GDT: Vegas Golden Knights @ Los Angeles Kings | 7:00PM |

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I'm not sure how you can say PDB's coaching style isn't cut out for playoff success. He's been to 4 Conference Finals and 2 Cup Finals. So there's been no shortage of playoff success. Come playoff time every single team needs to get bodies to the net and score more greasy goals. I'll take my chances with the team that has the puck way more than their opponents.

The PP coaching is 100% a valid concern. There's way too much talent for everyone to just stand still looking for seam passes.

This game means nothing in the grand scheme of things. They just got outworked today. The real big issues with this team are that they are still short a top pair LD and 3 of the 6 bottom 6 forwards are plugs.

Reactions: Vegas07

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I'm not sure how you can say PDB's coaching style isn't cut out for playoff success. He's been to 4 Conference Finals and 2 Cup Finals. So there's been no shortage of playoff success. Come playoff time every single team needs to get bodies to the net and score more greasy goals.

The PP coaching is 100% a valid concern. There's way too much talent for everyone to just stand still looking for seam passes.

This game means nothing in the grand scheme of things. They just got outworked today. The real big issues with this team are that they are still short a top pair LD and 3 of the 6 bottom 6 forwards are plugs.

His teams have been notorious for playoff choking and under performing

Reactions: IceNeophyte

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

I'd say choking is more of a player problem than a coaching issue.

He certainly didn't "out choke" Gallant a couple years ago did he?

Better question is who would be a better coach for this team that can be had?

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I'm not sure how you can say PDB's coaching style isn't cut out for playoff success. He's been to 4 Conference Finals and 2 Cup Finals. So there's been no shortage of playoff success. Come playoff time every single team needs to get bodies to the net and score more greasy goals. I'll take my chances with the team that has the puck way more than their opponents.

This.... ⇣⇣⇣⇣

Works in the regular season when teams don't put as much game to game focus. Then come play off times and teams adjust we saw no changes last year. Couldn't score and spent 10 games doing the same exact thing expecting changes.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I'd say choking is more of a player problem than a coaching issue.

He certainly didn't "out choke" Gallant a couple years ago did he?

Better question is who would be a better coach for this team that can be had?

I mean yes and no. I think his system contributes to a lot of it and it's easier to shut down come playoff time. As for better, who knows. I hate the way the NHL recycles coaches.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I mean yes and no. I think his system contributes to a lot of it and it's easier to shut down come playoff time. As for better, who knows. I hate the way the NHL recycles coaches.
His regular season record is 36-12-3, .750 percentage. We had one playoff and we did after all go to the semifinals in a weird year. Not defending DeBoer, I see some concerning things, I also see a much better defensive structure than with Gallant. The power play is concerning, but I like how he rolls 4 lines and isn't tempted to overwork our first two lines even though without Tuch on the third line, we have two lines that almost couldn't score into an empty net.

I like Nosek a lot more than Glass on the third line, when healthy for the playoffs I like the third to be Roy-Nosek-Tuch, and fourth Reaves-Glass-Carrier. I also like Coghlan a lot more than Hague when Petro is back. I like speed.

Plus VGK is always looking for a rental at the deadline, though we don't have the cap space atm.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Three things are certain in life. Death, taxes, and fans are always going to want to replace the head coach.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Not saying the criticisms of DeBoer aren’t legit, but fans complaining about coaches happens all the time. If would happen more often here if DeBoer gets replaced with another coach that will ALWAYS bring in his own set of problems, and the team wins fewer games.

I think Gallant actually got the least amount of criticism I’ve ever seen for the performance level of the team. Both of his teams here collapsed in the playoffs.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018

Which of his teams choked in the playoffs when he coached the Sharks? In New Jersey his team knocked out a couple of higher seeded teams on the way to the Finals.

His last year with the Sharks his team was overwhelmed with injuries. Wish we played them when they were that banged up. Did he choke when his team lost to us in our Finals run? I thought Fleury saved us in that series.

I don’t see the big playoff chokes. Last year with us is probably the best example by far and I thought Patches was hurt. I will say though that our horrific power play really killed the team in that series. Fortunately the team has gotten much better at killing penalties.

When I hear about a coach being a playoff choker, I tend to think he was coaching the Toronto Maple Leafs or something like that. I didn’t see that type of postseason performance with DeBoer.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Don't want to overlook tomorrow's game at all, but I'm looking forward to the set with the Avs. I think we'll get a gauge of where we stand as a team with them.

Didn't like our effort tonight, it felt like the Kings game plan was to turn the game into a slog, collapse in their zone and play a trap and wait for us to make a mistake so they could have a chance. We played right into their hands and did nothing to force them out of their trap, didn't help that we either don't shoot or miss the net constantly. But realistically, we're basically in the playoffs and we should be working towards being sharp and rested then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad