Seravalli: Vegas Knights are now in the market for a big time top 6 forward and more ( Guentzel)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I stand corrected on his last play off series . Where missed a game and half with concusion but put up 9 or 10 point....Guentzal has sucked this season and last season. Eye test watching games. imo
By sucked you mean defensivly I assume. He's pretty meh in that regards.

Reactions: PaulD

BEL4SEPICMULLET

Oct 5, 2010
Chicago, IL
What would you think about a rule of having a player sit out a minimum number of games (maybe 2-3) if they have been on LTIR for longer than 30 days or 10 games prior to the start of playoffs? That penalty would be eliminated if they play at least two games at the end of the regular season before playoffs start.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What would you think about a rule of having a player sit out a minimum number of games (maybe 2-3) if they have been on LTIR for longer than 30 days or 10 games prior to the start of playoffs? That penalty would be eliminated if they play at least two games at the end of the regular season before playoffs start.
I would think the first 4 would be ideal imo (both teams first 2 home games). If a team is so reliant that they end up getting swept because of that player not playing then they weren’t meant to go far anyways.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I feel like the perceived problem goes away if you just say the team you ice for each playoff game has to be cap compliant.

Removing waivers and other restrictions to make it easier to do roster moves for the playoffs still makes sense, but icing a team that is over the cap in any situation seems... Well.... Not in the spirit of the rule, no?

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Re Buchnevich - Vegas and St. Louis recently worked out a tdl move for Barbashev just last year so there’s that recent familiarity of doing business

Buch and Barbashev showed great chemistry during their time in St Louis

I’d be shocked if Vegas hasn’t reached out to St Louis

Reactions: Blueston

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
implementing a rule that players coming off of LTIR or IR must be on the active roster for the final 1-3 games of the regular season to be eligible to play in the playoffs would be a way to ensure that teams are cap compliant prior to the start of the post season.

it's probably not that simple of a fix, but that's my smooth brained take on how to address this loophole.
I actually love this idea. Not just active though, they would need to play in the last game for at least 1 second to gain eligibility. That would mean if you had 3 guys on ltir and they all started the opening faceoff, then they count. They don't need to play the rest of the game, but that would mean your team is down 3 so take that for what you will.

It's just crazy that you can have 15 mil in cap space available because of putting your highest AAV conveniently in LTIR and then go out and get whoever you want because you don't care about picks/prospects and just want the cup only.

Reactions: CrosbyStaalsAndNash

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Honestly, I hate the knights but absolutely no one can blame them for doing this. This is 100% a league issue that I would have no idea how they could fix, but they should definitely be figuring out how to fix it.

You have no idea how they could fix it?

Is it any more complicated than saying you need to be cap compliant for the playoffs, not having a roster with total cap AAV above $81.5M?

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
There is a bigger picture here. Vegas needs home games. They are only 3 pts up on Edmonton and LA and Vegas' budget is based upon home playoff games. Obviously they wilk keep Stone and Eichel on the LTIR, with the Pope flying in before game 1 to perform a miracle and so the Knight will have Stone, Eichel and their replacements available for game 1.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
There is a bigger picture here. Vegas needs home games. They are only 3 pts up on Edmonton and LA and Vegas' budget is based upon home playoff games. Obviously they wilk keep Stone and Eichel on the LTIR, with the Pope flying in before game 1 to perform a miracle and so the Knight will have Stone, Eichel and their replacements available for game 1.
1708974410284.gif

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
You have no idea how they could fix it?

Is it any more complicated than saying you need to be cap compliant for the playoffs, not having a roster with total cap AAV above $81.5M?
It is more complicated in a way. I have ideas, but I don't know their ideas on how to fix it, if they have any at all other than saying "we are being more vigilant".

Someone else brought it up in this thread and I concurred that whoever is on ltir, if they want to play in the playoffs they need to be active for 1-3 games at the end of the season in order to be compliant.

I also think there is something to the players are actually hurt and need the time to rest and recover. While I don't think that should change the salary cap, I also find it hard to fault a player/team that got the injured player from playing the game. If it is off-ice where it happens, then they shouldn't be allowed to go ltir.

Another idea I was thinking of was they still have a cap hit (instead of it just being deleted like it is now, essentially), but it is for the opposite way of how it works. Found this from some obscure website:

The pool value is determined by subtracting the amount of cap space a team had when the season began from the player’s cap hit when placed on LTIR.

Instead of it being from day 1 to day-injury it should be cap relief of day-injury to last day of season. Unless I am completely interpreting this incorrect which may be possible, it sounds like the team gets cap relief for (in stone/eichel's case) 5 months of salary when it really should be 2.5 months of salary, give or take.

If interpreted incorrectly then I just go back to the 1-3 games before end of season they have to be active and be done with it, i suppose

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It is more complicated in a way. I have ideas, but I don't know their ideas on how to fix it, if they have any at all other than saying "we are being more vigilant".

Someone else brought it up in this thread and I concurred that whoever is on ltir, if they want to play in the playoffs they need to be active for 1-3 games at the end of the season in order to be compliant.

I also think there is something to the players are actually hurt and need the time to rest and recover. While I don't think that should change the salary cap, I also find it hard to fault a player/team that got the injured player from playing the game. If it is off-ice where it happens, then they shouldn't be allowed to go ltir.

Another idea I was thinking of was they still have a cap hit (instead of it just being deleted like it is now, essentially), but it is for the opposite way of how it works. Found this from some obscure website:

Instead of it being from day 1 to day-injury it should be cap relief of day-injury to last day of season. Unless I am completely interpreting this incorrect which may be possible, it sounds like the team gets cap relief for (in stone/eichel's case) 5 months of salary when it really should be 2.5 months of salary, give or take.

If interpreted incorrectly then I just go back to the 1-3 games before end of season they have to be active and be done with it, i suppose

Not trying to be rude, I could truly be missing something, but the above all sounds quite overcomplicated to me.

Having guys need to play 1-3 games prior to the playoffs would unfairly penalize guys with legitimate injuries... keep in mind you still need to be cap compliant after the trade deadline, so if you backup goalie goes down for three weeks, you are calling up a guy from the AHL... you need the cap space from the backup to cover the call up.

To me it's very simple:
1) Step one: during the playoffs, on any given night your named 21 or 22 man roster must be cap compliant on an annualized basis (ie the way we fans normally calculate cap, based on AAV)
2) Step two: add in some degree of extra flexibility, for example a taxi squad like during covid, that don't count vs the cap, but can be added to the roster without having to go through waivers, call ups, etc. When added to the active roster, they count against the cap... very simple.

I don't see what is so complicated about that... you aren't changing the rules at all, you are just changing how cap is calculated during the playoffs (based on AAV) vs regular season (based on total sum of per game salary actually paid).

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Vegas doesn’t wait around for much, but they will likely wait for an update on Stone. If they already have it, and it’s not good news, you can pencil in a Guentzel, Buchnevich or another player nobody’s thinking about.

They have drafted very well, and have some prospects who are about ready, who they’ll deal in the right moves.

They’re a lot like Boston but have more ammunition to make deals. They also have some extra bottom 6 players, who they can turn into a Top 6, PP player.

Still wouldn’t count them out of the Hanifin sweepstakes, but if they do make that deal, expect Sharangovich, Pospisil or Mangiapane to head to Vegas with him.

They’ll also be calling on David Perron. Still don’t buy Detroit won’t be moving him, as Kaplan reported. They’ve been talking to teams since December on him. If the right deal is there, they’ll do it. Vegas has those high paced bottom 6 players Detroit would like one of, before the deadline. One who plays at a high pace. Perron doesn’t fit that role, and he’s dropped on their PP/Top 6 depth chart. It’s not just Kane. Fabbri is having a really good season, and Rasmussen is taking Perron’s Top 6 minutes, as well.

They’ll move him if they can swap him for one of those type players, and Vegas would welcome Perron back in a heartbeat.

Still think there’s a great chance Perron ends up in Boston, Vegas or with the Rangers. Even if Detroit looks to be playing one of those teams in the 1st Round.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Vegas doesn’t wait around for much, but they will likely wait for an update on Stone. If they already have it, and it’s not good news, you can pencil in a Guentzel, Buchnevich or another player nobody’s thinking about.

They have drafted very well, and have some prospects who are about ready, who they’ll deal in the right moves.

They’re a lot like Boston but have more ammunition to make deals. They also have some extra bottom 6 players, who they can turn into a Top 6, PP player.

Still wouldn’t count them out of the Hanifin sweepstakes, but if they do make that deal, expect Sharangovich, Pospisil or Mangiapane to head to Vegas with him.

They’ll also be calling on David Perron. Still don’t buy Detroit won’t be moving him, as Kaplan reported. They’ve been talking to teams since December on him. If the right deal is there, they’ll do it. Vegas has those high paced bottom 6 players Detroit would like one of, before the deadline. One who plays at a high pace. Perron doesn’t fit that role, and he’s dropped on their PP/Top 6 depth chart. It’s not just Kane. Fabbri is having a really good season, and Rasmussen is taking Perron’s Top 6 minutes, as well.

They’ll move him if they can swap him for one of those type players, and Vegas would welcome Perron back in a heartbeat.

Still think there’s a great chance Perron ends up in Boston, Vegas or with the Rangers. Even if Detroit looks to be playing one of those teams in the 1st Round.
I like the idea of Hanifin and a forward to Vegas, especially if they have the cap space to sign him. I think the forward they'd be after however is Coleman. Cup winner, can play anywhere in the lineup, signed for a few more years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad