockey sense is real good and he's able to produce everywhere. I was really impressed by him during the U18. He also seem like a constant player during these tournaments.

He's 6'0'' but 161.66 lbs. That's my only concern since he plays a 2-way game. Your body get more fatigued when you check other player, when you back check more and when you play in every situation.

A guy like Kopitar that plays everywhere, get it done easily because he's so big and heavy. He can burn a lot more.

So if Farabee wants to play that type of game, I feel he should be bigger down the line. My question about him is: is he enough skilled to rely more on his ability to produce points, than to play a complete 2-way game at the NHL level if he doesn't get bigger?

I feel that it's a yes for me. He's fast, has a good vision and a real good shot. So it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being a 1-2 LW with a 25-35 production or even 30-30/35 production.

Kinda what Trocheck was able to do the last 3 years.

But, he isn't a center. So I remove a little bit of value from him. But not to the point of where he's not one of the best forward available. For me he is top 15 all day long.

So there you go. That's what I see in them.

Veleno : 1C elite (less likely) 2C 2-way (most likely) 3C 2-way (worst case)
Hayton : 1C 2-way elite (less likely) 2C 2-way elite (most likely) 3C 2-way (worst case)
Farabee : 1LW 2-way elite (good chance) 2LW 2-way elite (most likely) 3LW 2-way (worst case)

I would like to know in order of 1-2-3 who you got between the three. Also your little scouting for all of them. And your projection.

There's also a poll if you don't want to write and only say your #1.

Thank you :)

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Hayton has the edge in every category for me other than speed . I also watched him during the playoffs several times and he was by far the hounds most effective player in my opinion .Was fustratimg to see the katchouk , frost line out there so much when Hayton was clearly dominating every shift he was on the ice . His point totals don’t concern me the slightest , you can count on those going way up next season when he’s the number 1 center .

Reactions: Peeps

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Farabee >Veleno>Hayton

Really a big fan of Farabee. Kid is so underrated. Very good leader, great hockey sense, speed and love for the game to get better. I also like Veleno a lot. Both are going to be very good players. I’m not a big fan of Hayton, I think he has become quite overrated and played on a stacked team. I think Farabee will be a solid first liner, Veleno a very good 2nd line center and I think Hayton tops out as a 3rd line center.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Somewhat off-the-wall prediction: Dellandrea is picked before at least one of them and is better than at least one of them.

Farabee and Hayton are also guys I can see cracking the top 8. Not so with Veleno.

CRYHAVOC

Sep 29, 2017
Farabee >Veleno>Hayton

Really a big fan of Farabee. Kid is so underrated. Very good leader, great hockey sense, speed and love for the game to get better. I also like Veleno a lot. Both are going to be very good players. I’m not a big fan of Hayton, I think he has become quite overrated and played on a stacked team. I think Farabee will be a solid first liner, Veleno a very good 2nd line center and I think Hayton tops out as a 3rd line center.
Agreed, the Isles could conceivably be able to pick two of these kids, I would prefer Farabee and Veleno, as I feel speed is an overriding factor, among their other attributes in why i would be more than happy with those two.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Hayton has the edge in every category for me other than speed . I also watched him during the playoffs several times and he was by far the hounds most effective player in my opinion .Was fustratimg to see the katchouk , frost line out there so much when Hayton was clearly dominating every shift he was on the ice . His point totals don’t concern me the slightest , you can count on those going way up next season when he’s the number 1 center .
Would Hayton be a good fit for the WJHC team?

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Would Hayton be a good fit for the WJHC team?

Absolutely. He can play anywhere in the lineup, top line or main checking assignment. He can play C or on the wing. He is exactly the kind of player you pick since he can be a part of the changes as the tournament goes along, be it injury related or performance related.

Menwithouthat tricks

Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for posting - I was pondering this as well. Your positional summaries are very clarifying. As an Islander fan, our system needs center depth, so Hayton first, followed by Farabee. IF the Isles keep their two picks, I'd be happy with Hayton-Farabee, but if Hayton is gone, I'd go with Farabee-Smith.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
One other thing to add about Hayton... He was on the ice in the last minute of game when down a goal, tied, or up a goal. On a stacked team like the Soo had, that says a TON for a 17 year old. Scholastic Player of the Year in the OHL also shows he is a sharp kid, on and off the ice.

I actually remember watching Paul Coffey and Wayne Gretzky play here in the Soo as well as hundreds more, and I can't think of too many kids I have hoped for success more than I do for Hayton. He is simply a "what it takes" kid, he will do what is asked. You get out what you put in.

Reactions: Bfantz and Peeps

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Fair poll. Veleno for me, with Farabee 2nd closer to him than to Hayton, but I am open to be wrong about this one considering how polarizing Veleno has been in this draft.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Farabee

I do have some morbid curiosity about Valeno. Exceptional status and was pegged long ago as supposed to be one of the top picks this year.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
I'd be pissed if the isles take farabee with either pick but that's cause unless it is an ovy laine or svenchnikov etc I hate taking wingers in the first half of the first round

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad