News Article: veleno has gotten stockier / stronger

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If Yzerman kept him out of the NHL this year to protect him from the expansion draft - I do not know what the exact qualifications are - then that is understandable. Otherwise if he isn't in Detroit because he can't play center in the NHL on this particular roster is not a good sign. So for me: upside: 3rd line center; downside: Helmer (ie, 4C).

Selling Helm short. He was a very good 3rd liner when healthy.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Larkin was "Helm with hands"and got to the NHL quite a bit faster than Veleno. The fact it takes a guy a while to actually make it to the NHL is generally not a good sign. Now if he was purposely held back due to the expansion draft, that is a mark in his favor.

By the way, the comparison to Helm was more position (4C), not declaring him to be an exact replica.

Veleno has taken "awhile"? This is his 2nd pro season and a weird Covid season to boot, and he just debuted in it as well. He is progressing pretty much exactly like many late 1st and beyond prospects. There are lots of guys in his draft space that aren't even close to NHL level, so I think you are selling the kid short.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
And Turris. I think Johansen is fine, but I really don't care for Duchene and Turris as guys you try to win with as central pieces to your team.

Johansen is definitely not fine. $8 million per year and he had 36 pts last year in over 60 games, and 18 this year in 40+ games. Since joining NSH he has two 60 pt seasons and he isn't exactly known for some major work ethic from things I have read.

Reactions: Filppula

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This thread title is what I tell myself when I stop eating a clean diet. Takes away the sting.
28271469c61ef49046f85e299bb5de9e.jpg

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I was happy with his game but he was in slightly sheltered matchups and Columbus is pretty bad. Looked like an NHL player 100%, I like his interviews, seems really coachable, and I think he's a hard working introspective kid which is great for development. Great debut, glad to see Blash give him more and more chances as the game went on.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Being a late bloomer isn't a bad thing. It's more important that he is blooming.

And he was a 30th overall pick who is going to make his NHL debut for a cup of coffee in his D+3. It's not like we're talking a top 5 pick who can't crack this shit lineup. There was no need to rush him so we didn't rush him.

Right.
But I think the issue with Veleno right now is that nobody really knows what he is.
It's hard to say. He's played his 3 D+ years in different leagues.
Monster year in the Q - that tailed off pretty badly in that last playoff round.
D+2 year in the AHL was a bit of a dud - though improved in the second half.
D+3 year in Sweden. Hard to say what to make of it.
I think the luster has come off Veleno in most circles.
At one point, and maybe this was just my mistake, I ranked Veleno as our #1 prospect. Turns out, he may still end up being the best of the prospects I had listed at the time.
But I believe it's absolutely fair to say that Veleno's stock has dropped since turning pro.

Doesn't mean he can't/won't be an effective NHLer.

Reactions: ShippinItDaily

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Right.
But I think the issue with Veleno right now is that nobody really knows what he is.
It's hard to say. He's played his 3 D+ years in different leagues.
Monster year in the Q - that tailed off pretty badly in that last playoff round.
D+2 year in the AHL was a bit of a dud - though improved in the second half.
D+3 year in Sweden. Hard to say what to make of it.
I think the luster has come off Veleno in most circles.
At one point, and maybe this was just my mistake, I ranked Veleno as our #1 prospect. Turns out, he may still end up being the best of the prospects I had listed at the time.
But I believe it's absolutely fair to say that Veleno's stock has dropped since turning pro.

Doesn't mean he can't/won't be an effective NHLer.

At one point I was bullish on Veleno during his breakout season in the Q but have cooled a bit since.
He definitely wasn't ready in the AHL last year but turned it around after the WJC and started scoring at a much better pace.
Veleno started out slow in Sweden but after the adjustment period looked like one of the 3 best forwards on Malmo.
First game in Detroit he looked like he belonged in our top 6, generated some nice chances and won most of his faceoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Veleno take a season or two to figure it out on the 3rd line and then make the jump to 2nd line. Like I said in a different thread, if things go well with Veleno I can see the kid becoming our Cirelli.

Reactions: LazyT and MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
At one point I was bullish on Veleno during his breakout season in the Q but have cooled a bit since.
He definitely wasn't ready in the AHL last year but turned it around after the WJC and started scoring at a much better pace.
Veleno started out slow in Sweden but after the adjustment period looked like one of the 3 best forwards on Malmo.
First game in Detroit he looked like he belonged in our top 6, generated some nice chances and won most of his faceoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Veleno take a season or two to figure it out on the 3rd line and then make the jump to 2nd line. Like I said in a different thread, if things go well with Veleno I can see the kid becoming our Cirelli.

I like the kid. I'm just more cautious about my optimism. I can say the same about Albert Johnasson these days. Was probably too high on him... dialed it back a bit.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I like the kid. I'm just more cautious about my optimism. I can say the same about Albert Johnasson these days. Was probably too high on him... dialed it back a bit.

I think there’s some differences here. I don’t think Johansson has really ever given us something to truly be concerned about. Veleno has had extended periods where his offense just doesn’t look like it will translate. Additionally Joe had that outstanding D+1 year that made you really wonder if you found a legit top 6 pivot. Johansson hasn’t given us that much hype yet, he just steadily has proven that it’s not just a flash in the pan.

I think Veleno’s stock was pointing down for most of last year (not to say he was bad, just not as good as D+1 indicated), and it’s pretty flat now. Johansson has been pointing up since we drafted him. His WJC may have flattened that a touch, but his play in the SHL has absolutely kept him pointed up.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think there’s some differences here. I don’t think Johansson has really ever given us something to truly be concerned about. Veleno has had extended periods where his offense just doesn’t look like it will translate. Additionally Joe had that outstanding D+1 year that made you really wonder if you found a legit top 6 pivot. Johansson hasn’t given us that much hype yet, he just steadily has proven that it’s not just a flash in the pan.

I think Veleno’s stock was pointing down for most of last year (not to say he was bad, just not as good as D+1 indicated), and it’s pretty flat now. Johansson has been pointing up since we drafted him. His WJC may have flattened that a touch, but his play in the SHL has absolutely kept him pointed up.

Veleno's never given me something to be concerned about.
He simply wasn't as good as I thought he'd be.
Same with Johansson.
I still see Veleno as better than Johansson, though.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
If he develops into a reliable 3rd line center, and I believe he will, he'll have a good career, it'll help this team get back to the post season, not many will complain about the pick, and they'll still need a top line center.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If he develops into a reliable 3rd line center, and I believe he will, he'll have a good career, it'll help this team get back to the post season, not many will complain about the pick, and they'll still need a top line center.

The ideal situation is Detroit ends up with one of the big 3 next year and rolls a center group of Wright/Lambert/Savoie + Larkin + Veleno.

I get the sense that, come 22-23, we'll have added too much significant talent to have a solid shot at Bedard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad