TSN: Vegas Trading Guidelines (For this season)

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't think they will make any trades until the off-season.

The only asset LV has right now is draft picks, and I don't think they'll trade them for prospects.

I also think the don't take player X if we give you Y deals will wait until the off-season when teams have a concrete picture of the expansion landscape.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well this adds a whole new dimension to things. The Ducks and Lightning better get working on a deal like that so Vegas doesn't snatch up one of their D

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't see why not. I'm sure we'll see at least a few consideration trades before the end of the season.

Because teams will want to wait until they're 100% sure of who they will have/want to protect, which won't occur until the off-season.

i.e: you don't have to protect a pending UFA, and a team might not be sure which pending UFA's they will re-sign. Teams might also still be weighing whether to protect 4 D & 8 skaters, or 3 D & 10 skaters, etc.

I think there will definitely be some of these trades, but I think they'll happen in the off-season.

It will be interesting to see the value LV gets from these deals: it's basically gauging the value of the player the team wants to protect minus the value of the next best available player.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Predators struck a number of deals prior to their expansion draft (which took place on June 26, 1998).

http://prosportstransactions.com/ho...8-10-09&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&submit=Search

Prior to selecting their team, they signed free agents Rob Valiceciv, Jayson More, and Mark Mowers. They also acquired a number of players for "future considerations" which were agreements not to take specific players.

The Kings sent prospects Kimmo Timonen, Marian Cisar and a couple of other players (Jan Vopat and Vitali Yachmenev) in order for the Predators to pass on selecting Jere Karalahti and to select a goalie instead, which would protect the Kings from losing a goalie in the next expansion draft.

Going to be interesting to see how many of these types of deals Vegas will be able to make between the trade deadline and their expansion draft.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The Predators struck a number of deals prior to their expansion draft (which took place on June 26, 1998).

http://prosportstransactions.com/ho...8-10-09&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&submit=Search

Prior to selecting their team, they signed free agents Rob Valiceciv, Jayson More, and Mark Mowers. They also acquired a number of players for "future considerations" which were agreements not to take specific players.

The Kings sent prospects Kimmo Timonen, Marian Cisar and a couple of other players (Jan Vopat and Vitali Yachmenev) in order for the Predators to pass on selecting Jere Karalahti and to select a goalie instead, which would protect the Kings from losing a goalie in the next expansion draft.

Going to be interesting to see how many of these types of deals Vegas will be able to make between the trade deadline and their expansion draft.

Given the number and quality of players available some of those side deals are going to seem like small potatoes compared with what Vegas is going to be able to do.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The picks attained from agreeing not to select a specific player (depending on how high of a pick of course) probably holds higher value than a majority of the players that are going to be available in expansion (with the exception of a few guys).

Teams are only getting more cap strapped, and they will continue to need to move out talent for draft picks.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Because teams will want to wait until they're 100% sure of who they will have/want to protect, which won't occur until the off-season.

i.e: you don't have to protect a pending UFA, and a team might not be sure which pending UFA's they will re-sign. Teams might also still be weighing whether to protect 4 D & 8 skaters, or 3 D & 10 skaters, etc yet.

But if a team can come to an agreement on compensation for Vegas to not draft a specific player early (or to draft a specific player early) it makes it easier for them to shape their roster for the rest of the season.

For example: Minnesota doesn't want to lose a defenseman so they offer to leave Zucker unprotected and a 3rd round pick for Vegas to not select one of their defensemen. Now they can trade a D for a forward and know they won't lose another D in the expansion draft. (This is a completely hypothetical proposal not created for actual consumption.)

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
Vegas picks up the phone to try and acquire the rights to Ilya Kovalchuk from the Devils.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
But if a team can come to an agreement on compensation for Vegas to not draft a specific player early (or to draft a specific player early) it makes it easier for them to shape their roster for the rest of the season.

For example: Minnesota doesn't want to lose a defenseman so they offer to leave Zucker unprotected and a 3rd round pick for Vegas to not select one of their defensemen. Now they can trade a D for a forward and know they won't lose another D in the expansion draft. (This is a completely hypothetical proposal not created for actual consumption.)
These are exactly the types of deals that are going to go down.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I don't see why not. I'm sure we'll see at least a few consideration trades before the end of the season.

Why pay assets to protect a player you may get a better offer to trade .

Example

TML has a boat load of good young players that are exempt but the need a good D and has the room to protect 1

The Ducks have too many player to protect and could uses A good young forward . So why are the Ducks going to trade an asset which I am sure would be decent as their D are good when they could trade that D to the TML for a young exempt asset . Both teams win

Trades like I mention above likely happens in the off season . So why would anyone make a trade now ?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Why pay assets to protect a player you may get a better offer to trade .

Example

TML has a boat load of good young players that are exempt but the need a good D and has the room to protect 1

The Ducks ave too many player to protect and could uses A good young forward . So why are the Ducks going to trade an asset which I am sure would be decent as their D are good when they could trade that D to the TML for a young exempt asset . Both teams win

Totally depends on the situation.

If the player has more value than anything you may take in on a trade, then hold on to the player, and pay a fee to Vegas to ensure he stays.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Are the "I'll give you this if you don't take this guy" trades actually binding? I doubt McPhee would turn on a deal he made but wouldn't that make things interesting?

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007

Anyone remember if selections like Krupp, Richter, and Iafrate were swing for the fences and hope they sign or were they calculated acquisitions based on draft pick compensation when they signed elsewhere as UFA's

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Anyone remember if selections like Krupp, Richter, and Iafrate were swing for the fences and hope they sign or were they calculated acquisitions based on draft pick compensation when they signed elsewhere as UFA's

If Vegas wants to draft an UFA Vegas has to sign him before the draft.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Vegas should try to accumulate as many 1st and 2nd round picks as they can in the next 2-3 drafts. I'd give up a 2nd for them to agree to take Strome and not Pulock or CDH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad