GDT: Vegas LTIR Knights vs. Avalanche, Preseason Gm. #2, 7 pm MT

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
As far as new / young guys I liked Holland, Hansel, OO and Ivan. Jedlicka looks like a project but one worth keeping.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Honestly I couldn’t tell who was playing half the time but overall the team put in a solid defensive effort. The chemistry wasn’t there on the offensive side of thins unsurprisingly but almost everyone put in a solid effort playing the other end.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly thought a lot of guys looked pretty good.

- Probably the best game I've seen Olausson play
- Hanzel was the best Dman on the ice for my money. Just so smooth at both ends of the ice. Someone mentioned Toews earlier and ya you can kind of see it with him.
- Though Meyers had a solid game, he looks quicker in his decision making and his reads this year compared to last year, at least in this preseason game.
- I like seeing Drouin shooting the puck. He's clearly a top tier passer and I dont think anybody really expected less on that front, but if you're never willing to shoot the puck guys will just cheat and take away the pass all the time. Him being willing to shoot means the Defense cant just cheat pass.

- RyJo had a pretty up and down game for me. On the one hand you can see the ridiculous skill especially on the PP and I'd say almost 100% he's going to have a pretty substantial impact in that area for us. You also saw a couple moments in this game where he was putting in a legitimate effort on the defensive side as well and it gives you that glimpse of the 200 foot guy he can be(Particularly in the playoffs).... But, we also saw a number of times where that lazy and disinterested play really crept into his game. 2-3 times in the defensive zone he looked like he was out for a family skate, gave up on a couple of back checks. Hopefully its just a matter of preseason or still adjusting to the altitude in his first true game of the year, but ya a few pretty lackluster moments for sure.

All in all I thought as a team they played a pretty good structured game for the players that were in the lineup. For all the concerns against the Wild about the Defense and the panic to get someone off waivers, I think 2-3 guys in the lineup tonight on Defense kind of showed exactly what you'd want to see from a #8/9/10 guy down the defensive depth charts.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
OO and Drouin having good games is encouraging. Both of them could use a strong start to their seasons.

Our ceiling is unquestionably higher, while our floor is lower with RyJo as 2C as opposed to JTC. You can see the skill and shot that Compher just didn’t have. The hope is with a usable 4th line this year and more of a checking 3rd line his defensive shortcomings can be mitigated, along with having one of Lehky/Nuke stapled to his wing.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
It sounds kinda crazy, but maybe Hanzel makes the AHL and ends up getting into that 8/9 spot on the defensive depth chart. At that point he’s knocking on the door for some call-up time.

It’s probably more likely they just let him develop for a year, but I think it’s a possibility given he’s already 20 coming out of the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad