Vegas to host 2024 SuperBowl

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
NY getting the Superbowl wasn't about 9/11.

It was simply a legacy ownership like The Maras weren't about to build a billion dollar stadium without getting something from the league

No it wasn’t. It was 9/11 related.

there are some cities that could host like nashville and Charlotte. They are farther south outdoor stadiums that have enough hotel space.

they don’t want a game in a place that could be delayed due to something like a nor’easter dumping 3 feet of snow or some actress getting frostbite on her…

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
People forget that the fans are part of this too. Do they want to spend a February weekend in cold Cleveland or Miami/NOLA/LA/Vegas/Tampa etc. At least in NY's case, its... New York and theres tons of stuff to do / doubles as one of the worlds most popular tourist destinations.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
People forget that the fans are part of this too. Do they want to spend a February weekend in cold Cleveland or Miami/NOLA/LA/Vegas/Tampa etc. At least in NY's case, its... New York and theres tons of stuff to do / doubles as one of the worlds most popular tourist destinations.
There’s lots of stuff to do in every city

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

Perhaps, but that doesn't change what @Voight (correctly) stated, all cites are not even close to being created equal on the entertainment front.

I live near Boston. There's tons of stuff to do here and I like it here, but by absolutely no means can Boston truly compare to NYC in any way, shape or form.

Reactions: Voight

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

There's a huge difference between what Cleveland offers for entertainment vs Las Vegas.

For example, the residencies currently in town to choose from are:

Carrie Underwood
Usher
Adele
Katy Perry
Bruno Mars
John Legend
Sting
Santana
George Strait
Garth Brooks
Shania Twain
Gwen Stefani
Cher
Luke Bryan
Aerosmith
Keith Urban
Rod Stewart

Reactions: Voight

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
NY getting the Superbowl wasn't about 9/11.

It was simply a legacy ownership like The Maras weren't about to build a billion dollar stadium without getting something from the league
Its clear NFL desperately wanted one in NY. If they built a dome they’d host one every couple of years like Miami and New Orleans. But they built that dump instead.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
No it wasn’t. It was 9/11 related.

there are some cities that could host like nashville and Charlotte. They are farther south outdoor stadiums that have enough hotel space.

they don’t want a game in a place that could be delayed due to something like a nor’easter dumping 3 feet of snow or some actress getting frostbite on her…

I live here but I mean this with all sincerity, Charlotte is probably the blandest city in the USA. That isn't to say the Super Bowl couldn't be held here (I personally don't want to deal with the headache of traffic and whatnot but I know small businesses here would love it), but I remember Indianapolis had to go all out when they hosted that one year, Charlotte would have to do the same and probably then some. There's just not really a draw here to justify such an event. Nashville has the tourist/music/bachelor party thing going, that'd be a no-brainer over Charlotte.

Does anyone remember Jacksonville in 2005? I remember reading something that the city didn't have enough hotels and brought in cruise ships to serve as hotels, but even then people were staying as far away as Orlando and Savannah because of piss poor planning. I think Jax has gotten their shit together since but the league probably won't ever touch the town again. Too bad, could have been a great thing for them but they f***ed up.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I live here but I mean this with all sincerity, Charlotte is probably the blandest city in the USA. That isn't to say the Super Bowl couldn't be held here (I personally don't want to deal with the headache of traffic and whatnot but I know small businesses here would love it), but I remember Indianapolis had to go all out when they hosted that one year, Charlotte would have to do the same and probably then some. There's just not really a draw here to justify such an event. Nashville has the tourist/music/bachelor party thing going, that'd be a no-brainer over Charlotte.

Does anyone remember Jacksonville in 2005? I remember reading something that the city didn't have enough hotels and brought in cruise ships to serve as hotels, but even then people were staying as far away as Orlando and Savannah because of piss poor planning. I think Jax has gotten their shit together since but the league probably won't ever touch the town again. Too bad, could have been a great thing for them but they f***ed up.

in modern Super Bowls you need a minimum hotel capacity. It’s not super large but not all professional sports citues have it.

in the field I work in their is an annual convention. It can only be done in Orlando, chicsgo, and Vegas because only those cities have enough hotel rooms in easy enough access. This is a convention+ a vendor fare. 40,000+ attendees come there.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
IIRC, Vegas has 150K hotel rooms.

(And that doesn't include the Fountainbleu which will probably be completed -- FINALLY -- by 2024.)

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Indianapolis hosted the Super Bowl in 2012 and it was 60 degrees the day of.

Don't tell me cold weather places can't host it again.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

LVRJ (limited free articles/month) with nice interview of Super Bowl committee chair.

Don't see impact of CES in (mid-)January on Super Bowl as they'll be done weeks before February 11 game. MAGIC event should be OK too.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Indianapolis stadium has a roof. It could have been 30 degrees and it wouldn't have affected the game.

Cold weather cities can and has hosted games. Their stadiums just need a roof. Only time it didn't was because it was New York.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Indianapolis stadium has a roof. It could have been 30 degrees and it wouldn't have affected the game.

Cold weather cities can and has hosted games. Their stadiums just need a roof. Only time it didn't was because it was New York.
Cities like Cleveland and Green Bay not being able to host the Super Bowl just because they're "not New York" is a lame excuse.

In fact, the NFL should shy away from placing Super Bowls in Atlanta, Florida, or Texas in the foreseeable future because of certain laws that have been put into place in those states, and in the process move the Pro Bowl to SoFi Stadium.

Cleveland really needs to be able to host a Super Bowl because First Energy Stadium is the oldest NFL venue that has never hosted an NFL playoff game of any kind (we got Art Modell to thank for that).

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Cities like Cleveland and Green Bay not being able to host the Super Bowl just because they're "not New York" is a lame excuse.

In fact, the NFL should shy away from placing Super Bowls in Atlanta, Florida, or Texas in the foreseeable future because of certain laws that have been put into place in those states, and in the process move the Pro Bowl to SoFi Stadium.

Cleveland really needs to be able to host a Super Bowl because First Energy Stadium is the oldest NFL venue that has never hosted an NFL playoff game of any kind (we got Art Modell to thank for that).
I agree with you, if I had a say Green Bay would host a Superbowl.

But alas, I am not Roger Goodell. NFL wants Superbowl to be played in sterile environment with no weather factors.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Green Bay doesn't have enough good hotel rooms! Did you know that many teams visiting Green Bay stay in Appleton? There is a really nice hotel that used to be called the Paper Valley Inn. I think it is the Hilton Appleton now. It is worth the 30 mile bus trip to Lambeau Field from Appleton. I stayed there once for a wedding. I don't know of a hotel in Green Bay that is nearly as nice.

Super Bowl fans don't want to stay at the Hampton Inn or the Best Western or the Quality Inn. Those are fine for me going on vacation, but I am not paying $4K or $5K for one seat at the SB. Those people want a 4 or 5 star hotel, not a 3 star like the above. That Best Western is okay, but it is a plain Jane motel. I have stayed there.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Comment in article I posted above was that 35k hotel rooms was a minimum. (LV has 150K with more on the horizon.)

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Green Bay doesn't have enough good hotel rooms! Did you know that many teams visiting Green Bay stay in Appleton? There is a really nice hotel that used to be called the Paper Valley Inn. I think it is the Hilton Appleton now. It is worth the 30 mile bus trip to Lambeau Field from Appleton. I stayed there once for a wedding. I don't know of a hotel in Green Bay that is nearly as nice.

Super Bowl fans don't want to stay at the Hampton Inn or the Best Western or the Quality Inn. Those are fine for me going on vacation, but I am not paying $4K or $5K for one seat at the SB. Those people want a 4 or 5 star hotel, not a 3 star like the above. That Best Western is okay, but it is a plain Jane motel. I have stayed there.
The Super Bowl is definitely not for the average fan.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
In comparison, Heinz Field, also in the AFC North, is two years younger than First Energy Stadium, but hasn't needed to host a Super Bowl because the Steelers have been frequent playoff participants since the stadium opened, with 14 playoff games hosted there.

And we can thank Butch Davis, the Browns Coach/GM from 2001-04, for that. He snoozed on Ben Rothlisberger in the 2004 draft, and lost, big time. Davis didn't make it to the end of the 2004 season, and his next coaching stop ended in controversy when he presided over NCAA violations at North Carolina. Ironically, Greg Davis, one of the players UNC had to disassociate from, was drafted by the Browns in 2011, he played for them for three seasons.

Let's stop to think a moment and wonder what direction Davis career might have taken if he didn't snooze and lose on Big Ben. He certainly wouldn't have gone through what he went through at UNC, instead he might have coached the Browns to 2 Super Bowl wins, wins that in real life went to the Steelers.

As of now, Davis has burned his bridges with both the NFL and the Power 5 conferences. He hasn't coached in the NFL since largely failing with the Browns, and no Power 5 school has touched him since he was fired from UNC.

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016

I was Indianapolis for that Super Bowl, I wouldn’t say it was Jacksonville bad, the city/state has spent alot of public money for the indoor stadium, the Convention center which is probably the biggest in the Midwest outside of Chicago’s and the city/state is even in the hotel business. Indianapolis does host large sporting events (final 4, indy500) and some very large conventions but Indianapolis was very overwhelmed hosting the Super Bowl. Many stayed 3 hours away in Chicago. Because of lack of hotels some rooms downtown where going for as much as 4000, Indianapolis lacks 4 and 5 star hotels, these are rooms that usually go 150 dollars a night, even 30-40 miles away rooms where going 4 to 5 times as much as usual. The lack of public transportation and night life didn’t help either. I don’t see the NFL going to Indianapolis for the SB again.

The super bowl is a week long event you need various indoor and outdoor venues that can host 1000-10,000+ people and the NFL requires 40,000 rooms within a hour drive. Northern cities are going to need a roof stadium, New York got the Super Bowl because it’s New York City. Philly, Boston, DC, Chicago won’t be hosting a Super Bowl without a indoor stadium, there is no way a smaller city like Cleveland will host one without it.

Between 1967 and 1990 it was either Miami, LA or New Orleans that hosted the Super Bowl except for four times.

With all all of these requirements I think we will see a rotation of LA, Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, Vegas, Phoenix and maybe Houston. If a large northern city builds a indoor stadium maybe the NFL will go there once.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I was Indianapolis for that Super Bowl, I wouldn’t say it was Jacksonville bad, the city/state has spent alot of public money for the indoor stadium, the Convention center which is probably the biggest in the Midwest outside of Chicago’s and the city/state is even in the hotel business. Indianapolis does host large sporting events (final 4, indy500) and some very large conventions but Indianapolis was very overwhelmed hosting the Super Bowl. Many stayed 3 hours away in Chicago. Because of lack of hotels some rooms downtown where going for as much as 4000, Indianapolis lacks 4 and 5 star hotels, these are rooms that usually go 150 dollars a night, even 30-40 miles away rooms where going 4 to 5 times as much as usual. The lack of public transportation and night life didn’t help either. I don’t see the NFL going to Indianapolis for the SB again.

The super bowl is a week long event you need various indoor and outdoor venues that can host 1000-10,000+ people and the NFL requires 40,000 rooms within a hour drive. Northern cities are going to need a roof stadium, New York got the Super Bowl because it’s New York City. Philly, Boston, DC, Chicago won’t be hosting a Super Bowl without a indoor stadium, there is no way a smaller city like Cleveland will host one without it.

Between 1967 and 1990 it was either Miami, LA or New Orleans that hosted the Super Bowl except for four times.

With all all of these requirements I think we will see a rotation of LA, Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, Vegas, Phoenix and maybe Houston. If a large northern city builds a indoor stadium maybe the NFL will go there once.

I'd even take out Tampa and Houston, and keep it to places that are a destination with or without the Superbowl. Especially now that the Superbowl festivities are 2 weeks long

LA, Vegas, Miami, New Orleans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad