GDT: Vegas LTIR Knights vs. Avalanche, Preseason Gm. #2, 7 pm MT

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Well, the second period was the Bo show.

Nobody got injured.

Winning, even in pre-season, never sucks.

For the new guys, I really liked most of what I saw from Ivan. Polin and Jedlicka both had a few moments where I noticed them in a good way either forechecking or just cycling and maintaining possession. On D, I thought Hanzel looked really solid at times. Ahcan has a few good moments for me too.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It sounds kinda crazy, but maybe Hanzel makes the AHL and ends up getting into that 8/9 spot on the defensive depth chart. At that point he’s knocking on the door for some call-up time.

It’s probably more likely they just let him develop for a year, but I think it’s a possibility given he’s already 20 coming out of the draft.
The issue might be a numbers game with Hanzel. He has certainly played well enough to be with the Eagles but it is starting to get pretty crowded over there. I just think it will be a waste of a year if they send him back to Junior.

Reactions: NorthernAvsFan

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
The issue might be a numbers game with Hanzel. He has certainly played well enough to be with the Eagles but it is starting to get pretty crowded over there. I just think it will be a waste of a year if they send him back to Junior.
At some point I don't care about the development of the Aamodt's or Clurman's of the World. Let the kid have the roster spot if he's better.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It sounds kinda crazy, but maybe Hanzel makes the AHL and ends up getting into that 8/9 spot on the defensive depth chart. At that point he’s knocking on the door for some call-up time.

It’s probably more likely they just let him develop for a year, but I think it’s a possibility given he’s already 20 coming out of the draft.
Hanzel looked 10x better than Malinski did yesterday. Hanzel should absolutely be on the AHL not back in juniors.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
It’s good to see all the Hanzel love so far but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go back to Seattle for another year and get big minutes on a good team. His IQ and positioning is already good but some confidence and filling out a little more would go a long way. He still gets outmuscled a lot even in the W. O’Dette has said he would like him back next year.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Holy crap, we do have a lot of AHL dmen. Malinksi, Fairbrother, Aamodt, Clurman, Middleton, Ahcan, Schueneman and Hunt. I realize that one of them will most likely be our 7th if KMac truly is done as a dman but there really isn't a lot of room.

So my over-reaction post on Hanzel. From what I saw tonight, and considering he's 20, I think we've got to sign him. One, there will always be injuries and two, screw it trade a dman for a forward or goalie if you have to but he was head and shoulders above some of the others out there tonight. Granted the games will get quicker but that's why he should be in the AHL, getting more experience at the higher pace. I think what he needs most this season is minutes. As many as he can get. Gotta start working on the pro game and keep him engaged. Send him back down at this point and my fear is running the risk of him being able to float through the competition and stagnating rather than taking some lumps and learning at the higher level. He looked ready.

Off my crazy box.

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
Did Ball Arena finally upgrade the cameras? The video quality looked significantly better to me which would be wonderful as the picture quality has always been kinda meh.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
- RyJo had a pretty up and down game for me. On the one hand you can see the ridiculous skill especially on the PP and I'd say almost 100% he's going to have a pretty substantial impact in that area for us. You also saw a couple moments in this game where he was putting in a legitimate effort on the defensive side as well and it gives you that glimpse of the 200 foot guy he can be(Particularly in the playoffs).... But, we also saw a number of times where that lazy and disinterested play really crept into his game. 2-3 times in the defensive zone he looked like he was out for a family skate, gave up on a couple of back checks. Hopefully its just a matter of preseason or still adjusting to the altitude in his first true game of the year, but ya a few pretty lackluster moments for sure.
I'm not really worried about that stuff. Like you said, it's preseason. Secondly, I do believe our locker room is strong enough to remind him of lazy attitude should one emerge. I'm not suggesting we can totally transform him, but at push him in the right direction and that's probably good enough. At least before the playoffs.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'm not really worried about that stuff. Like you said, it's preseason. Secondly, I do believe our locker room is strong enough to remind him of lazy attitude should one emerge. I'm not suggesting we can totally transform him, but at push him in the right direction and that's probably good enough. At least before the playoffs.

It would be on Bednar to exercise some negative reinforcement and give Colton minutes as the 2C.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
At RyJo's age, this is just who he is. He's not going to change here. Gotta deal with the laziness he normally plays with. It usually isn't a huge deal in the regular season and when he cares he does usually play well. More of the question is does he still have his high level of play in him?

My general thoughts:

OO - I'm not as high in my praise. His best game I've seen in an Avs uniform, that's absolutely the case. I saw some laziness, bad reads... and probably the most frustrating thing... his puck fumbles. In a regular season game, those are turnovers and kill momentum. He's gotta clean up his puck handling as he won't make it as a pure shooter. He showed off his cannon though.

Hanzel - Very solid game. He looks pro ready to me. There really isn't a ton of room in the AHL, but I'd probably try to find some for him.

Achan - If he was 5'10" he'd be an NHLer. He wasn't perfect, but his skating is a thing of beauty and he's going to get a shot at some point this year. This is a guy who might be able to add 90% of what G does and for a bare minimum price.

RyJo/Drouin - Lumping them together as they had the same sorts of games. Flashes of their talent, especially on the PP... but some brutally lazy and soft plays. It is tough to glean anything from a meaningless preseason game, but this line with Poulin was pretty bad 5v5. They gave up a ton of chances and 3 really prime ones.

Ivan - He should be very close to earning an ELC. I don't think there is a ton of NHL upside as an impact guy, but he plays the right way with a good amount of effort. He was the best player on the ice last night.

Byram - Had a good game despite Aamodt being terrible. He needs more reps as a PP QB to make that a bit smoother. Would like to see him play in the preseason a lot in that role to solidfy him as the pointman on the #2PP.

Annunen - Scares the shit out of me. His movement is so poor that it will be exposed greatly. Avs are going to have to play perfect defense in front of him and really break up every seam pass. You might be able to win a few games here and there with him, but once the tape is out for a few weeks, he's going to get ate alive.

Jedlicka - Did enough to earn more preseason games. He flashed a few times and played good defense.

Fairbrother - He had a good game. I didn't see any love, but I was very happy with how he played. Some physical bite. Solid positioning. Skating was better than I remembered. If he plays like that, he could be a nice add to the Eagles.

Comier - Vegas has a gem. G with an actual shot.

Maybe because he’s 5’3
Aamont is 6'/6'1" 205... you're not thinking of him if you think he's small.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Drouin is probably not gonna be with RyJo when the regular season starts. If they both aren’t strong defensively, you can’t put them together, although RyJo did make few good defensive plays including the last second when he lost the faceoff but hustled to break up the play and made sure Avs won the game.

Drouin should be with MacK and Mikko, as Nate will make sure Drouin doesn’t make any lazy plays, and you put RyJo with Lehky and Nuke who will help with the defensive game.

Also RyJo on PP1 bumper spot should do wonders. He’s so smart finding that opening and has a very good shot. MacK, Mikko, Cale, RyJo and whoever the 5th guy is, maybe Nuke or Lehky or even Drouin to be the set up guy, should be a deadly PP1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
At RyJo's age, this is just who he is. He's not going to change here. Gotta deal with the laziness he normally plays with. It usually isn't a huge deal in the regular season and when he cares he does usually play well. More of the question is does he still have his high level of play in him?

My general thoughts:

OO - I'm not as high in my praise. His best game I've seen in an Avs uniform, that's absolutely the case. I saw some laziness, bad reads... and probably the most frustrating thing... his puck fumbles. In a regular season game, those are turnovers and kill momentum. He's gotta clean up his puck handling as he won't make it as a pure shooter. He showed off his cannon though.

Hanzel - Very solid game. He looks pro ready to me. There really isn't a ton of room in the AHL, but I'd probably try to find some for him.

Achan - If he was 5'10" he'd be an NHLer. He wasn't perfect, but his skating is a thing of beauty and he's going to get a shot at some point this year. This is a guy who might be able to add 90% of what G does and for a bare minimum price.

RyJo/Drouin - Lumping them together as they had the same sorts of games. Flashes of their talent, especially on the PP... but some brutally lazy and soft plays. It is tough to glean anything from a meaningless preseason game, but this line with Poulin was pretty bad 5v5. They gave up a ton of chances and 3 really prime ones.

Ivan - He should be very close to earning an ELC. I don't think there is a ton of NHL upside as an impact guy, but he plays the right way with a good amount of effort. He was the best player on the ice last night.

Byram - Had a good game despite Aamodt being terrible. He needs more reps as a PP QB to make that a bit smoother. Would like to see him play in the preseason a lot in that role to solidfy him as the pointman on the #2PP.

Annunen - Scares the shit out of me. His movement is so poor that it will be exposed greatly. Avs are going to have to play perfect defense in front of him and really break up every seam pass. You might be able to win a few games here and there with him, but once the tape is out for a few weeks, he's going to get ate alive.

Jedlicka - Did enough to earn more preseason games. He flashed a few times and played good defense.

Fairbrother - He had a good game. I didn't see any love, but I was very happy with how he played. Some physical bite. Solid positioning. Skating was better than I remembered. If he plays like that, he could be a nice add to the Eagles.

Comier - Vegas has a gem. G with an actual shot.

Aamont is 6'/6'1" 205... you're not thinking of him if you think he's small.
I swear he looks so small out there LOL, specially on that one play late in the game where the Vegas guy went around him and he had no choice but to take a holding penalty. Maybe the Vegas guy was huge I don’t know, he just looks small to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad