Friedman: Vegas discussing Clarkson deal with Blue Jackets

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Weird cause he's off the cap anyway . Horton was in the same situation Clarkson now in

I believe insurance only covers 3/4 or 2/3 or the salary, so the team in question would be on the hook for the outstanding amount.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
the leafs arent columbus. not a chance they do that unless it costs nearly nothing. they just took on approx 3 mil worth of salary for eric fehr just to get a late 4th.....:laugh:

Agreed. A dollar wasted has less value to Toronto then wasting that same dollar would have to most other teams.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I believe insurance only covers 3/4 or 2/3 or the salary, so the team in question would be on the hook for the outstanding amount.
From the first page

By now Clarkson’s insurance is picking up the tab for most of his salary. If his situation remains unchanged, the Jackets will be on the hook for only 20 percent of his remaining salary each season: $1.4 million in 2017-18, $950,000 in 2018-19 and $650,000 in 2019-20. His $5.25 million salary cap hit will still count, but only until he’s placed on the long-term injury list once the season starts.

They only need to pay him 3M over 3 years it's really not bad for the Jackets or Vegas at all. It's a matter of an owners willing/unwilling to pay for a player to sit. If LV gets picks for him it'll be worth it for them as he doesn't count towards the cap. They would essentially be buying picks.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
From the first page

They only need to pay him 3M over 3 years it's really not bad for the Jackets or Vegas at all. It's a matter of an owners willing/unwilling to pay for a player to sit. If LV gets picks for him it'll be worth it for them as he doesn't count towards the cap. They would essentially be buying picks.

Portzline is wrong in some regard there, either with his calculations (Clarkson's salary isn't 7M) or his understanding of what insurance covers (signing bonuses and salary are very distinct things, even if we don't know if insurance covers both). Him lumping both the signing bonus and salary together makes me not trust that he knows what he's talking about there.. and just because he's a writer, doesn't mean he's infallible. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jackets indeed owe Clarkson 20% of his salary and 100% of his yearly signing bonus.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Portzline is wrong in some regard there, either with his calculations (Clarkson's salary isn't 7M) or his understanding of what insurance covers (signing bonuses and salary are very distinct things, even if we don't know if insurance covers both). Him lumping both the signing bonus and salary together makes me not trust that he knows what he's talking about there.. and just because he's a writer, doesn't mean he's infallible. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jackets indeed owe Clarkson 20% of his salary and 100% of his yearly signing bonus.
Yeah the guy that's covered the Jackets for years and is our most reliable source doesn't know what he's talking about but random poster on the internet wouldn't be surprised if we have to pay the most amount of money possible that puts us in the worst position possible... I don't see how he could be wrong he said and I quote that he "wouldn't be surprised if the Jackets indeed owe Clarkson [The max]". He says that right after saying he doesn't trust Portzline because the way he lumped money together so it makes sense to me... CBJ must be ****ed

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Yeah the guy that's covered the Jackets for years and is our most reliable source doesn't know what he's talking about but random poster on the internet wouldn't be surprised if we have to pay the most amount of money possible that puts us in the worst position possible... I don't see how he could be wrong he said and I quote that he "wouldn't be surprised if the Jackets indeed owe Clarkson [The max]". He says that right after saying he doesn't trust Portzline because the way he lumped money together so it makes sense to me... CBJ must be ****ed

I'm not sure what language half of this post is in (did you just grotesquely rewrite what I posted because I'm not following) but let me assure you, being a beat writer doesn't suddenly make you incapable of misunderstanding complicated financial matters.

Hey, don't mind the several other posters, including CBJ fans, who said similar things.. we're obviously all out to make sure CBJ gets ****ed by questioning what the specific insurance policy is! That'll show em.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Another factor isn't just money and cap, but contract numbers.

Without checking, how many contracts does CBJ have?
41, per CapFriendly. So that's probably not an issue.

* * *​

He's owed $7m total next year. 20% of that is $1.4m - like Portzline said. Lots of folks conflate "salary" and "signing bonuses" under just "salary" because they think of the dichotomy as being between actual salary and cap hit, not between salary and signing bonus. Choice of words does not necessarily dictate ignorance.

* * *​
I'm not sure what language half of this post is in (did you just grotesquely rewrite what I posted because I'm not following) but let me assure you, being a beat writer doesn't suddenly make you incapable of misunderstanding complicated financial matters.

Hey, don't mind the several other posters, including CBJ fans, who said similar things.. we're obviously all out to make sure CBJ gets ****ed by questioning what the specific insurance policy is! That'll show em.

If you look carefully, you'll notice that once that Portzline quote was posted CBJ fans ceased to advance that theory. :)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's not exempt exactly, just can't be used to meet requirements. If he insisted on pressing his NMC, he'd still have to be protected, but of course that's not going to happen.

I'd imagine if this trade happens, it's because Vegas is anticipating having a ton of cap space, and they will be getting something very substantial in return for taking his contract.

read a little closer

In a memo sent out to all 31 teams on Tuesday, the NHL - in agreement with the NHL Players' Association - says the players cannot be used to meet the minimum criteria for their protected lists nor are they forced to use a protected list spot on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad