Speculation: Vegas Odds To Win The 2015 Stanley Cup (Updated - July 4th, 2014)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Just for a laugh, I thought I'd put this up here...

Vegas odds are already being set for who will win the Cup next year. Chicago the favourites, Sens in the bottom 3rd, Buffalo dead last.

Chicago Blackhawks 15/2
Boston Bruins 8/1
Pittsburgh Penguins 9/1
Los Angeles Kings 10/1
St. Louis Blues 10/1
Anaheim Ducks 14/1
San Jose Sharks 14/1
Colorado Avalanche 18/1
Minnesota Wild 18/1
New York Rangers 18/1
-----------------------------
Detroit Red Wings 22/1
Montreal Canadiens 25/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 25/1
Vancouver Canucks 25/1
Philadelphia Flyers 28/1
Dallas Stars 33/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 33/1
Washington Capitals 33/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 40/1
New Jersey Devils 40/1
------------------------------
Carolina Hurricanes 50/1
Edmonton Oilers 50/1
Ottawa Senators 50/1
Phoenix Coyotes 50/1
Winnipeg Jets 50/1
Calgary Flames 66/1
Florida Panthers 66/1
Nashville Predators 66/1
New York Islanders 66/1
Buffalo Sabres 75/1

... kind of silly to post odds this early, but I guess you have to feed the Vegas Machine...

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
A third cup in four years would be an insane amount of hockey ... That's a lot of games in a few years

Chicago's played 42 games in the past two post-seasons. LA's played far more games in the past three, of course, but it seems like that angle would make Chicago slightly lower as a pick, too.

The repeat champs argument makes sense. But, I mean, absolutely nothing has changed in the past week, hockey-wise. I'm just saying, it seems early to say the champions are not the best in the league.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
they also could have just as easily been eliminated in the first round. Lets not pretend the steamrolled through the west.

And Tampa Bay could have hired Bruce Banner to play in nets for them instead of Anders Lindback. We could play the what-if game all day, but the fact is that the Stanley Cup champions were just declared. It doesn't make sense in a vacuum to put them behind a team they beat and another team that didn't get out of the second round.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And Tampa Bay could have hired Bruce Banner to play in nets for them instead of Anders Lindback. We could play the what-if game all day, but the fact is that the Stanley Cup champions were just declared. It doesn't make sense in a vacuum to put them behind a team they beat and another team that didn't get out of the second round.

I think the reality is Las Vegas more than anyone knows the role luck (or randomness) plays, and as such they don't put as much value on the last roll of the dice in predicting the next as you do. Much like coming up black doesn't affect the likelyhood of the next spin coming up red, a stanley cup victory doesn't change how good these teams actually are. They've done thier research and ranked these teams, and while performance in this years playoffs was undoubtedly part of the equation, it certainly isn't the whole thing.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I think the reality is Las Vegas more than anyone knows the role luck (or randomness) plays, and as such they don't put as much value on the last roll of the dice in predicting the next as you do. Much like coming up black doesn't affect the likelyhood of the next spin coming up red, a stanley cup victory doesn't change how good these teams actually are. They've done thier research and ranked these teams, and while performance in this years playoffs was undoubtedly part of the equation, it certainly isn't the whole thing.

Good point. If that's the case and they really don't believe LA will win next year, good on 'em for putting the odds lower and taking advantage of the gambler's fallacy.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
If Chicago actually manages to get a 2C for next year as is rumoured they're gonna blow everyone away... Might be worth making a quick bet before they do.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
They've done their research and ranked these teams ..

For sure, but i don't think Vegas bookies rank teams based on their analysis of the likelihood they will win, but rather on the likelihood the spread will even the bets out to 50-50 on each side allowing the sports books to make the most risk free profits.

So it is probably fairer to say it is their researches estimation of the psychology of the bettors more than the quality of the teams.

But remember when we were single digit odds of winning? Those were the days. We'll get there again.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
For sure, but i don't think Vegas bookies rank teams based on their analysis of the likelihood they will win, but rather on the likelihood the spread will even the bets out to 50-50 on each side allowing the sports books to make the most risk free profits.

So it is probably fairer to say it is their researches estimation of the psychology of the bettors more than the quality of the teams.

But remember when we were single digit odds of winning? Those were the days. We'll get there again.

It is a bit of a circle though, because psychology tilts many of them to pick the better teams so that they make a profit.

I'm not surprised the Sens are ranking in the bottom 10. We could surprise some people by making the playoffs if everything goes well, but it is a huge stretch to say we will be contending for the Cup in a few months.

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
In my opinion: Phoenix too low, Nashville way too low (all they need is one good offensive piece and they have the assets to get it, they already have excellent goalie and stud defence), Toronto too high (higher than Colombus?? They kept their coach, nothing's changing)

I think Ottawa will slip lower once they trade Spezza. I'm excited :) It looks like there's only around 4 teams worse than us, that's a shoe in for a great pick in 2015 and good odds at McDavid :))))

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Pens and Canucks are way too high.

Boston, Detroit and Rangers a bit high.

Islanders really underrated. Same with Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad