Friedman: Vegas discussing Clarkson deal with Blue Jackets

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-might-waive-no-move-clause-ahead-expansion-draft/

8. Monday at 5 p.m. ET is the deadline for teams to ask players to waive no-move clauses for the purposes of the expansion draft (A response is not due until Friday). There are a couple of interesting situations seeping out. Neither team is commenting, but it sure sounds like Columbus and Vegas are working on something.

In the last 30 Thoughts, Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen indicated little concern with potential cap problems. Can’t pin it down 100 per cent, but there is at least a possibility the two clubs are discussing David Clarkson. Whatever the case, Columbus has the 24th pick and some young forwards at the AHL level who might be part of this. Like I said, I can’t pin it down. But there’s something up. Any trades Vegas makes are not to be official until June 21.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I don't see why Vegas would do this. Even if it's a 1st +, you have options of Korpisalo, maybe Jenner, Karlsson, Anderson, Johnson.. Why take on the worst contract in the league?

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
Weird cause he's off the cap anyway . Horton was in the same situation Clarkson now in

Not exactly, Horton isn't covered by insurance and I believe Clarkson is. Either way I don't see the need for the jackets. If vegas were going to play the cap floor game then I could see them taking him off there hands for cheap maybe

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Frees up a roster spot and some cash for the owner, I don't think it'll cost the jackets too much since his contract is covered. And whoever owns his rights won't have to pay more than 20%

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't see why Vegas would do this. Even if it's a 1st +, you have options of Korpisalo, maybe Jenner, Karlsson, Anderson, Johnson.. Why take on the worst contract in the league?

It's not for the Expansion draft, it would be a trade before or after. I'm guessing before and they'll agree on who LV is going to take as apart of the trade as well.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Weird cause he's off the cap anyway . Horton was in the same situation Clarkson now in

Horton was not insured though. That is why the Bluejackets made the swap. Instead of paying Horton to sit at home, they would at least get an NHL player with Clarkson.

Not to be insensitive, but they lucked out because now Clarkson is on LTIR, presumably not coming back, and unlike Horton is insured. I might not be recalling it correctly, but I think insurance covers something like 80 percent of the money owed to the player, so unless there is a fear that he might pass a physical and return to hockey, Clarkson will cost CBJ only an average of 1M per season in real money over the next 3 years.

LTIR contracts still have cost a lot for teams to dump in the past because there are implications to holding on to them such as not being able to use the cap room created by them to cover bonuses during the current season which results in those bonus caps carrying over to the next year. We saw FLA package Crouse with Bolland who had a similar contract to Clarkson with 3 years 5.5M remaining. We also saw the Devils get a future 2nd to take on a single season of Marc Savard's LTIR contract.

If CBJ does package Clarkson with an asset, and if part of the deal is that Vegas doesn't take another player from them in expansion, I'd be very surprised if it only cost their 1st this year. I'd think it would take a better prospect than that to get them to pass on an NHLer from CBJ in expansion along with taking on the contract. If they take on the contract with no expansion draft implications, maybe a 1st is about right.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I don't believe that Clarkson's signing bonuses are covered by insurance, just his salary is. And his contract is heavy with signing bonuses, so I definitely see why Columbus' management would want to get Clarkson off their books.

I just hope they don't give up this year's first to get his contract off the books.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Horton was not insured though. That is why the Bluejackets made the swap. Instead of paying Horton to sit at home, they would at least get an NHL player with Clarkson.

Not to be insensitive, but they lucked out because now Clarkson is on LTIR, presumably not coming back, and unlike Horton is insured. I might not be recalling it correctly, but I think insurance covers something like 80 percent of the money owed to the player, so unless there is a fear that he might pass a physical and return to hockey, Clarkson will cost CBJ only an average of 1M per season in real money over the next 3 years.

LTIR contracts still have cost a lot for teams to dump in the past because there are implications to holding on to them such as not being able to use the cap room created by them to cover bonuses during the current season which results in those bonus caps carrying over to the next year. We saw FLA package Crouse with Bolland who had a similar contract to Clarkson with 3 years 5.5M remaining. We also saw the Devils get a future 2nd to take on a single season of Marc Savard's LTIR contract.

If CBJ does package Clarkson with an asset, and if part of the deal is that Vegas doesn't take another player from them in expansion, I'd be very surprised if it only cost their 1st this year. I'd think it would take a better prospect than that to get them to pass on an NHLer from CBJ in expansion along with taking on the contract. If they take on the contract with no expansion draft implications, maybe a 1st is about right.

Insurance covers whatever % the team allocated to the particular player from their available team pool of coverage. If covered it's usually between 50 and 100% for any given player.

I don't believe that Clarkson's signing bonuses are covered by insurance, just his salary is. And his contract is heavy with signing bonuses, so I definitely see why Columbus' management would want to get Clarkson off their books.

I just hope they don't give up this year's first to get his contract off the books.

That's probably correct as well.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

If his signing bonuses aren't covered, giving up this year's 1st would be a bargain to clear up 10M in real money including 5M this season. I get not wanting to lose assets, but with what other teams have paid to dump contracts, that would be a pretty low cost to clear up 5M this upcoming season and then about 4M next year and 2M in the final year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hey look Wendell Clarkson all over again haha. The new spin...

Vegas Knights with the ultimate gamble... Captain Clarkson!!

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
LTIR is not off the cap.

It's not off the cap, and depending on the insurance situation the contract still costs real money. Not all teams are allowed to spend unlimited money on players. If a GM takes on a contract that requires them to burn real money, they'll either be doing it at the expense of what they are able to spend on the rest of their team, or at least have to be able to justify to ownership why paying X amount of millions is worth getting the draft pick or whatever asset was bundled up with the player.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170214/blue-jackets--david-clarkson-staring-at-harsh-reality

By now Clarkson’s insurance is picking up the tab for most of his salary. If his situation remains unchanged, the Jackets will be on the hook for only 20 percent of his remaining salary each season: $1.4 million in 2017-18, $950,000 in 2018-19 and $650,000 in 2019-20. His $5.25 million salary cap hit will still count, but only until he’s placed on the long-term injury list once the season starts.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
If I am Vegas I play hard ball 1st and decent prospect otherwise you can deal with your own mess

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
What mess? It basically comes down to 1M/year for 3 years. It's not as bad as some of the other contracts around the league.

That's just for his salary. I don't think insurance covers his signing bonuses, which are still quite large (11M over 3 years remaining).

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Some really interesting trades are about to happen.

Vegas needs to hit the cap floor.

I'd love the Leafs to unload Horton's contract similar to this. Sure he goes on LTIR but Horton and Lupul take up $10.5 million during the summer.

Would totally pay something not too significant to get that off-season freedom.

This is a must do for the Jackets, even their 1st might be worth it. Make up for that later somehow.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Some really interesting trades are about to happen.

Vegas needs to hit the cap floor.

I'd love the Leafs to unload Horton's contract similar to this. Sure he goes on LTIR but Horton and Lupul take up $10.5 million during the summer.

Would totally pay something not too significant to get that off-season freedom.

This is a must do for the Jackets, even their 1st might be worth it. Make up for that later somehow.

Thinking about out it, I wouldn't mind trying to flip Milano for a mid-late first if we give up #24 with Clarkson. He could use a fresh start somewhere. I wonder if NYI would be interested? He's from that area, too.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
That's just for his salary. I don't think insurance covers his signing bonuses, which are still quite large (11M over 3 years remaining).

How is that possible? 20% of $7,000,000 is $1,400,000. So, if they owe him $1,400,000 in 2017-2018, that is for his entire salary (including his signing bonus).

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Thinking about out it, I wouldn't mind trying to flip Milano for a mid-late first if we give up #24 with Clarkson. He could use a fresh start somewhere. I wonder if NYI would be interested? He's from that area, too.

Well the thing is Vegas is a totally different scenario here. They might take on some LTIR contracts that are problems for other teams so they (Vegas)can hit the cap floor, and reap some picks and prospects etc.

I think some crazy trades are about to happen not just with players who can play but players who are on LTIR causing cap problems for some teams.

Vegas can probably take on a lot if they get the right offers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad