Friedman: Vegas discussing Clarkson deal with Blue Jackets

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Some really interesting trades are about to happen.

Vegas needs to hit the cap floor.

I'd love the Leafs to unload Horton's contract similar to this. Sure he goes on LTIR but Horton and Lupul take up $10.5 million during the summer.

Would totally pay something not too significant to get that off-season freedom.

This is a must do for the Jackets, even their 1st might be worth it. Make up for that later somehow.

Horton is due $14.1m in uninsured dollars. Kapanen and Toronto's 2017 1st would be the starting point for discussion imo. I'd ask for more if I were Vegas.

For some perspective, Arizona got Lawson Crouse--the 11th overall pick just one year earlier--to take on $3.3m in real dollars for Bolland.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Horton is due $14.1m in uninsured dollars. Kapanen and Toronto's 2017 1st would be the starting point for discussion imo. I'd ask for more if I were Vegas.

I don't see that happening.

But I wasn't really trying to think of a deal, just saying I bet Vegas is talking about taking on bad contracts to hit the cap floor.

Clarkson seems like a no brainer though. Will be interesting to see what that costs Columbus.

Horton yeah different situation when you start talking about actual money the company/owners are looking at.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I don't see why Vegas would do this. Even if it's a 1st +, you have options of Korpisalo, maybe Jenner, Karlsson, Anderson, Johnson.. Why take on the worst contract in the league?

McPhee isn't the brightest of GMs. He is after all the same person who traded Forsberg for Erat. :facepalm:

He, along with Bergevin, Benning and a couple of others, are among the "bright" stars of the league.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I'd love the Leafs to unload Horton's contract similar to this. Sure he goes on LTIR but Horton and Lupul take up $10.5 million during the summer.

This is a must do for the Jackets, even their 1st might be worth it. Make up for that later somehow.

Vegas aren't going to have any problem reaching the cap floor. And they don't have to reach it till October.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Clarkson is the worst contract in hockey and the salary is covered under insurance, but the rest is Signing Bonuses and not sure if covered. LV would be fools to accept a trade unless something like PLD is offered.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Clarkson is the worst contract in hockey and the salary is covered under insurance, but the rest is Signing Bonuses and not sure if covered. LV would be fools to accept a trade unless something like PLD is offered.

:shakehead

I am going to try to ignore most of what you said, but he is not the worst contract in hockey.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

You're aware that MLSE has more money than every member of this forum combined??

varano

Jun 27, 2013
:shakehead

I am going to try to ignore most of what you said, but he is not the worst contract in hockey.

Respectfully, His only saving grace from being worse than Dustin Brown is that he probably won't play hockey ever again.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So 3 million dollars in real money. If I am the owner, I say no thanks unless it really hurts CBus.
it really depends on the owner, if he wants to compete bad enough he might be willing to swallow a couple million in return for multiple 1sts(if other teams attempt a similar trade) and by the time that money is off the books those picks should be about ready to make an impact in the NHL.

Having 3 1sts in 2013 really helped Columbus. And this is an opportunity for LV to literally buy 1sts if teams will bite.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I don't believe that Clarkson's signing bonuses are covered by insurance, just his salary is. And his contract is heavy with signing bonuses, so I definitely see why Columbus' management would want to get Clarkson off their books.

I just hope they don't give up this year's first to get his contract off the books.

you should hope thats all it takes.

If columbus wants vegas to take clarkson over korpisalo,johnson,anderson etc the cost would have to be immense.

Jack Johnson would fetch a late 1st and good prospect on his own.
add in the fact that clarkson would require a 1st and top prospect just to dump.....yeah vegas will be getting a huge return if this rumored deal is true

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

For some perspective, Arizona got Lawson Crouse--the 11th overall pick just one year earlier--to take on $3.3m in real dollars for Bolland.

the leafs arent columbus. not a chance they do that unless it costs nearly nothing. they just took on approx 3 mil worth of salary for eric fehr just to get a late 4th.....:laugh:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Clarkson has been the worst signing in all the years I've watched hockey. Just a brutal contract in every sense.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Clarkson has been the worst signing in all the years I've watched hockey. Just a brutal contract in every sense.

one of the worst for sure. the annual value wouldnt be so bad even if he could hit 20g, but the length was brutal.

Gomez, Holik, Dipietro, Redden are all worse in my opinion.

Redden made 6.5 to play in the AHL

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
To reach the cap floor without having to overpay for UFAs or RFAs.

they will easily reach the floor without overpaying for UFA/RFA
mcphee has already said they havent had any issue with that in their mock drafts

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Vegas will buy a select amount of bad contracts that is if your owner wants to pay the price in picks or prospects ..

The next month is going to a riot lol, I love it..

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Weird cause he's off the cap anyway . Horton was in the same situation Clarkson now in

Why weird? Vegas needs to pick up between 60 and 100% salary cap of the last seasons ceiling from the expansion draft alone. If Clarkson waives and gets drafted that gets them closer without having to pay him right?

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
Clarkson is exempt from the expansion draft:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-issues-list-of-expansion-exempt-players-1.741493

The National Hockey League has designated a list of injured players who will be exempt from the upcoming expansion selection for the Vegas Golden Knights.

In a memo sent out to all 31 teams on Tuesday, the NHL - in agreement with the NHL Players' Association - says the players cannot be used to meet the minimum criteria for their protected lists nor are they forced to use a protected list spot on them.

The players include forwards David Bolland and Craig Cunningham and defenceman Chris Pronger of the Arizona Coyotes, Buffalo Sabres forward Cody McCormick, winger David Clarkson of the Columbus Blue Jackets, winger Johan Franzen and centre Joe Vitale of the Detroit Red Wings, New Jersey Devils winger Ryane Clowe, New York Islanders centre Mikhail Grabovski, Pascal Dupuis of the Pittsburgh Penguins, and winger Nathan Horton and blueliner Stephane Robidas of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I would think Vegas would build a team with a fair bit of cap. At the very least, they wouldn't be in much danger of not reaching the cap floor, not unless they were giving up on taking the best players available just to save money. Or, they would be incredibly aggressive in moving expansion picks around for picks and prospects.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

He's not exempt exactly, just can't be used to meet requirements. If he insisted on pressing his NMC, he'd still have to be protected, but of course that's not going to happen.

I'd imagine if this trade happens, it's because Vegas is anticipating having a ton of cap space, and they will be getting something very substantial in return for taking his contract.

Batrous

May 4, 2016

I'd rather the leafs just wait out the contracts rather then trying to move them for future assets, other players or prospects. After all during the season the contracts if on LTIR give them more breathing room.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
He's not exempt exactly, just can't be used to meet requirements. If he insisted on pressing his NMC, he'd still have to be protected, but of course that's not going to happen.

I'd imagine if this trade happens, it's because Vegas is anticipating having a ton of cap space, and they will be getting something very substantial in return for taking his contract.

No, they also may be exempt and likely are given the reporting in recent weeks. From the NHL's official rules:

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006

did you even read the article?
In a memo sent out to all 31 teams on Tuesday, the NHL - in agreement with the NHL Players' Association - says the players cannot be used to meet the minimum criteria for their protected lists nor are they forced to use a protected list spot on them.

Also from the NHL rules on the expansion draft rules:

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad